Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kraalesque Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Characters you thought you'd never use...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Characters you thought you'd never use... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

... but ended up loving after giving them a try. That is the question here. Who are they? Or perhaps you have a Suikoden character in mind that you thought you were going to love using in battle, but ended up really dissapointing you. Feel free to list as many as you'd like. I'll get the ball rolling with 2 characters from each category, and will likely add some more as this thread (hopefully) grows.

Never thought I'd use: Kai, from the original Suikoden. Weird-looking Hulk Hogan-esque "skullet", and essentially the exact same character as Tir McDohl. Of course, that made me curious as to whether or not the 2 characters had a unite attack. Boy, am I glad I chose to investigate. Kai proved to be so effective, the balding stick-master stayed in my party until the very end.

Sadly dissapointed by: Mitsuba, from Suikoden IV. Great-looking character model with a cool weapon to boot. So what happens? Her accuracy was so uber-poor, she simply stopped being very much fun for me to use. I basically used her from her recruitment in Na-Nal to the Nest of Pirates, and that was about it for the remainder of the game.

Anyone with additional thoughts?

Last edited by BlackKnightYuber on Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Never thought I'd use Stallion in Suikoden I, but his running rechnique thing on the World Map came in handy.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Biggest Surprise - Thomas in Suikoden 3, if you have the patience to level him up and develop his skills. If you develop him, he can be a very good physical fighter and he's an "A" with the wind rune, I believe.

Biggest Disappointment - Valeria in Suikoden 2. She was one of my favorite characters in Suikoden 1, with her deadly falcon rune that always dealt major damage and never missed. But she was much weaker in Suikoden 2, to the point where she was a mediocre physical figher with little magic skill.
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wolf Stew wrote:
Biggest Disappointment - Valeria in Suikoden 2. She was one of my favorite characters in Suikoden 1, with her deadly falcon rune that always dealt major damage and never missed. But she was much weaker in Suikoden 2, to the point where she was a mediocre physical figher with little magic skill.

O RLY? I maintain that Valeria is still the strongest character in the game in Suikoden 2. Need some proof? How bout this: Valeria breaks the damage limit.

She maintains the ability to use her Falcon rune every round, becomes one of the fastest characters in the game (used to be slower than Viktor!), gains the ability to get a critical attack with her Falcon rune (for 5x damage) and her strong cavalry is infinitely more useful in the map battles than Kasumi's weak archer regiment.

The ONLY reason to choose Kasumi is either for the scene with Tir, or to recruit the other ninjas early. Many people say they want the ninjas for the fight with Luca, but Valeria can get her 5x damage crit on Luca if you're lucky (I did once) and he feels that far more than some ninja claw scratches :P

In case you can't tell I'm a bit of a Valeria fan...

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Falcon Critical wrote:

The ONLY reason to choose Kasumi is either for the scene with Tir, or to recruit the other ninjas early. Many people say they want the ninjas for the fight with Luca, but Valeria can get her 5x damage crit on Luca if you're lucky (I did once) and he feels that far more than some ninja claw scratches :P

In case you can't tell I'm a bit of a Valeria fan...

Actually archers are awesome for luring fortified people away from certain sections, and since Kiba and Kasumi both appear at Greenhill during the "2 pronged offensive" her bombarding can basically herd Yuber into a corner while Kiba is laced in the heal spot and he's being pounded by arrows and magic. Valeria, is less useful in this instance as a battle unit since cavalry and infantry get slaughtered on the approach without support. While I do prefer Valeria character wise, battle wise I've found much more use for Kasumi.

Anywho.

Got shut up by
Rikimaru. What is it with drunk or bloated swordsmen and dealing awesome damage? He basically outlasted Futch on a shit level using the Matilda glitch while the rest of my party was getting boned by Mirages.

Is still retarded
Quincy. yeah, awesome hunter I need so many stars so that you can suck up my back row with shittiness and be completely freakin inept.

Oh why, oh why...
Millie & Bonaparte. Man, you have a pet that reminds me of those monsters who eat shit in Azure Dreams spliced with an arachnid and the best you can do the occasional heavy damage? What happened to that badass we had to subdue? Why the hell are you Frenchie and where did you get the sailor suit? Such high hopes....

Akamaru

492303 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Millie and bonaparte seemd to be weak characters in the beginning, but later on when they level up they pretty much are good with magic plus their not bad with weapon attack

Rikimaru seemed to be a hard hitter gay at first but when the game progresses you get to recruit characters that are way better than him.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Never thought I'd get much use out of Lalacle in Rhapsodia, but she turned out to be a deadly unit thanks to her rare choice of weapon and subsequently the skillset that goes with it. For a laundry lady, Sarah from S1 was also a surprisingly good unit. Alas, neither Yoshino nor her daughter was as good.

On the other hand, I thought Clive and Pesmerga would be omgtheawesome, given their apparent "prestige" among the fans. Ah, how utterly disappointing that I'd get more use from the likes of plain straightforward characters like Tengaar and Humphrey instead.

More recently, Belcoot was a total letdown. After the monster named Kika and her all-powerful incarnation of Valeria's Falcon Rune, the first male user sure failed to impress (from the rune's perspective, at least). Conversely, for the first time, I discovered the joy of Angry Dragon Rune thanks to Yahr which made those Obel soldiers one of the most usable themed teams in Suikoden V alongside Bernadette and Nelis.

A definite honourable mention must go to Lazlo, who underwent a complete turnaround from I-use-him-mostly-because-he-is-mandatory in Suikoden IV to a completely broken transfer bonus in Rhapsodia. That, literally made Rune of Punishment one of the most game-breaking usable True Runes to date!
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nah, Valeria disappointed me in Suikoden 2. Sorry. I had such high expectations for her, as she was always a regular in my party in Suikoden 1. But in S2, the only reason to recruit her is so you can get an extra scene with Anita in the Banner Inn, and to give Anita someone to hang around with in Leona's bar. You unearthed her potential better than I did, obviously!

I found Kika (speaking of the falcon rune!) to be very disappointing in S4, but she was one of my favorites in Rhapsodia.
BlackKnightYuber

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A couple more that spring to mind, both from Suikoden IV...

Never thought I'd use: The net-fisherman, Shiramine. I went through my first playthrough of Suikoden IV with Kika, Hervey, and Jeane as my main party accompanying Lazlo. I dedicated my replay to getting all 108 stars, since I hadn't initially. One of those stars was Shiramine. I loved how he was one of the few characters in the game to triple-strike! Only Gau and Karl spring to mind as the other characters who are capable of that. In any case, Shiramine made my final party the second time around. His accuracy isn't great, but the damage he dished out made up for it, in my opinion.

Sadly dissapointed by: Ornan, the sleepy barfly. When I first recruited him in Obel, I thought, "Cool! He's going to end up being this game's version of Juan!" Yeah, not so much. No way that I'm aware of to negate his stupid Waking Rune, until he gets hit (IF he gets hit), making him next to worthless.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Character I'd never thought I'd use: Trishtan. The hypochondriac always seemed so weird and interesting, and I never even touched him in Suikoden IV. However, in comes Suikoden Tactics he's just one of the better non-story Physical Characters I used. He was especially deadly mounted on a Kangacorn if I remember correctly. Another one I never thought I'd use when I first saw her was Lu. However, once I used her for the first time, she became a staple in my party, making it to my final fight. She's also become one of my very favorite non-story characters in Suikoden V.

I was sadly dissapointed by: Watari. In Suikoden III, this guy looks as awesome as any character. He had a sword in his back, and the second I saw that he didn't use his sword as his primary weapon, I was instantly disappointed. Sure, he's more than decent with how fast he actually is and the number of hits he can score, but I just never got over the whole not using the super cool sword he had. It's weird that he's still my favorite ninja in Suikoden!
Scar

Scar's Scourge

24083 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Plus, Valeria has man shoulders.

No thanks~
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

shikator wrote:
Millie and bonaparte seemd to be weak characters in the beginning, but later on when they level up they pretty much are good with magic plus their not bad with weapon attack

Using the glitch for the average player Millie is hardly a decent magical + physical attacker, especially when you also have the performers who don't then have the 1 use groundhog which is variable damage and often times useless. it's not that they seemed weak, they just were quite average. Bonaparte, when you fight him, is a badass, his use after that is pretty damn piss poor.

Quote:
Rikimaru seemed to be a hard hitter gay at first but when the game progresses you get to recruit characters that are way better than him.

And thank you for proving the point. Rikimaru is the most obvious "man with big sword who has really sucky mdef try hard tank" when unlike some front liners of his category his mdef doesn't suck as much, he doesn't die as much and his speed also isn't quite bad on its own. That you get better later is irrelevant, since last I checked this wasn't in regard to personal choice of who is purely badass and hax for the game. Rikimaru surprised me in that for frontliners he could hold his own where others of his status faltered.

Gaien Magic Men

659144 Potch
850 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Character I thought I'd never use: Millich from Suikoden 1. He may have seemed like an obvious choice for some people but I was'nt a big fan of him at first but when I got playing with him and eqiuped him with a Flowing Rune; he made a decent healer that I could rely on to stay alive, I ewventually abandoned him for Sonya Shullen but he served me well throughout the game.

Character that dissapointed me: Lotte from Suikoden 1. I did'nt like Lotte as much as I did the other magic users; and as one of the members of the magic unit that is a powerful force in the army battles I thought there may have been something there worth investing time into. However its not as much that she was a bad character as opposed to she was'nt anything special compared to the other magic users of the game.

320868 Potch
50 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kikito wrote:

I was sadly dissapointed by: Watari. In Suikoden III, this guy looks as awesome as any character. He had a sword in his back, and the second I saw that he didn't use his sword as his primary weapon, I was instantly disappointed. Sure, he's more than decent with how fast he actually is and the number of hits he can score, but I just never got over the whole not using the super cool sword he had. It's weird that he's still my favorite ninja in Suikoden!

Oh, I totally agree with this one. Why must all Suikoden ninjas be long-ranged characters? OK, not all of them, but the majority of them certainly are. Even Watari's Suikoden III artwork has him reaching for the sword over his shoulder, and yet he never uses it in the game. I'm officially on record as saying that I'd like Watari to return, possibly as soon as Suikoden VI. Given that he's on the run, it would be believable that he'd be someplace other than the northern continent. They could flesh out his past with the Kage organization, and with the one sent to hunt him down, Ayame. But this time, I want him to be a short-ranger that utilizes that katana blade of his. I mean, if Lorelai can change weapons every single game, why not the ever-versatile ninja? Make it happen, Konami. You know you want to. ;)
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It would be nice if they allowed you to choose whether he used the katana or a ranged attack by placing him in the front or back row, respectively.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: