Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Top Movies of 2007

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Top Movies of 2007 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Simple concept, me thinks. ^^ Talk about what you felt were the best movies of the past year-- and also mention the movies of 2007 that you didn't get to watch, but are still interested in seeing.

My favorite moves this year, that I have seen are Juno and Ratatouille. Both were immensely amusing, and heart warming. ^^ Juno is absolutely fabulous-- it really is. Ellen Page just does a wonderful job with the character, and her co-star Michael Cera (who was also featured in this years other comedy smash hit Superbad) just portrays his character with such an awkward nature that you just can't help but fall in love with him. I found myself just "aww"ing like crazy over some of the ridiculously awkward lines he spits out.

The soundtrack, too, has to be one of the most fun and cute soundtracks of the year. Featuring some great indie acts-- like Belle and Sebastian, Cat Power, Kimya Dawson, and The Moldy Peaches. It's really great stuff. Playing Cat Power's sexy-sultry singing just after the birth scene was very, very, very fitting. I can't even say.

That movie is just fantastic in ever sense of the word-- just go see it. :)

Other movies I still want to see are...
No Country For Old Men
Sweeney Todd
There Will Be Blood
Persepolis
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Atonement
The Lookout
Eastern Promises* I have this from netflix right now, I probably check it out this weekend.

I'll catch most of those on netflix when they come out. Perhaps I'll see a few of them in the theaters-- as not all of 'em have stopped playing/been released in my area yet.

Last edited by Gil-galad on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm holding out on making a list until I get to see There Will Be Blood. A few others I really want to see first too, but There Will Be Blood is the holy grail for me right now.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not sure what my favorite overall would be, but some that I really enjoyed were:

Reign Over Me
Eastern Promises
Ocean's 13
Transformers
3:10 to Yuma
Sweeney Todd
Gone Baby Gone

Most of my favorites of the year were surprises, I'll admit. It's rare that I'm overly excited to see something. I had a friend here, she moved to Scotland, but before that we used to see films quite frequently. I'd see things I didn't even know what they were about... with our bad habit of being late for everything, it was rare we saw the previews.

Transformers was probably the big name movie of the year that was hyped and I still enjoyed quite a bit. Other series with big names, Spiderman 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean, didn't sit as well with me. Spiderman 3 I found too many loopholes in the plot, and was less than impressed with Maguire's acting. Franco really stepped up here though, or so I felt, and I was actually impressed with his character, finally. Pirates wasn't bad, I was amused, but the original movie was still better as a stand alone than a series, I think. I can't lie though, I wasn't overly offended by the trilogy take.

Reign Over Me, Eastern Promises and 3:10 to Yuma were all surprises of mine. I felt the acting in Reign Over Me was really well done, Adam Sandler was able to break away from his usual comedy act and pull together a rather moving character. Don Cheadle is a lesser known favorite of mine, and I couldn't help but find his character very realistic. As for Eastern Promises, Viggo Mortensen and Vincent Cassal were wonderful. While the actors did a great job here, I couldn't help but find the plot interesting. 3:10 to Yuma, while westerns are generally my thing, I was generally impressed. Russel Crowe made this for me, while I'm a fn of Christian Bale, and I think he did a fine job with his character, Crowe's performance is what won it for me. I'm thinking the ending is what closed the deal, but the whole package was rather enjoyable.

Ocean's 13 I wasn't sure about. I really enjoyed the first one, the remake. I still like the second one, even though the majority opinion here was negative. So I didn't quite know what to expect from this installment. I was very much impressed though, a much better plot compared to the second film and rather enjoyable even compared to the first movie.

Gone Baby Gone was a less popular film that I really wanted to see, and was still really impressed with. The plot was great, and while I'm not overly fond of the Afflect brothers, Casey Afflect did a great showing in his one. I still think the main thing that made this film was plot, I was alright with the acting though.

Sweeney Todd I would have considered another popular big name, or so I thought. I figured with Johnny Depp and Tim Burton's name showing up, that this would get some major hype. I found when mentioning it though, that a lot of people didn't know what I was talking about. I wonder if a lot of theatres weren't showing it because of it being a musical. I saw it twice, and both times there were people there just because of Johnny Depp's name. I had to laugh once they found out it was a musical and promptly exited the theatre. Their loss, really. Due to it still being fresh in my mind, I have more to say. Anyone who's familliar with the play was probably really excited for this film. The most major change I found was with the character Toby, by making him a little boy. I actually found him to be wonderful though, and didn't have a problem with the film. While I actually liked Carter more than Depp, I found the whole cast here did a great job.

As for what I still want to see. After hearing good things about Juno, I'm pretty interested. I don't imagine I'll see it until it's on dvd, because I can't see anyone actually going to this with me. I Am Legend is another film I'm really excited to see, even though I've heard mixed reviews. I'm seeing it this afternoon though, so that'll solve that. PS I Love You and August Rush are two chick flicks I was somewhat interested in seeing, it probably won't happen, but I still had some interest. Elizabeth: The Golden Age is probably what I want to see most, though. I heard it got horrible reviews, but I'm still interested. Of course.. I haven't seen the original Elizabeth, which I heard was great, and should probably get on that.

-My DeviantArt-
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's still one batch of films I want to catch before trying to make a list. So instead I'll make another list.

Best Films of 2007 That sort of Came Out in 2007 But Not Really And I'm doing this to open up space on another list

1) Still Life (Jia Zhangke)- Unlike Zhang Yimou, who seems to fall further and further into pretty but pointless melodrama with each film, Jia Zhangke is brilliant at capturing the anxieties of China's ongoing transformation. Here he uses the trauma surrounding the Three Gorges Dam project as backdrop for two stories of people looking for loved ones gone missing. It's similar to Jia's other films as it examines how people communicate and forge connections, or more accurately, how they don't. It's a portrait of loneliness and isolation in the world's most populous country. Ultimately, the plot is actually the backdrop, and the film becomes about the surreal reality of China. With its images of cities being torn down to be flooded, Still Life could be a war film or postapocalyptic, but the beauty and horror is that it's all real. It's a lovely, meditative film with little action and plot, but there's nothing that better captures the trauma China's rapid change has incurred on itself.

Still Life took best prize at the Venice Film Festival in 2006, and I was lucky enough to get a DVD (a real one, not even pirated!) while I was in China. It's taken long enough, but it should finally be getting a US release in 2008, although I doubt it will ever escape New York and Los Angeles. I consider this my favorite film of last year since that's when I saw it, but it's a completely different beast from No Country for Old Men. Both are excellent and must-sees.

2) Exiled (Johnny To)- Technically another child of 2006, this Hong Kong gangster film at least got a US release in 2007. It follows a retired hitman who's fled to Macao with his family just before the island is ceded back to Mainland China. Following him are two old friends sent to kill him, and two old friends who want to protect him. What we get is a whole lot of gunplay, plot twists (that feel not contrived but organic!), and a reflection on chivalry and male brotherhood. Plus a hell lot of cool. Exiled is full of nods to John Wu and Sam Peckinpah, so anyone who appreciates those two will feel at home here. Those who don't know John Wu and Sam Peckinpah should watch Exiled and then follow up on its predecessors. It fits somewhere in the lower middle of a total 2007 top ten list.

3) Paprika (Satoshi Kon)- A crazy film (or so you think until you see INLAND EMPIRE) and a beautiful one. Thankfully, this anime doesn't waste much time on exposition or trying to explain its nonsense, as a company is developing devices that connect people's minds and let them dive into dreams. One scientist has some dream alter ego named Paprika who's got a host of powers to help people get some lucid dreaming done, including an old detective. More importantly, it's a stunning feast for the eyes, presenting dreams in all their weird logic. In the final act things get really crazy, and all of Tokyo becomes a bizarre dreamscape. Given all the imagination shown, its a pity the characters aren't less cliched, especially the villains, who could have come out of any cruddy anime/video game. Still, a great deal of fun.

4) Killer of Sheep (Charles Burnett)- Killer of Sheep was made decades ago on a non-existent budget, but outside of a few film festival showings it was never released theatrically until 2007. Nothing happens in this film. There is no plot. Instead, it's a quiet slice of life depicting a family in the Watts district of LA. Which means they live in utter poverty. There is no message here--only a documentary-like film observing the struggle of everyday life, love, and childhood in this world. It's a difficult film, and raw. Everyone is a non-professional actor and their skill varies from quietly transcendant to distractingly amateur. Half the time I couldn't understand the little dialogue there was, but it's not important anyway. Still, it puts out amazing scenes, like one in which the husband and wife slowly dance to an old record, exhausted but sensual. This film would be murder bloated to over two hours, but thankfully it clocks in at 80 some minutes, just enough to make a lasting impact.

5) INLAND EMPIRE (David Lynch)- I remember some old Highlander really hating David Lynch (Decado? Blasphemy?), and this film is essentially a collection of everything that makes people hate David Lynch turned up to 11. This film is so oblique it makes Mulholland Dr. look like The Rock. It's weird, obtuse, deliberately hostile and mocking toward any notion of plot, and slow. Yet it's also downright terrifying and intense. The last 15 minutes travel from total horror to an almost spiritual elegy to a hilarious and cathartic dance number. But god is it long, and I'll admit quite too confounding for its own good. Still, if one stops trying to outsmart the film and pin a plot to it, it becomes an enjoyable if taxing experience. Better to trust your emotions and ride out the dream. Then the mixed-up parts add up to something more than the whole.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I remember some old Highlander really hating David Lynch (Decado? Blasphemy?)

That would be me, I like to watch a film for enjoyment factor and for that to happen I need at least a semblance of a plot, I find David Lynch films pointless in pretty much every way apart from as a marker for the nadir of productions.

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Th best movies I saw 2007 have been:

30 Days of night
28 weeks later
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm...

No Country for Old Men - Incredibly shot and well acted all around by the ensemble, this was the year of the Western remake and nothing else made beat the Coen Brothers' adaptation. Gripping and mesmerizing, it does slow to a crawl for the last half an hour but that takes away only a little from the overall work. 9/10

Knocked Up - I thought I liked Superbad better, but it doesn't hold up nearly as well to multiple viewings. Much like The 40 Year Old Virgin, each time I see this movie I appreciate it just a little bit more. It's both heartwarming and gross. 9/10

Grindhouse: Deathproof - I'm not gonna get wet about the whole format and angle that Tarantino took, but this movie features all of the elements that make him great; take no limits action, witty and often ironic banter and a relatively open ended execution of the story (at least until the end). Throw in fast cars and hot girls and you have a winner. 8.5/10

There Will Be Blood - I can't say that I didn't enjoy it, but I'd hardly call it the year's best film. The thing I enjoyed the most was Jonny Greenwood's excellent score; it's eastern flavor would seem out of place for a story that takes place in Arizona, Texas and California, but it works really well. Another film that had to rely on some extremely strong performances (Daniel Day Lewis and Paul Dano) and a dark, intriguing storyline...its good but some of the slowness that drags the movie down at certain points prevents it from touching greatness. 8.5/10

The Mist - Pretty run of the mill as far as story goes, with the whole attacking creatures coming from the mist and the people turning against each other. However, its scored well, shot well and then there's that ending...8.5/10

Almost made it...

Eastern Promises
Superbad
The Simpsons Movie
American Gangster
Into the Wild
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: