Suikoden United and Irrational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Why didn't Kuromimi go insane (Suikoden 1)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRidley

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah I don't get why Kuromimi was made to look like an awesome character, but was not let to do really anything in the game. After playing the second Suikoden game, I noticed they did the same thing with Gengen. He couldn't fight in the groups wars. The only pattern I see here is that they did it with Kobolds, which now I mention that was there a Kobold in the third one?

Thank you kuwaizair for the signature banner.
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Only Gau I think...

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Muto, the Kobold in charge of the warehouse, was there in the third one, as well.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
LordRidley

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh yeah, I forgot about them. Good thing I am replaying it.

Thank you kuwaizair for the signature banner.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always figured the kobolds we fought in Suikoden 1 (in random battles) were wild kobolds, and therefore not associated with Kuromimi and the others who lived in town. Wild, frontier kobolds.

Before you fight the Ghost Dragon in the castle, those random kobolds come in quite handy when you're trying to level up in the Forest of Illusion.

I've never really liked any of the talking animal characters (kobolds, ducks, nekobolds, lizards) in the Suikoden games, though. I don't know, they just defy evolution, if you ask me.
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What bothers me is that after Kwanda's defeat, some kobolds become OK and some don't. Kuromimi's mother and brother return to normal, as do the kobolds in the village, but you can still be attacked by scores and scores of random kobolds. Walking around that region you can massacre thousands of them (and dwarves too) and no one in the village seems to mind in the slightest. You can even use Gon and Kuromimi in your party and have them kill their brethren! This must be taking a toll on their population. I mean, kobolds seem to be the #2 race in the SUikoverse, but how many kobolds can there be in this one piddly littel village in the middle of the woods? You end up killing half their race just on the way back from Pannu Yakuta!

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, maybe they're not actually killed, they're just beaten back to 0 HP, and they'll recover once they're given medicine or rest at a local inn. If you think about it, those kobolds really have no reason to fight you to the death.
El Leon

Arias

73841 Potch
40 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That raises the old question of "slaughtering or just beating them up". As far as I know you ARE killing random Kobolds. Reminds me of How you could Defeat bandits in S3's Northern Cavern and then when you are forced to fight the bandits at the end you don't really kill them, you just knocked them out. Like they didn't just killed the last pair of Random Bandits.
Suonymona

F Major Brigade

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When your characters "die" in combat, they're only knocked out and not truly dead, so it would make sense that the same applies to the enemy. Yes, that's not true for major battles, but...okay, I have no good answer. Accept it as a gameplay vs. plot issue and ignore it, I suppose.
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You shouldn't really feel bad about beating enemies, if it even goes as far as that. If you think about it, they are bandit Kobolds and Dwarves and they attacked you first. So you have no option but to beat them down or run away. You can't really progress in the game if you don't level up, so use them to your advantage.

Kuromimi didn't go insane as I think he mentions that when he retuned to his village, his people were sick. I can't remember if Kuromimi says anything when he meets Windy but it seems logical. I also used the forest of Illusion to level up prior to going up against the zombie dragon.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The whole thing is a gameplay element, they wanted enemies, they weren't going to change them or make them disappear over a story ark; remind me the last time that happened in a game (I'm sure it has).

Quote:

I also used the forest of Illusion to level up prior to going up against the zombie dragon.

Eh, you mean that Lighting Elementary Dragon (actual name escapes me) that you fight before Kwanda, the Zombie Dragon is the one you fight when you are taking over the castle.
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No I mean for the Zombie Dragon for Toran Castle. Two or three battles and you were ready to go. I believe Kwanda's Fortress is better for levelling up than the Forrest of Illusion.
Raze

Shinigami

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hugo wrote:
You shouldn't really feel bad about beating enemies, if it even goes as far as that. If you think about it, they are bandit Kobolds and Dwarves and they attacked you first.

Ahh, but that's all you see from your point-of-view! Perhaps to them, you are invading their land, and all creatures are very territorial, humans too. Besides, you reek of blood and...well, blood (probably B.O. too...when's the last time you went to the bath house? :P), after killing other 'monsters', and who's going to tell them that you're actually the 'good guys'? All they see is:

1)Strangers.
2)With weapons.
3)And reek of and/or are covered in blood from previous battles.

If you saw some strange person walking around your neighborhood with weapons and who reeked of and/or was covered in blood, would you consider them a nice person? Hell no!

It is much like the chicken and the egg question of who attacked whom, and I refuse to see these random encounters from only one side of the story!

Rend. Slaughter. Devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of Purgatory.
Arenegeth

1978687 Potch
7000 Soldiers
150 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hugo wrote:
No I mean for the Zombie Dragon for Toran Castle. Two or three battles and you were ready to go. I believe Kwanda's Fortress is better for levelling up than the Forrest of Illusion.

Last time I checked you can't go into the Forest of Illusion before Kirkis washes up at your castle and the elf quest begins, so how did you get to Forest of Illusion before you got your castle?
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, you can go into the first screen, I think it was the Holly faries that gave you the best experience and then the Kobolds. It's pretty hard to defeat the Holly Faries first time, not before levelling up on some Kobolds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Backstory, History & Plot Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: