Suikoden Ugly and Infamous Keystone Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

How can this site survive?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11326166 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: How can this site survive? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is a what if question.

If there will be no further Suikoden sequel in the future, how can this site continue on?

Even if this site has loyal members who stay for ever, without new blood, communities stagnate and die. Because this site relies on Suikoden, if Suikoden dies as a series, so will the community because rarely will a dead series generate new fans.

What do you think this site needs to do to continue surviving, if suikoden is indeed dead?
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do not come here for Suikoden discussion, I come because I have friends here and because of the interactive war game, which has a lot of non-suikoden elements already. But, I have no idea whether or not I'm in the minority or majority in this case.

I do agree though, without new blood, this place will likely fall, as adding anything new will become difficult and this place will become stagnant. The only way I can think of to make this place survive is adding in other stuff to the mix other than Suikoden, but then it wouldn't be a Suikoden site at all.

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd suggest puppies. Lots and lots of puppies; Even John Laylfield likes puppies. Or perhaps something adding extreme before the site, and enticing people under a false pretext. EXXXTREME SUIKOX, for when you need something a bit different.

But seriously, if Suikoden were truly dead, this site has evolved from being a Suikoden site with a forum for discussion, to a forum, with an site on the side. I'm hazarding a guess here, but I doubt anyone who's a member here checks the main site on a regular basis. What this site is about now is community, and that's what will draw the new members in.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

New members often find and join the site without any prompting from a sequel, but there would definately be a decline in how many come I think.
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I too come here mainly for the community, it was only a spurious Suikoden type link which brought me here in the first place - once I was here the unique nation/war system kept me here.

If I had to give a suggestion it would be to expand and promote the nation/war system aspect but keeping Suikoden as the veneer on top.

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You ask this as a "what-if" question, but after that editorial that you wrote, I'm going to wonder if you've found any new evidence that points to Konami cutting off Suikoden for good.

And if that's the case, would it be possible that another game company could take over the series?

But, like everyone before me, I come here 'cause of the community. Sure, if there's a question I have about Suikoden, here's the place, but that's not really why I come here.

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I came for the Suikoden, but stayed for the people. If this site was just purely Suikoden Discussion then I would have left awhile ago I think or at least would not check this multiple times a day =/

I know this is a what if question, but I beg of you please do not go starting adding a bunch of new pointless features that just clutter up the site.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From someone who migrated from another rpg fan forum site I can honestly say that this place seems to have adjusted much better from being just a site about one particular game series to being a community in which other topics and subjects get heavy discussion.

Even if the game series ends I think the war game instituted by the people running the site has created enough backstory and interest that will go beyond the final Suikoden game. The war game may not be for everyone but even the newest person who decides to stick it out past the first month will usually start asking about it.

Other than keeping what's currently being done fresh and maybe get some input from those willing to help the site, I think the only thing I can think of to keep the place from stagnating is to continue creating a safe and near-flame free site.

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The games merely serve as a base in my opinion. They help, but are not essential. Look at the war-game, we've integrated NPC nations, characters from books, entire races from folk-lore, and so on and so forth. My only concern about Suikoden being over would be people going, "Suikoden? What's that?"

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Like many i don't really come here to talk about Suikoden any more, i come for the community and the Nation System.

If Suikoden were to end, then for the site to survive maybe the actual website (does any one really use it any more?) should be axed and used to support the nation game, using that as the main basis for bringing in new people.

Yes the Nation System is based on Suikoden, but it has evolved so much that i think it can stand alone without it. Heck we have had enough NPC things that aren't really Suikoden related.
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

672039 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I came here because I already liked Suikoden and wanted to learn more about the story of the game, so I went through a lot of the information on the main page. After that I joined the forum. I think that the site would survive as long as people still play the games and that it would not die out really untill everyone has forgotten about suikoden all together. Even though there would not be anything new, the games we have are good and there are still people out there that know about them, thoes people will still possibly come here. Besides how many new members do we get from the new games (SIV, and SV). Probably only the ones who get curious and play the older games would appreciate everything this site has.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's not like I disagree with what's being said-- but talking about the reason you personally stay here doesn't solve the question of how we are to attract new members if the series is indeed dead (which I do not believe it is, of course).

The most obvious solution is to expand the topic on which this forum discusses (such as just a general classic RPG game forum-- it could be marketed for fans of RPGs PS2 and before, or something like that). If that is not a very favorable solution, we could market the forum as more of an online war RPG game, than a Suikoden discussion forum, which it has already become in many regards. I know there are tons of people out there who would love to join in on a type of game like we play here, however are discouraged in joining because they are not very familiar with Suikoden.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well - if the Suikoden Series died then the obvious answer is; We as a community raise enough money to buy the rights to the Suikoden Series from Konami and then as a community continue to produce the series out of our own pockets :D

I hate you Onimaru.
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd probably expand my target audience--you have to be careful about expanding too much though, as that's likely to drive a lot of the older members away. I'd say something like incorporating several niche RPG titles into one site would be the way to go. Series like Fire Emblem, Disgaea, Atelier Iris, Persona, etc. come to mind.

Of course, we all know that coming up with enough information to fill a site about Suikoden can be a chore, so doing it for other series would be nigh impossible. One thing you could do is have a joint effort going with other fan sites of different games. Ask if you can use their material, and in return, you advertise their site on yours or something. Or even recreate the war game to include the mythos of several different video game world.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like alot of others come here for the Community and the Nation System.

Well i did join the site when i first played Suikoden so i came here for Suikoden. But to be honest it is no longer Suikoden that keeps me coming back here, it is the strong Community and the ever evolving Nation System.

But should the Suikoden Series end how will this site survive? I am not too sure but it can evolve, if it has to, to all things RPG's and retain the Nation System!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: