Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Geographically speaking: Best/Worst names
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Geographically speaking: Best/Worst names Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So I was thinking about the various territories in Suikoden lore. Whether that be a town, fortress, or some other type of region entirely. I think we'll all agree that the names of these fictional places are, for the most part, very creative. It's just that some make you take notice in a good way. Others make you scratch your head in a "what were they smoking" kind of way. I won't sit here and name every single one of them. But to get the ball rolling, I'll throw out a few.

Amongst the best: The Scarlet Moon Empire. How can you not like that? Sounds very regal, not to mention fearsome to enemy nations.

Makes you wonder: Hatred Fortress. OK, so I realize the Godwins weren't gonna name it "Happy Feelgood Lollipop Fortress", but damn. In all seriousness, just so uncreative.

I'd like to see this thread grow with a multitude of opinions. Any and all are welcome.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Generally speaking I've always thought that the different nations were pretty well named. They strike a good balance between being unique, but not pretentious or too exotic.

One that made me think twice though was South Window and North Window. I believe it was some kind of mistranslation and was supposed to be Southwind and Northwind, which would have been much better. I can't say the names weren't original though, since I doubt anybody is insane enough to name a town "Window." Well, almost anybody. Speaking of which, wasn't one of the 108 stars in Suikoden II named Window as well? I believe he was the guy who changed the text windows, funnily enough. Somebody had a window fetish, methinks.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember Window. He was actually located in the Warrior's Village in the original Suikoden. Heh... maybe I should change this thread to include odd character names as well. A guy who changes your windows... named Window. Yessir.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Among the best: Gregminster, Sanadia, Lenankamp, Teien, Rikon, all of Milich's names...
Most of Suikoden I, Great Forest and co. aside.

Worst: Just about everything except Sol-Falena and the Arshtwal Moutains. Lordlake, so named because it's a lake....lords vacation at. Hatred Fortres (groan). Stormfist, Sable, Sauronix (barely) and Rainwall are probably about the only non-groaners and the Big Hole has become a laughingstock for a reason.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh, i didn't mind Big Hole so much, since if you look at it and people would rock up they'd be all "Christ, that's a freakin big hole!" so in a way it's kinda understandable. I didn't mind most of the Suikoden I names, with personal faves being Pannu Yakuta and Shasarazade, in Suikoden II most of the names irked me something shocking, Greenhill and Two River had me thinking if the town was like industrial would they name it "Black Smoke" or "Sootville" Toto had me thinking of damn Dorothy's dog that I was quite disappointed to see no Kobolds there. :P From then on i really didn't care much about town names.

Country wise I never quite got the whole Dunan thing since it was like mimicking Highland except with the whole "Uhh I dunno... hmm dunland... Dunan!" and Zelant just makes me think of Spanish people chasing really big ants for some reason.

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just think its really funny you recruit Jeane in the Big Hole. Tee hee.

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wataru wrote:
I just think its really funny you recruit Jeane in the Big Hole. Tee hee.

He, what really would have done it for me is if you recruited her somewhere called: "Virgin Beach".I would have eye rolled.

I never liked the name "Grasslands" It's just so damn literal. Love the place though, they have killer weather =P
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sophita, personally, I think I'd add Lunas as a pretty good one. I was sort of fond of Gordius as well, if only because it referenced something thought long-forgotten from Suikoden III. Call me a continuity buff, I guess. As for the Big Hole, yeah, it practically reeks of Konami giving us something to giggle about concerning Jeane.

P.S. Speaking of continuity, it would not surprise me in the least to see Demba and Kabaluf in Suikoden VI. For those scratching their heads, Nikea mentions them during your duel in Estrise.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Calvin wrote:
One that made me think twice though was South Window and North Window. I believe it was some kind of mistranslation and was supposed to be Southwind and Northwind, which would have been much better.

Tis true. It was a katakana -> English translation. The names literally are "sausu windu" and "noosu windu" according to Japanese publications I've seen. The part that got translated into "window" is obviously the "windu" part. Miss one little katakana though and it becomes "windo" so I can see why it was translated to "window" although I would have called it "wind" regardless ["do" is a default ending for katakana-ized words ending in "d" (including my real name) so I would have just dropped the "o" part]. But then, where would we be without a North Window? :P

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"High-East" is pretty bad.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Best
Gregminster
Obel
Vinay del Zexay
Most of Kooluk (Graska, Haruna, Merseto)

Worst
Most of Jowston (Greenhill, Two River, Lakewest, South Window)
Most of Falena (Stormfist, Estrise, Hatred Fortress, Lordlake, Hershville)
Any non-human towns (Kobold Village, Dwarf Village and so on)
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Thor McOdin

Stupid Sexy Flanders!

1757439 Potch
4444 Soldiers
4225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm. All right.

Best

Antei
Teien
Rokkaku
Radat
Vinay del Zexay
Seika
Kaku

Worst

Beaver Lodge
Crystal Valley
Grassland
Na-Nal
Stormfist
Warrior's Village

Not all ninja codes are brewed equally. Here at Shinobi, we use the choicest Bavarian hops that are ripened to perfection. One sip and we will have you saying...nothing.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nothing can compete with Lukiae Ende Towayo, the best place name in history. For those of you that aren't trivia beasts, that's the elf village from the first game.

Worst: Anything in Falena that isn't Rainwall.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Good
Scarlet Moon Empire and Gregminster. Most of the Toran region were well-named.
Most of Kooluk.
Falena. Zexen. The Grasslands. Obel. New Armes. Nagar.

The Bad
"Dunan". Yeah, right. As if "Toran" isn't memorable enough. Be original.
Nay and Na-Nal. Drakemouth and Tigermouth. Bloody confusing.
L'Renouille. Plain disaster.

The Ugly
Dwarf Cave, Elf Village, etc. We don't see any "Human City" anywhere, do we?

I thought portmanteaux-esque names like Lordlake and Rainwall are rather natural, given how even many places in our world are named in such a fashion. i.e. -ford, -berg, -port etc. They aren't particularly impressive, but are not all that strange either.
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thief, I agree with you that perhaps its time to give dwarf and elf settlements, amongst others, actual names. This same thing annoys me when it comes to certain human characters. For example, in Suikoden IV, we had "Na-Nal Island Chief" and "Elven Elder". Same thing with the leader of the dwarves in Suikoden I. Why the creators can't be bothered to give these characters names is beyond me. Doesn't strike me as anything that would be too difficult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: