Suikoden Ugly and Informational Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Bacon gives you cancer.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Bacon gives you cancer. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just watched BBC News, at first i thought it was a joke, but a group of scientist have published a report stating that sugary drinks, Bacon, ham, salami and many pre packed foods can increase you chances of getting cancer.

It even goes as far to state that you have to nearly underweight to avoid the heightened risk of cancer. The report refers to mainly bowel cancers.

You can read the news story here.

So what's your opinion on this recent development?

Personally, i am sick of people telling me that everything gives me cancer.
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not surprised actually. Actually, there are many common things that increases your chances of getting cancer. Unless a person is already in very poor health or plans to eat those products almost on daily, then the chances of getting bowel cancer is not that high as long as a person maintains a balanced diet and exercises occasionally.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well this doesn't surprise me all that much. There's an ingredient used in curing foods like bacon and salami who's name escapes me at the moment, but it's this nasty pink powder stuff. And I remember being told in class never to ever touch this stuff with your hands, and try not to inhale it in. So there's some nasty stuff that goes into curing meats.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Sailor Sexy

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since when is this recent? Actually, reading the article is says that there is no new research made. This has been floating around for years. It doesn't matter one bit, bacon is delicious, so if the chance of cancer is what one has to go through to enjoy pork goodness, then it's a price well worth paying. Plus, reading the article further, you have the researchers saying that eating those foods in moderation won't hurt anything either. Just don't go eating a pound of bacon each day. Again, it's nothing more than the news media blowing things out of proportion, BBC is not some shining paragon of the news media, above sensationalizing a non-story.

~Uguu!~
UCPesmerga

The Hidden Foxes

221997 Potch
26 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have come to the conclusion that everything in large doses gives you cancer. With all the research out there, this must be the case.
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mod Edit: If you have not got anything constructive to say do not say anything at all.

Flying Bolts of Doom

680830 Potch
3700 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh well. May as well heighten my already heightened risk of getting cancer. Gogo oncogenes! On a more serious note, if being underweight cancels that out, I think I'm good. :P
Amyral

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everything gives you cancer. In fact, sitting there, there is probably somethign in your apartment that is somehow giving you cancer. There will be a report at some point that will tell you that something else will give you cancer and another report debunking the first report. If you don't die of disease or accident early, odds are that you'll die of some form of cancer. I'm not going to change my diet because of any story like this because, let's face it, even if its true most of these stories include such large doses that it's infeasible and the increased risk isn't as big as they make it out to be.

Remember the saccharine scare? If not, there was a study reporting that it caused cancer, causing there to be big ordeal about sugar substitutes. The problem? The scientists who did the study fed rats so much saccharine per body mass that it was virtually impossible for humans to even consume that amount.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1156566 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bacon gives you cancer. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

AA wrote:

Personally, i am sick of people telling me that everything gives me cancer.

Being sick of people who tell you things can give you cancer increases your risk of cancer! Oh no now me pointing this out has increased mine, we're all doomed!

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING!

*flails*

We have studies which show that eating red meat is helpful to the various systems of the human system, we studies saying that those studies are nothing but anti hippy bullshit and we have other studies made by chipmunks that those studies are simply studies for debunking other studies and this studies are bloody useless for guidlines. I mean recommendations for not getting cancer as an adult is to not gain weight as an adult, if this were true how many people over the decades would have then contracted cancer through simply their lifestyle, and yet numbers aren't increasing at such a dramatic rate that everyone's boned.

Perhaps instead of wasting time on this shit they should, oh I don't know actually work on better alternatives, screenings, medication and such, because it's all well and good to pop up and say "now kiddies, sugary drinks give you cancer!" but what fucking good is that going to do?

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
In fact, sitting there, there is probably somethign in your apartment that is somehow giving you cancer

Actually, i do remember a report i saw once that suggested that your Sofa could cause cancer since you ass is very absorbent and draws in the chemicals used to make the furniture anti-flammable.

I hope this story doesn't suddenly have everyone panicking about food stuffs and starving themselves thin to avoid cancer, i have already heard rumours of groups wanting warning labels similar to the ones on cigarettes put on these foods.
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

UCPesmerga wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that everything in large doses gives you cancer. With all the research out there, this must be the case.

I completely agree

Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Regardless whether it is bacon or ham, it can actually be any kind of meat.
Meats are perserved and offered that nice 'red' coloring due to Sodium Nitrite which according to majority of studies and research is carcinogenic. So it isn't technically new that bacon and ham could be culprits of cancer. They knew this for quite some time due to chemicals that the industries put on their meats.

La Morte

844834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not going to have sex! It gives me cancer!
I'm not going to smoke weed, it gives me cancer!
I'm not going to eat vegetables! Why? CANCER!
DON'T JACK OFF IT'LL GIVE YOU CANCER! augh!
Don't walk or use your legs at all or you'll get cancer!
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I knew about this for quite some time. I was reccomended a low fat, low-dairy, low-wheat diet due to my increased risk of colon cancer. And I'm damn sick of chicken and vegetables 3 meals a day.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm hoping for diabetes, myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: