Suikoden Uncanny and Informational Knowledge Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Why Can't Guillaume Fight?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Why Can't Guillaume Fight? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He fights in duels when you first meet him, owns a spear and seems to travel in areas where you need to be able to fight to survive (Sindar Highway etc.), why didn't Konami add him as a "playable" character in team battles?
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Because he is just to powerful and would tip the scales to far in your favor. He's absolutely godlike! Just ask Zaleria.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Without an immediate, material goal to fight for, Guillaume simply refuses to take to the field of battle, that's why. :P
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like my answer better! It's far more Zexen, I think.

Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The trend that I see is that all the shop owners are support characters rather than playable characters. Who knows, Konami does have a strange way of portraying Guillaume...
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Without an immediate, material goal to fight for, Guillaume simply refuses to take to the field of battle, that's why. :P

Now this one makes sense! However, it still seems weird for Konami to single him out.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He hasn't been singled out! I would have loved to see Waurenhyte tearing apart some ax-weilding killer rabbit-type!

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, that's my in universe reasoning.

Outside of that, it could have been time constraints, a feeling enough characters were playable, a general mood that shopkeeps should not be usable... Perhaps battling Guilluame in a duel was added late in the game, creating this slight anomaly?

Back to in universe, perhaps he's a good duelist but a terrible fighter in actual battle conditions.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There actually exists a rather bad speculation about this on the main page. It was written back in 2003 as part of the "nation game" that was going on back then (in which "battles" were fought by defending and dismantling Suikoden speculations).

http://www.suikox.com/spec/guillaumenothuman.php

Guillaume actually has a fighting skill (I believe it is Fire Magic) which pretty much proves that he was originally intended to be a regular party member. I don't know why they changed that.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just another one of those "mysteries" that Konami throws at us it appears...
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would seem fairly obvious to me that it would likely be some sort of development problem. Perhaps making the shopkeeps usable party character would have constituted a large amount of code that just didn't have time to be written.

I don't believe any of the other shopkeepers are playable party members, so it could possibly be a lot of hassle to go through for the sake of one relatively minor character.

My in-universe answer is that Guillarme isn't interested in fighting if there isn't a shiny, golden carrot dangling in front of his face to bring him to do so.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
blueflame

Blue Rookies

294148 Potch
4022 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's see Guillaume. I remembered my brother and I debated about this. I think Guillaume really couldn't fight to begin with. Imagine he was dueling a child! I guess he was just some guy who had a spear and who really just thought he could beat kids up. I mean with a grown up man without any fighting experience and with a spear can be sort of like an equal to a kid with a fighting ability. At least that's what I think. I think also he was strong against Hugo probably because of confidence maybe? Who knows? Maybe he was so confident in himself that he sort of boosted his fighting ability. I don't know really. In a really weird note, maybe Guillaume was suddenly possessed by Yuber for the heck of it because he just wanted to have fun with a kid? Hahaha and he was poking on that gate because Yuber made him do so just for laughs. Sorry, I can't make a better theory for that or maybe you guys are right about the part that Konami got lazy in making it and probably since its near their deadline. They weren't able to make Guillaume as a party person. Well, who knows? Maybe one day we'll know in some magazine but I doubt anyone would be curious enough to interview Konami itself so there it will always be a mystery then.

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, he did get punked out by kids and regardless of who it is that's going to hurt the pride when it comes to matching trained armies on the field of battle. Plus if I remember right he was far more of the attempted orchestrator of events than the grunt doing the work, so one would also assume his skill while minimal would be more of a last resort should he be caught with his pants around his ankles than anything else.

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you try to add Guillaume to your support slot, look at him in the roster screen. You'll notice he has MP. He was definitely supposed to be a fighting character and was taken out.

15988 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I might be mistaken but I've heard that he's available through some gameshark codes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: