Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Onamai wa "Casshern".

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Onamai wa "Casshern". Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, so I"m pre apologizing if making a entire new thread for a movie, probally nobody has seen, however I couldn't find a normal all purpose movie thread on here, and I realized because everyone posts about specific moves in new threads.

Well anyways I was just curious if anyone else has seen a Japanese Movie called "Casshern" I beleive it was made about a year back maybe. Its the story about this scientists son who goes off to war and dies, but gets ressurected.. yeah alot of weird stuff happens in the movie, but I think its amazing. I was in japanese just recently last month for about the intire month, and goth the ultimate edition box set, whatever you call it. However I thought maaybe SarsAdmin has seen it.. or perhaps Saben. If not I really suggest it finding it somewhere, or even watching the previews on like any film site.. or you can always google it... anyways am I the only person who's ever seen this movie?

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I rarely see Japanese movies.
Krawnik

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've seen Casshern, and was really impressed with it.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, it's nice to see another fan of the movie. I've noticed the movie wasn't very popular around the globe, and even in japan it wasn't the most popular movie in it's time. But well doesn't almost seem sorta like a anti-war movie, with plot and ect? That or a pro death movie, because it almost replays the messege of peace in death through like everyone that dies.

Groundhog Pirates

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, anti-war and the dangers of advanced technology seemed to be the underlying themes. Some noticable WWII imagery, especially the destroyed villages and bizzare "Industral Europe to the max" feeling of the entire film's various locations. To be honest I didn't invest a lot of effort in following the plot (relatively simple though it may have been, I know it had something to do with robot armies destroying humanity at the whim of the Neo Sapiens, or whatever), I was more interested in watching the movie for it's visual appeal. Really stunning use of colour and fancy lens-work. I loved all the oranges of the city and the really dark blues that always accompanied night. The black and white swordfight between the man with that metallic beak thing and the guy with the black and white bowl cut was really wild.

Might have to watch that movie again. Except this time, I won't watch a Chinatown bootleg, and won't watch it at 1 am.

416- friggin' racists, messing up my generalizations, also stealing my jobs, women.
RIP Ninjalicious
KonRei

The Sharingan Archer

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

yes...i watched that last week on WOWOW....it made me cry at that part (which i forgot) the the theme song was Dareka no Negai wo by Utada Hikaru....

Today's angel are tomorrow's devil...fear it, live it, die with it... -Kon Rei
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I checked it out because you mentioned it (I had nothing else to do really) and I can't say I'm a fan of it. It had some visual appeal, but overall wasn't all that good IMO. I couldn't really follow the story because it was choppy. I did notice that one track (as in sound) was the same as one in the Bleach anime.

Fallen Gods

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I kinda like it and ended up buying it. It has cool song by UTADA HIKARU and cool cgs. Thought the plot kinda confusing at times but still I would give it 3.5 stars (out of five :D )
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I watched Casshern (actually own it) and I have to side a little with Sage on this one.

It is a good movie and certainly evokes thoughts and themes throughout with its visual effects and music, but I personally felt it tried too hard to be philosophical. It was a bit too pretentious for me and the messages throughout the movie could have been portrayed in much more sensible fashion. It was as though they wanted the themes to be hidden amongst tricky editing which just resulted in an uncomfortable movie.

However, saying that the action was spot on and the music was fantastic, especially the score at the end before the big robot was detonated - I can't quite remember what it was and I'm too lazy to put it on again. You can definitely see the connections in Casshern with other stories such as Metropolis, Frankenstein and even Nineteen Eighty-Four.

The best character I thought in the movie was Burai (the leader of the Neo-Sapiens) - his original death was so tragic and his quest when he was reborn was noble, if a very unhinged.

He also had the greatest line in the whole movie:

"We are the Neo-Sapiens. Bow down before us."

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: