Suikoden United and Illegal Kraalesque Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Imperfect Playthroughs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hawk Thanatos wrote:
You have a problem with me? I'm hurt. :P

Well yeah, you can say that. :P

Here's another solution I would like to suggest. If you're really desperate to get a perfect playthrough, then you might want to try using a cheat device to fix whatever errors you have done in your run-through. I myself have done so in several occasions while playing Suikoden.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Imperfect Playthroughs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hawk Thanatos wrote:
But can you say you've truly lived until you've gotten the Sandwich recipe? Or found that treasure chest with your 100th Medicine inside? Or gotten Freed Y's weapon to level 16?! :P

Problem is, with things like that bug which dictate that you have to collect the recipes in a certain order or you lose one makes it frustrating for those of us who didn't know about it to start again and play through the game. :P
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryusei wrote:
Here's another solution I would like to suggest. If you're really desperate to get a perfect playthrough, then you might want to try using a cheat device to fix whatever errors you have done in your run-through. I myself have done so in several occasions while playing Suikoden.

I dunno, I've never really been comfortable with the whole cheats thing. The only game I've ever used them on is an emulated version of Pokemon Ruby. I wanted to catch a Scyther. :D

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Hawk Thanatos wrote:
But can you say you've truly lived until you've gotten the Sandwich recipe? Or found that treasure chest with your 100th Medicine inside? Or gotten Freed Y's weapon to level 16?! :P

Problem is, with things like that bug which dictate that you have to collect the recipes in a certain order or you lose one makes it frustrating for those of us who didn't know about it to start again and play through the game. :P

Ah yes, the good ol' Japanese Stew recipe. Man I hate that thing.
Ryusei

Kotetsu

114213 Potch
8500 Soldiers
510 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hawk Thanatos wrote:
I dunno, I've never really been comfortable with the whole cheats thing. The only game I've ever used them on is an emulated version of Pokemon Ruby. I wanted to catch a Scyther. :D

Yeah, it might take some time to get used to it. But once you know what you need to know, it becomes fun. I used a gameshark to get that annoying recipe #34 before. It sure did save me a lot of time and effort.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Imperfect Playthroughs Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hawk Thanatos wrote:
Sage wrote:
Hawk Thanatos wrote:
Anyone else find they have the same problem?

Nope. I'm perfectly content with not being perfect in many respects (items, recipes, etc I care not for). I'll just try again later for important things like getting all 108 if I miss some.

Yes I can. And unless Freedy is going to fall on his sword, there's no reason to sharpen it. :P

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sharpening even two characters' weapons to level 16 takes nearly all of my potch, it'd take a lot of dedication and time to raise enough for all of them.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
Sharpening even two characters' weapons to level 16 takes nearly all of my potch, it'd take a lot of dedication and time to raise enough for all of them.

Umm there is that armourer max potch trick and the Black smith is in the building directly opposite it, so sharpening everyone (and I mean everyone) is not as difficult as one thinks in that glitch of a game, I mean I've sharpened everyone's weapons to 16 and decked them out in the strongest things they could wear that I could buy and ended up walking out with the max potch so I can perhaps buy huuuge tracks of land and rule it with an iron fist! So no, as soon as you reach Two River you can get mucho potch using the trick on any of the armours available, even with things that cost 100 potch you end up with 999,999.

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like getting all 108, but I don't care about getting all weapons to level 16 or what not. A perfect fiel is fun to play through when I'm bored but for a first playthrough I'm not chuffed about getting all the little details.

I'm mainly concerned with the story. I'd only start over if it affected getting all the characters, or sealed off some story scenes. But I'm less fussed if I miss some ultra armour or something.

Thus I've restarted twice in Suikoden I to get Leon to join the 108, but I've never restarted just to say, get the good ores in Suikoden IV.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wolfheart

Midnight Howl

39338 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I tend to go for perfection as well. Although it can be time consuming and all, I always try to sharpen everyone's weapons and am not ashamed to use the Hans potch trick in Suikoden II.
Likewise, when I played IV, I levelled up my whole crew to level 99 in the training hall. I also try (even if it is frustrating!) to fish out all the alternate costumes for Snowe and all the silly furniture for Pecola.
I'm in agreement with you, Hawk Thanatos, when you say you don't want to finish a game if you missed something important. Last time I replayed suikoden 1, I completely forgot to get Leon BEFORE attacking Shazarazade Fortress, and thus couldn't end with 108 stars. This upset me so much that I had to kick myself in the butt to actually spend one more hour to finish the game.

However, I don't bother getting all rewards for mini-games if I don't need them. Like the stuff you get when you bet low in Billy's Goppu game. If it is not special items, I let it be.
Oh, yeah, that's right. I never could get any reward in the Extreme mode of the Wack-A-Mole game...

Hey, it reminds me I still have to play a complete S-Victory game in Tactics... but then I think of the Quest Guild and all the Dragon stuff, when you have to get down in the same cave over and over again. Meh, turn-off. Just because I can't compel myself to just finish the story-game without finishing every other sub-quest...

I'm currently spending HOURS on Rogue Galaxy trying to max out Jaster's Seven Stars Swords, and complete the Bestiary... who said "frustrating"? :P

In Potch We Trust
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wolfheart wrote:

I'm currently spending HOURS on Rogue Galaxy trying to max out Jaster's Seven Stars Swords, and complete the Bestiary... who said "frustrating"? :P

That's kinda different in that Suikoden doesn't provide "% complete" sections like Rogue Galaxy does, so it's not as easy to simply look and complete because you really don't have any idea of how much there is in Suikoden to complete by simply looking at what's available in game. (outside of the standard 108 companions thing and what the old books describe) I mean surely the fact that you gain toady early on to log weapon synthesis is far more handy and useful than say the antique guide in the old books.

8481 Potch
156 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember my first Suikoden I playthrough. I missed a lot of SoD

-Pesmerga
-Clive
-Sonya
-Vincent de Boule
-I have executed all the Scarlet Moon Generals till my buddy kicked my ass telling me that those are SoD as well :)
-Templeton
-Crowley
-Mace

Suikoden II

-Clive
-Georg Prime (stupid me... haven't noticed the other path)
-Mazus
-Vincent de Boule (didnt' know about him that time)

Suikoden III

Well with my buddy's help I got them all

Suikoden IV

With my buddy's help I got them all

Suikoden V

-Alhazred
-Gavaya
-Raven
-Oboro and his team
-Nakula
-Wilhelm, Mueller and Richard
-Dr Murad

At the second playthrough I got them all
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My first playthrough of Suikoden 1 I think I got everyone but someone died in a war battle, I forget who it was.

I immediately then went into Suikoden 2 and loaded the data, I got all the SoD and McDohl (sans Gremio). Played through Suiko 2 a number of times, I don't believe I ever didn't get all the SoD.

Suikoden 3, I was stressing hardout about getting all the SoD and it was only near the end of the game you find that the enemies are also SoD which was annoying since I thought I was missing people.

Suikoden 4 - I was busy playing MMORPGs at the time, so I decided to race through this game and couldn't afford to miss anyone, so I used a walkthrough. I know the game wasn't great to start with, but add a walkthrough in there and it was as dull as it was complete.

Didn't make the same mistake with Suiko 5, though I missed Oboro and his team despite repeated attempts, and in missing those you are pretty much screwed for collectiong the 108 stars. Second playthough I got everyone though.

In terms of item collections and all that? Suikoden 2 was the only one I really put a lot of effort into, I got every antique and levelled the whole army to 99 and collected as many of the higher tier elemental runes as I could find, including killing those Golden Sun enemies around Muse repeatedly after hearing they had a chance to drop rage runes...

In terms of fully complete games though, the only one that I've made sure to get every single item and do absolutely everything in the game was in Symphony of the Night. Yep I'm one of those guys that has 200+% completion and every enemy drop recorded and the duplicator accessory and everything.

640 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

the way i usually play Suikoden for the first time is i play it as normal without a FAQ to guide me until a certain point. save then i check a FAQ until that point only. just to see if i missed anything important like a star or something i need to get a future star. i don't usually have a lot of time to play because i had school work way back when or work now that i'm older so i have to get the best end on the first go

as to using cheat devices, i generally don't use that for Suikoden. i mean the games don't require rocket science to finish so i can just take my time and get it done right. the only exception to this rule for me was in 2. mainly Clive's quest. i love the guy, i really do. but the 20 hour time limit is too brutal at least for me. this is because i do both his quest and Hai yo's at the same time while getting as much of the good stuff as i can. so i cheat with the time. sue me :) i know it's my fault. even if i beat the darn game for the nth time, i still read every dialogue. but that's what makes Suikoden great. the story and the interaction between the Tenkai and the rest of the world. i never tire of it :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: