Suikoden United and Illegal Kraalesque Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden Unites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Suikoden Unites Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm surprised no one has brought up the Unite attacks, considering that they've been a staple since S1. The types of Unites are nicely balanced in each game, some dealing massive damage to one enemy (great for bosses), while group attacks are better for random encounters. And I liked the unique S2 feature of getting power up items in the rope-climbing game for certain Unites.

Of the Unites I've seen, I'll comment on some notables, mostly for S2:

Family Attack (Riou & Nanami): favorite single-attack. The screen goes quiet and you hear nothing but fifteen nasty blows, the view changing every time. And whenever Nanami goofs off during the other version of the Unite, it cracks me up every time. Having a Balance Rune on Nanami will make things a million times easier, too

Buddy Attack (Riou & Jowy): favorite multi-attack. While Jowy having the Bo stick is okay, him doing it with his sword is much cooler. Too bad you can only use that version against Gorudo...

Groupie Attack (Nina & Flik): I wouldn't want to be Nina while spinning around like that... lucky for her, she has her unwilling knight in blue

Bow Wow Attack (Gengen/Gabocha & Shiro): very silly, yet surprisingly strong

Five Squirrel Attack: Considering the effort it takes to find them all, you'd think they'd have a 5x damage attack or something, but noooo...

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Dredge

Crimson Icarus

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are many different Unites that I like.

1.Cross Attack(Flik & Viktor) it does 1.5 damage which is a pretty decent unite attack. What really makes it good is that they both have strong attacks so it does alot of damage. Plus their two of the coolest characters in the whole Suikoden series.

2.Twin Fighter Attack(Long Chan Chan & Wakaba) This unite is hard to do because both characters have to be beserk for it to work. But it does three times damage and that's a major attack. Plus it just looks pretty cool.

3. Servant Attack(Siera, Bob and Bolgan) This attack is really sweet is does 4 times the damage on on enemy. It looks really cool and there all pretty good characters without this Unite attack.

4.Pirate Attack(Sigurd & Hervey) These two are some of my favorite characters in Suikoden 4. THere pirates which is really cool and the attack is simple but i still like it alot.

That's all the unite attacks I can think of that I really like. I don't have any Suikoden 1 unites in there because i havn't played it in so long i forgot most of them.
Fuzi0n

[Angry mob]

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was really disapointed by the lack of unite attacks in S4, well, they were there, but with characters nobody ever used. Or you had to use them for a certain amount of fights until it was unlocked.
Captain Hero

Forsaken Elites

194469 Potch
361 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I loved the Double Sword Attack by Kika and the Hero, I used it till the end of the game :P

Quote:
I was really disapointed by the lack of unite attacks in S4

yep, I noticed this part, too. and I wasn't that hyped about using every character in the game just to find all possible unites. :roll:

Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While we're on the subject, I was wondering: What does levelling up a unite attack in S4 do, exactly? Just make it more powerful?

My personal favourite unite attack is the Twin Fighter Attack, because it uses two of my favourite characters- LC Chan and Wakaba. Whoo!

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes it makes the attack stronger.

My favorite unites were the Cross attack from Flik and Viktor, the True Friends attack from Hero and Snowe, Best Friends attack Riou and Jowy and the Circus Attack from Bolgan, Rina and Eilie.

Oh almost forgot, the Pirate attack from Sigurd and Hervey, Love that one.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite unites of all time:

Suikoden I:
1. Beat 'em Up Attack (Pahn & Ronnie Bell) - this is my favorite single target unite attack. My only problem with that is that Pahn takes too long to beat the enemy up.
2. Master-Pupil Attack (McDohl & Kai) - favorite multiple target unite attack. It makes quick work of the enemies.

Suikoden II:
1. Buddy Attack (Riou & Jowy) - favorite multiple target unite attack. The fact that it does normal damage to ALL enemies is a real lifesaver, especially at the Sindar Ruins. The version two (Jowy with a blade) looks much cooler.
2. Double Leader Attack (Riou & McDohl) - This is like the replacement to the Buddy Attack, plus I like to two heroes when they both make the post before doing the unite.
3. Family Attack (Riou & Nanami) - Nanami's weapon is pretty strong early on to neutralize her low strength, and with a *Balance and *Fury on her, they can do awesome damage with this unite.
4. Groupie Attack (Flik & Nina) - Kinda like the Family Attack, only stronger, and makes Nina toasty. Don't let the comical effect fool you. This unite helped me in the battle with Luca. Imagine that... Nina spinning like crazy and hitting Luca Blight.
5. Twin Fighter Attack (LC Chan & Wakaba) - Unlimited use when you have a *Fury on both, and it does 3x damage!!! That's a total of 4.5x damage on one enemy. Pretty cool.
6. Ninja Attack (Mondo & Kasumi) - I've always liked ninjas, and this unite is just pretty neat. It saved my life when it knocked Luca down too, so that's a plus.

Favorite unites in Suikoden III and IV coming up a little later.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Come on guys! I thought there was a no SIV spoiler rule in effect. UUUUGH, I haven't played it yet! GRRR!

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well didnt SARS remove the restrictions on Suikoden IV info (say's something about that on the main page)
Still though, spoilers should still be marked.......just incase!
So i will be posting my favourite unites from all four games in the series, watch out for spoilers below;

As for my favourite unite attacks;
Cross Attack with Flik & Viktor
Master-Pupil Attack with McDohl & Kai
Buddy Attack with Riou & Jowy
Double Leader Attack with Riou & McDohl
Family Attack with Riou & Nanami
Mercenary B with Geddoe, Queen, Ace, Joker & Jacques
True Friends Attack with Hero and Snowe
Double Sword Attack with Hero and Kika
Adonis Attack with Sigurd, Hervey and Helmut
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, yeah... I never finished my list.

Suikoden III:
1. Condemnation (Landis & Ayame) - Who doesn't love this unite? High damage, pretty much usable every turn if you have a Yellow Scarf on Landis, and fastest to cast single target unite attack. Fury + Double-strike on Landis, and another Fury on Ayame and this unite is pretty much the pwnage.
2. Best Effort (Cecile & Thomas) - I like it when these two young characters kick the enemy's ass. If you can prevent the unbalance of Thomas, then this unite is pretty much usable per turn. Add to that the fact that it has a 1/8 chance to do 3x damage. Really cool to have during Thomas' chapters.
3. Mounted (Sgt. Joe & Shabon) - This is pretty cool since it also hits the other enemies. Shabon has very high damage because of her high number of swings, and she also has three rune slots, so Fury+Double-strike+Warrior on Shabon, and Fury+Double-strike on Sgt. Joe will do great damage. Careful on Shabon though, as she has pretty low HP and magic defense.
4. Mercenary A (Joker & Ace) - Saved my hide a bunch of times. That's pretty much the only reason.
5. Knight A (Percival & Borus) - Another hide-saver. Helped me a lot during the battle with Sarah.
6. Bow Wow (Koroku, Koichi, Connie, Kosanji & Kogoro) - It's hella funny, but does pretty high damage, but I guess that's just because that's the collective damage of all the dogs.
7. Mercenary B (Geddoe, Queen, Ace, Joker & Jacques) - It's a pretty awesome boss battle ender, cause it's really really cool.
8. Fighter (Juan & Emily) - Both have pretty high attack, so it pretty much nullifies the drawback of being able to use it only once at battle because when they use it, the enemies are pretty much dead or at least weak for the final blow anyway.

Coming up are my Suikoden IV faves, so those who don't want to be spoiled, avoid this part now...

Suikoden IV:
1. True Friendship Attack (Hero & Snowe) - This is the strongest single target combo attack in the game. Equip Ogre Set, 3 Power Rings, Warrior and Double-strike Runes on both and watch yourself hit the 5,000 damage mark. It reaches up to 7,000 if you level it up to Level 3.
2. Berserker Attack (Gau & Dario) - This is the strongest multiple target combo attack in the game. It does normal damage against all enemies, like the Buddy Attack, and Dario's low speed will be neutralized by Gau's high speed when doing this attack. Add to that both are physical powerhouses it is really a strong attack. Ogre Set, 3 Power Rings, Warrior and Double-strike on both again for higher damage.
3. Nymph Attack (Rita, Millay & Viki) - These are three of my favorite characters, and the unite is not bad either. The only drawback is that Viki and Rita are pretty slow, and both have pretty low strength so it's not necessarily practical always, but still, I like it because the like the characters.

Last edited by Justice Johnny on Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Captain Hero wrote:
I loved the Double Sword Attack by Kika and the Hero, I used it till the end of the game :P

So did I, until I put a Fury Rune on Kika and watched her Falcon Rune do 10 times the damage it did previously... Screw the Unite.
Earthquake923

SB90's Mechanized Monsters

179201 Potch
0 Soldiers
778121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm I wonder if they will actually use Unites in the battle system. Unfortunatly there are no "parties" in which a unite would work. At least no parties I've seen. But it would be a cool idea. I just can't imagine how it would be handled. I guess the Nations leader could assign the Heros to each other as they see fit, and the group comes up with a special attack for extra damage.
Atavaka

Werewolf Brigade

Location: Fort Retto, which just got a Senseo Cappucino Maker ^_^
0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's a really interesting thought. Perhaps the next evolution of the dueling system will contain parties. Who knows? It would probably be sort of difficult to make a program for something like that, though (says the person who knows nothing about programming). And how would a unite attack be decided upon? It would be very un-Suikoden-like for anyone to start a unite with some random person they barely even know.

As for favorite unites, I was always partial to the Family Attack from Suikoden II. I also used to enjoy the unite between Riou and Tir, but it was more for the damage that came from the attack than from the actual animation. Back when I first started playing Suikoden, I also used to use Kai and his unite with Tir. After a while, I dropped Kai completely, but those really were the days...

As for Suikoden IV, I was never overly fond of the Twin Blades unite. True Friendship, on the other hand, was awesome. I definitely agree about the lack of unites in IV (which is one of the reasons I miss my 6-character party), but I thought the attack animations were the most detailed in the series. And they were pretty short, too (compared to Suikoden III unites, anyways; I always felt those were a little too slow).
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, i only played II and IV, but out of those:

Best Effort: I think that it does pretty well.

Mercnary B (Geddoe, Queen, Ace, Joker and Jacques):
It's got Geddoe.
It's for Ace.
It's got Jacques.
They're all over the place! (My poor, feeble, attempt at rhyming)

Mercenary C/D (Duke, Elaine, Gau and Nicholas):
Yay to Duke
Yay to Elaine
and one more yay to Nicholas. They are all cool.

Double Sword Attack (Kika and Tenkai):
It's ok. Not bad.

Great Sword Attack A (Izak, Axel and Selma):
They are all cool. Well, i don't like Axel that much. But it'll be good for crowd clearing.

Great Sword Attack B (Selma and Mitsuba):
I like big swords.

I don't like some of the unites in IV. They kind of look tacky. Like the Friendship Attack and the Pirate Attack. They don't look special.

Question: Any idea on how to do those Magic Attacks? I read in that booklet that the people need their 4th level spell. But how do you get them? I know that you need to fight some 10 battles or so to get the normal unites and stuff. But how do you get the Magic Unites?
I figure that i'll put it here, rather than put it as a topic in the Suikoden IV Forum and have it answered quickly and then forgotten.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only rune combo I remember is Scorched Earth (Fire+Earth), cause I use it in the training hall, but I remember the rune combinations. All you need to do is have two level four spells. It can be two level four spells from the same person, or a level four spell from one person, and a level four spell on another. If it's in one person, the combination spell is already displayed when choosing spells. If it's in two different persons, you have to cast both level four spells in order for these to work. Now, for the rune combinations itself...

Fire+Earth (Scorched Earth)
Earth+Wind
Wind+Water
Water+Lightning
Lightning+Fire

I don't know the names of the spells, but I'm pretty sure that's the available rune combos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: