Suikoden Uncanny and Illegal Karma Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Speculative Evidence of Why We've Heard Nothing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archpark

64097 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Speculative Evidence of Why We've Heard Nothing Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://kotaku.com/gaming/games-festa/konami-curious-if-japan-wants-the- ps3-321361.php

This article might give an example where Konami's mind is at concerning their somewhat less bankable series'.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is always Nintendo Wii or even the still-living Playstation 2, if that is their primary concern?

What are the chances that they are considering something more disturbing: like to keep going with this series, or not? For being critically the better game, Suikoden V did sell less than Suikoden IV after all.
Archpark

64097 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's hard to say... but regardless of the US numbers, you gotta think that just based on their domestic sales they would consider releasing it - and in the case where they didn't feel it was flying with US audiences, just simply not spend the money to translate it...

... but yeah, you mentioned the Wii, I think that a survey like that was basically saying, "Is there gonna be enough userbase on the system to warrant a release of a title like Suikoden?" - because maybe they have ambitious plans that they'd be willing to explore PS3 for, but if they felt it wasn't the best for the life of the series, they may just go with a system that is already heavily in circulation, like the Wii. That struggle might be why we havn't heard anything.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a highly possible reason. If Suikoden 6 has already been in development, one would have to assume that they would have chosen the console early on. The development team has previously said that Suikoden 5 would be the "last Suikoden on the PS2," but that's from about two years ago so who knows if they have changed their mind. Suikoden is no "console-pushing title" like Final Fantasy, so Konami would want to release it on a console that purveyors of RPGs buy. There's probably some doubt that the Wii may not be ideal for an RPG title (most buyers of that console may not be the typical RPG-loving demographic). Things were generally "no-brainer" back when the PS1 came out, but the current generation console environment is still pretty confusing.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There really is a major thought in the industry that as great selling a hardware the Wii has been for Nintendo in terms of software attachment rates the system really lags in comparison to the amount of Wii's that have been sold. While there's still a good hardcore group who have bought a Wii a majority seem to be by the so-called casual gamers who would buy the system for it's Wii Sports and pretty much that's it.

If Suikoden VI is in development I would say it will have to either be the PS3 or the PS2. If it's the PS3 then we may have to wait even longer until Konami is satisfied that there's a large enough userbase who own the PS3 before releasing the title. If not then it's a good chance their talk of Suikoden V being the final game for the PS2 in the series will have been jumping the gun, so to speak.

I still think it will probably be on the PS3. The delay could be due to many factors including learning how to develop for the PS3. It's pretty much the worst kept secret that the PS3 is even harder to develop for than the PS2 and that comes from developers with huge teams working on the system. I don't know how much resources Konami has ever allocated in developing the Suikoden titles but if they're not giving them all the support they need then it might be years before we even get the next title.

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think that questionaire has got to do with any misgiving Konami may have regarding the PS3. Such surveys are commonplace, I got asked a few regarding the PS2 in it's early stage.

As it stands now, Konami did mention that Suikoden V was the last on the PS2. Some things could have changed since, but it's safe to write it off until we hear confirmation to the latter.

In my opinion, I can't see it leaving a Sony platform. The series is too story-driven from past games to make it easily manageable. As such, it's likely to be on the PS3, or do a Dragon Quest IX and appear on the PSP.

[SPECTATOR]

672039 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that if they have the game coming along for the ps3 it would still be worth while to release it. Right now there are not that many RPGs out for the ps3 so as long as they do something the least bit cool, like show off to some degree the graphics of the ps3, and the game it's self was not bad, that it would be enough for potential RPG gamers to consider.

Of course my only evidence to back this is that I wanted to play an RPG on my ps3 but there was nothing out for the ps3 so I had to buy one for the ps2.

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

or do a Dragon Quest IX and appear on the PSP.

FUCK no.

Couldnt Konami be the ones to break in the PS3 as an RPG console? So far the only RPG I can think of for PS3 will be the FF series, but that's indeed a major one. RPG gamers are still wondering if there will be anything other than that, though - so why not help them make a choice, and get the RPG gamers to pick up the game while there's still little selection?

64097 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's a few RPGs and not complete trash ones that are in the PS3 line up or coming out. Folklore got good reviews and looks pretty, I only played the demo myself. White Knight Story by the guys that made Dark Cloud(which I like a fair bit, DC2 anyway) ... and of course FF games.

Hard to say for sure... only thing I can guarantee is that the only people more frustrated than developers working with PS3 are Suikoden fans.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Given Konami's previous comments that S5 would be the last Suikoden game for the PS2, I think we can expect to see the next game come out on the PS3. Although maybe they're holding back the release until more people buy PS3s....that would make sense.

We had 3 Suikoden games (S4, Tactics and S5) within a 2-year span, so we were probably due for some downtime in the series, anyway. I don't mind....it provides more time for PS3s to come down in price.
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't mind waiting either--it gives me time to catch up on the Suikodens I have't finished yet! Also, it gives me a chance to cool off my frustration with Sony and get over my dislike of the PS3.

Besides, if they just crank it out in order to get it out the quality of the game is likely to suffer, and I don't think any of us would like to see that happen. If the PS3 is really that hard to develop for anyway, they might want to wait until they can devote a little more time and resources to the game before they even announce it...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Vertius

The Runic Fletchers

629970 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
Quote:

or do a Dragon Quest IX and appear on the PSP.

FUCK no.

Hehe, I didn't say I wanted it to happen, it was just a possibility. I want it to be on the PS3, or at least a seventh-generation console.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just think production costs for the Playstation 3 are so high that it kills off a lot of the less popular games and leaves us with the generic Final Fantasy type thing over and over.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
I just think production costs for the Playstation 3 are so high that it kills off a lot of the less popular games and leaves us with the generic Final Fantasy type thing over and over.

Which leads me to believe that Konami is probably waiting to see if the PS3 userbase will ever grow to a size big enough that developing the game for the PS3 will not be a money-pit and actually turn in a profit. The only flaw in that strategy is the fact that there are those gamers who will not buy a PS3 unless games still to be announced for the system actually gets an official announcement.

I mean how many people here are holding off on getting a PS3 because Suikoden VI hasn't been announced as coming out for it. Or any of the other rpg franchises not named Final Fantasy.

There's also something to factor in to this issue. If Konami does decide to make the game for the PS3 will they make a decision to push the graphics for the first time or will they decide to cut development cost and create a game that probably belongs more on the PS2.

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Another thing to consider is that Konami has never spearheaded its video game offerings with new systems, mostly likely for some the reasons already mentioned. Suikoden I was released a year after the Playstation console came out, and Suikoden III was released close to 2 years after the Playstation 2 console came out. Its been exactly a year and 2 days since the launch of the Playstation 3 console, and I think it would be reasonable to expect a Suikoden title to follow the same trend of being released after a console has already been established, meaning the end of 2008 or possibly into 2009 if the plan is to keep the series on the Playstation 3.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden VI Speculation & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: