Suikoden United and Informational Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden 2 in 3D
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Suikoden 2 in 3D Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm currently working with the half-life 1 level-editor Hammer.
The last time i was working with it, i had the idea of rebuilding some of the
Suikoden 2 locations with it. The Textures for the 3D map are ripped from the game itself.

Here is a very early try of as the first room of the Suikoden 2 HQ.

(Click on the picture to enlarge it)

I'm working on more of it, but i'm very busy at the moment..so be patient
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, impressive! I hope you keep up the good work!
Seraphblade

imaginary soldiers

935122 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's pretty awesome! I look forward to see the others you're working on.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can you recreate the characters too with that thing?

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for your comments ;)

@ Yvl

No, i can't do that. I'm a mapper, a coder but i'm not a 3d-modeler..
In other words, to recreate them in 3D, i would need help from a modeler, who modeled for half-life
Ryu

The Sunwall Army

83872 Potch
100 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow that is really cool... But i'm not sure i'd play the game if they remade it into a 3D game. I don't know something about that old school look is half the charm of the game. Besides looking at video games today it would just turn out like the 3D remake of Wild Arms... CRAPPY

"If you beat a dead horse vigorously enough, it's constant twitching and juttering will at least give an assembulence of activity." ~Yahtzee, from The Escapist:Zero Punctuation
Overdose

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thats quite cool how it maintains the same sort of look as the original 2D game. I have agree with Ryu about the old school thing, but still nice job.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How about the reverse? Having the 3D Suikoden titles remade into the good old 2D style would be sweet.

But it'll never happen.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ryu wrote:
wow that is really cool... But i'm not sure i'd play the game if they remade it into a 3D game. I don't know something about that old school look is half the charm of the game. Besides looking at video games today it would just turn out like the 3D remake of Wild Arms... CRAPPY

While it may reduce the charm of the games should they shift to a 3d environment it would also give some depth to things instead of simply "hey look, a really long path" which was prevalent in 1 & 2 more so than the PS2 versions. I mean how many times have you rounded a corner or attempted to but couldn't because the game decided that a fraction of your clothing was touching the barrier of the path? Or that your camera view was blocked because you stood plush against a wall? That doesn't add to the charm and minimal depth to an area would negate that for the most part without ruining the experience.

But yeah, that 3D model looks spiffy, although from that angle those stairs would lead straight to the roof. :P

[SPECTATOR]

672039 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden 2 in 3D and maybe the addition of voices would get more people to play the game I bet. While simultaniously raising the price of the origional 2D game =P

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hah, that looks pretty cool. You know, they should release all Suikoden games in both 2D and 3D. I'd give them more money.

Suikoden 2 was perfect as a 2D game. Suikoden 5 did a pretty good job as a cross-over. Suikodens 3 and 4 were just ugly though.
Failure_Urn

[SPECTATOR]

672039 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been playing through SV again and they did a pretty poor job with the characters in sequences. Like their body parts will stick out from their clothes, or under layers of clothing will pop out above the top layer.

I really liked SIII, I thought it looked cute =|

9412 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to agree. SV had such bad motion sequences in the cut scenes. they were all so unnatural and over-dramatic. SIII's were much better.
Leon Silverberg

The Strategists

13318 Potch
489 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i'm not working on this anymore, but i often wanted to create my own Suikoden. I'm currently trying to make own suikoden-like tileset graphics of suikoden 3, 4 or 5's locations and character sprites

It would be pretty cool to have some more people trying to do stuff like that.
With some people having experience in 2d art and pixel-drawing we and something like a RPG Maker we could do our own Suikoden game.

I have many self-ripped chipsets of Suikoden 1 and 2 and i have tried out a lot with them.
poorguy171

91805 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden V had excellent animations, but there were some issues with the models themselves (I was always bugged by Arshtat's ponytail which would fold up like a piece of paper). But it's definitely headed in the right direction. III's animations are pretty detailed but extremely robotic. I always thought it was very noticeable, especially compared to IV and V.

I wouldn't mind seeing I and II in 3D graphics with some snazzy cutscenes and voice acting. I understand and appreciate the charm in 2D sprites, but they can't compare to the development of a good 3D model IMO. I never found the emotional scenes in I and II to be all that moving, but V really blew me away with all that non-verbal expression in its emotional cutscenes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: