Suikoden United and Inspirational Kosher Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Hobbit
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, there was a whole thing involving Aragorn doing ninja-spy work for Gandalf before the beginning of the trilogy. Something about going to find Gollum and the One Ring. Gil may just get to see his Viggo as Aragorn again.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Indeed, the whole thing with Gandalf trying to find Gollum and "The Ring" is what I was basing my thoughts about the movie on. He travels across Middle Earth, most notably to southern Mirkwood, and even enlists the help of the Ranger Aragorn, as you say.

I'm really thinking the movie will be centered around Gandalf and the other wizards, and include Aragorn.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would be cool to see Saruman before he got all Sith Lord. Also be cool to see Radagast on the screen. Most likely they'll probably be able to show other areas of Middle-Earth not shown in the trilogy like Mirkwood, Arnor and the three realms which resulted from it's fall, Arthedain, Cardolan and Rhudaur. The Dales and the other dwarf holds could also be seen. Moria was really the only example of dwarf society we were shown in the trilogy but that was a place in disrepair.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it's only been a couple days since this news has been announced and one of the directors fans have been clamoring for as the person to take over in case Peter Jackson remains just the producer has piped in with his own opinion.

Hollywood Insider EW wrote:
This morning, just 24 hours after New Line and MGM announced that Peter Jackson will executive-produce The Hobbit and its sequel, EW met with Guillermo del Toro, the Oscar-nominated director of Pan’s Labyrinth, who is rumored to be a possible contender for taking the helm. Del Toro flew into New York from London (where he's in post-production on next year's Hellboy II) to do press for the Spanish ghost movie he exec-produced, The Orphanage. He gamely answered our Middle Earth queries.

EW: There’s been so much speculation about who will direct these movies. Have you been approached?

GUILLERMO DEL TORO: You know, I think I’ve been abroad too long. I’ve heard some rumblings, but nothing official. I don’t want to think about it because it’s such an eventuality. It’s the only Tolkien book I read. I tried my best to read Lord of the Rings, the trilogy. I could not. I could not. They were very dense. And then one day, I bought The Hobbit. I read it and I loved it. So it would be a privilege. But listen, I wish I knew. At this stage, after Hellboy II, I’m unemployed. [Laughs]

So when you hear about the project and your possible involvement, your reaction isn't: "Oh no way!"

No, no, no, not at all. I do get those reactions on other things. Many things where people say, "Well, what about you for this?" And I go, "No, that’s not a good match." But I met Peter and Fran [Walsh, Jackson's life/creative partner] when we were trying to do Halo. I think what they’re doing in New Zealand is amazing. What they’re doing, in terms of the way they approach filmmaking — the way I see it is, it’s Hollywood the way God intended it. Because it’s a filmmaker’s dream and a filmmaker's facility. So it’s heaven. The question is: Will I go to heaven? I have no idea.

The idea of you and Peter Jackson working together is enough to make every geek’s head explode.

It would make my head explode! But you know, I think it’s an eventuality. I would love to, but as my agent says, "You’re currently unemployed." [Laughs]

So, anyone who has read the books and has seen the trilogy have any problem with Del Toro as the main choice to be director of The Hobbit. Other names which have come up in discussion have been Children of Men's Alfonso Cuaron, Master and Commander's Peter Weir, and Spider-Man's Sam Raimi just to name a few. I for one wouldn't mind Del Toro who I think is best to do the job outside of Jackson. Though they might want to hurry since there's rumor abound that Del Toro is also one name heavily in the running to direct the final Harry Potter film.

Is there anyone in particular who should direct the movie and the sequel if Peter Jackson does pass on the director's chair? Also, which cast members from the trilogy should be brought back and who should play the other roles in The Hobbit?

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Holy shit, yes. PJ gets what PJ wants-- so if Jackson is interested in del Toro directing the movie, I can see it happening. Alfonso Cuaron would be cool, too-- but del Toro is definitely the best choice. I really don't want Sam Raimi, though.

As for actors, Andy Serkis will definitely be returning as Gollum. I just can't imagine that they'd hire anyone else. Ian McKellen will probably return as Gandalf, and with Viggo's critical acclaim since LotR they'd be hard pressed not to rehire him. All the other characters will probably be all new actors.

I wonder who they'll hire for Bilbo this time?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The biggest thing I worry about with the hobbit (if they try to make it consistent with the LOTR movies) is that Bilbo is supposed to look exactly the same at the start of the first LOTR movie as he did in the Hobbit, however he does look reasonably old in the LOTR movie so I dunno, will they get Ian Holm back to play the 'younger' Bilbo?

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think it would too much of a stretch to get Sir Ian Holm to come back. Pretty much everyone involved in the trilogy have expressed the desire to return for The Hobbit even if they have to play extras under heavy make-up. Finding the money to finance the two films will not be a major problem. The Hobbit and the sequel they plan to create to tie that film with the trilogy are pretty much locks to be instant blockbusters. By filming both films at the same time they save money since production won't end just because the first film is set for release.

Really, the only issue right now is whether Peter Jackson will remain just as a producer and handing off the director's reins to someone else or will he decide to go back to Middle-Earth one more time and direct it. I have a feeling his role current role as just executive producer is due to him directing Tin Tin with Spielberg sometime in 2008. If he was free to do any work once he completes The Lovely Bones I see no reason why he won't direct it.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not a done deal but it looks like Peter Jackson has decided on who he wants directing The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings prequel bridging the former with the trilogy. Guillermo Del Toro is in talks with Jackson and New Line to direct both films back-to-back with each film budgeted at around 150 million each.

Due to the current ongoing Writers Guild Strike there's still no one working on the script for the two films. Once the strike ends the writing team from the trilogy and Del Toro will begin working on the script. The two films have a tentative release date of 2011 and 2012 respectively.

Del Toro Doubles Up for The Hobbit

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Finally! The deal that has been in the works for months has finally been completed. Guillermo del Toro has signed to direct The Hobbit and the film which will tie-in that film with the original trilogy.

Guillermo del Toro to direct 'Hobbit' - Filmmaker signs on helm feature and sequel

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fucking sweet.

Those are the only words I can think of for the occasion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: