Suikoden Unique and Illegal Knowledge Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Hobbit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: The Hobbit Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

J.R.R. Tolkien's classic, The Hobbit, is now one step closer to being made. Peter Jackson and New Line have kissed and made up from their lawsuit and counter-lawsuits against each other over the profits made by the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. With help from MGM (who owns some of the film rights to The Hobbit) to hammer out a compromise between Jackson and New Line the two have made up and pre-production has begun on The Hobbit.

The Hobbit is greenlit

The one thing that may disappoint fans is that Peter Jackson will only be executive producing the film and it's sequel (I'm guessing Jackson will split up the book into two parts to make the running time more manageable). There's still a search to see who will direct The Hobbit but it's still not out of the question as to whether Jackson will still end up directing the film adaptation. The other question for fans now is which of the original cast members of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy will end up coming back for this movie. There's already an official site for fans to visit to help track updated news on the film.

The Hobbit Official Movie Blog

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope the thing doesn't get split up. I think the Hobbit can easily fit into a single film, probably not even 3 hours. If it is split-up it'll just be for the money.

I heard Sam Raimi might end up directing. That could be interesting. The man is at least, you know concise, even when the subject matter gets bloated.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, with Jackson back to the project it will get split into two. Jackson's treatment of The Hobbit was always to be split into two movies. This is partly due to Jackson, Walsh and Boyens adding some backstory elements from Silmarillion into their script to better explain what was going on. Even with Lord of the Rings I know people who still felt a tad lost when it came to terms, names and history. All this even after all three Extended Editions. I can see where they can split the story in half with the first film dealing with the initial travels and encounters underground. The second half would deal with the issue of Smaug and the Battle of the Five Armies.

As for directing I don't think Raimi would fit in and I am a big fan of Raimi from his horror days. But I think his directing-style would just be too much of a distraction. The one name I hope will get heavy consideration (he probably will need to put on hold his many projects to make it happen) to direct if Jackson doesn't do it is Guillermo Del Toro. Of any of the directors currently working in the business now he seems to understand fantasy as well as Jackson. Unlike Andrew Adamson who has a good grasp of fantasy (Chronicles of Narnia), Del Toro also knows that fantasy becomes better in the telling and showing when the artist and/or filmmaker allows for the darker side of the story to seep through.

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm only interested in this if they switch up the world a good bit from the Trilogy. Not that those three movies weren't excelent, I just don't like the idea that only one take on Tolkien's universe gets the spotlight. It'll be a shame if people reading the books for the first time can only picture Peter Jackson's Arda rather than Tolkien's. If they change the portrayal of the world around a good bit for this one I'll be pretty excited.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I imagine that Fran Walsh and Peter Jackson will be doing the script? I certainly hope so. The thing with that is, Shad, that I really trust those two to do an extremely faithful transition from book to movie. Not in material, exactly, but in the feel that Tolkien imagined. I do understand where you're coming from, though-- so I do believe new actors for the few returning characters is necessary. However, with the success of actors like Andy Circus for Gollum, I think they will be pressured by the studio to rehire him for that role. They will probably feel pressure to rehire Ian McKellen for the role of Gandalf, as well.

As for direction, I have been hearing for ages that Raimi was in consideration, but like with Tull, I hope not. Raimi has done a wonderful job recently with Spiderman and Spiderman 2-- but I really don't want this to become an action movie. Del Toro would be freakin' amazing, but I'd be living in a dream world if I said I thought it were likely. One can always hope.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In the end, I have a feeling Peter Jackson will end up directing the two films. From a logistical stand-point I don't think there's anyone who can juggle the many different facets of the production the way Jackson was able to for the trilogy.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The things is: Does Jackson really want to direct the movies right now? You're probably right however-- in the end I can see him getting to direct once again. I just can't imagine another person doing it, really.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jackson's is pretty much almost done with Lovely Bones. The only other project which would keep him from directing The Hobbit is the Tintin film he and Spielberg are working on together.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm thinking perhaps he doesn't just want to be just thought of as that guy who did the Lord of the Rings movies. Silly thing to be worried about, because he is already revered as producing the three finest fantasy movies of all time-- but I can see people in show business being worried about getting too associated with a single genre. He should just go for director and be done with it, though.

Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, as producer he'd still fall into The Lord of the Rings guy trap. I guarantee his name will be all over the thing in whatever capacity he inhabits. He'll probably wind up sitting in the director's chair too, being pressured by the public, producers, and others involved in the project.

I'll just reiterate my disgust over splitting the film. The worst parts of The Lord of the Rings tended to be the parts new and expanded upon (Arwen, Faramir). Epics are nice and all, but there's a lot more to be said for concise storytelling.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a bit apprehensive about the additional parts, as well. However, as this is likely the only chance that we'll get to see bits of the history of Arda incorporated into film I'm all for it. What would be absolutely amazing is a Silmarillion HBO mini-series. I would kill for that. XD However, it's not going to happen. I do think two movies is a bit much for a short book like The Hobbit, however at this point the studios are going to give Jackson total free artistic reign on this project.

Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Book was great. I read it in Englisch and learned a lot. I'm excited as always, since I always wanted to see The Hobbit in the cinema.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with Shrew on the length. I've never read the book, but I've seen it and it is much shorter in length than even one of the Lord of the Rings trilogy books. I don't see how that could be stretched into two movies--and given Tolkien's reputation for going off on tangents within his own books, I'd say it'd be very detrimental to overall story flow to try and include every little detail.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, straight from the Hobbit people themselves who seem to be in the know the project will definitely include stuff which will tie-in The Hobbit to Lord of the Rings. The extra stuff to be added will be events which occurs in tandem to what's going on in The Hobbit and things which leads to the original trilogy. The second film will actually be a different movie altogether which will fill the gap between the two stories. Most of this stuff could be found in the numerous appendices Tolkien wrote to expand on the many different Ages of Middle-Earth. I don't know exactly what they will title the second movie but it probably won't be The Hobbit Strikes back.

Gina Keating of Guardian Unlimited UK wrote:
Jackson and Walsh envisioned the first film covering the events of "The Hobbit" and the second bridging the 80-year gap between that novel and the first "Lord of the Rings" book.
It was that vision that led MGM, which holds the film rights to the book and is looking for new movie franchises, to insist that Jackson and Walsh make the films.
"Once (they) played out their vision for 'The Hobbit' as two movies ... MGM just took the position that we wanted to deal with Peter and it was not an option to do it with anybody else," Sloan said.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahh, that makes much more sense. I wonder if the second movie will follow Gandalf-- since he is the pivotal linking character between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, besides Bilbo (but Bilbo is just living peacefully at Bag End between the two books).
Quote:
"Once (they) played out their vision for 'The Hobbit' as two movies ... MGM just took the position that we wanted to deal with Peter and it was not an option to do it with anybody else," Sloan said.

Wow, they really don't mind if it's obvious they're out for the cash on this project. However, Peter Jackson always was the best safest choice.

Anyways, the two movie thing is much more appealing to me, now that I know the whole story. I'm still kind of skeptical that there is enough substance to create an entire movie off, though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: