Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Knowledge Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

NHL Season 2007/2008
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: NHL Season 2007/2008 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So for some reason we only has the fantasy thread and not an actual thread for normal discussion of the season. Now we're not exactly far into the season but so far I was wondering who were people's surprises of the season both negative and positive ones I mean.

I'm happy with the Flyers start I have to say, we're playing well and Biron has been really good in net. the Atlantic is one tough division though and we're back from out west now beginning a short homestand, it should get interesting from here on out and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Flyers play the big guns of the east like the Senators, Rangers and Penguins. Those are going to be tests especially the inter-divisional games because the Atlantic as I say is just a plain difficult division.

As for my surprises so far;

I thought Atlanta would be better than an 0-5 start in the southeast division that's completely underwhelming for a team that was in the playoffs last season, I know Hossa has been hurt but that start truly sucks.

San Jose I thought would be better than 2-2-1 as well, they lost to Boston who I don't rate all that much and I think they're getting off to a slow start, eventually though I expect to see this team pull through and find their game a bit more to establish themselves as a top western team, I can't say the same about Atlanta.

Good surprise-wise I'm going all homerlicious and saying the Flyers are off to a good start and it's nice to see their Powerplay running pretty well at this point after years of having a bad one, I know it's early but here's hoping.

The Leafs seem a little Jekyll and Hyde at this point getting thrashed one game and then thrashing someone the next. Maybe they'll find some consistency with time, I'm honestly not sure about them at this point.

The Sens are looking like the team to beat right now after their run to final last year, undefeated in pre-season and now going 6-1 to start the new season off, they are looking like a very good team at the moment.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.

Last edited by Exile on Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hotlanta has looked horrible. But, they did beat Brodeur for 5 I think last night. Speaking of which, Brodeur hasn't looked very good at all.

The Flyers are looking strong. Jason Smith adds the intangibles, Briere and Timmonen added a lot of tangible benefits. Though I haven't seen them play this year, I do know Briere is settled in nicely. For some reason he looks bigger in a Flyers uniform... weird.

As for my Leafs... .my hapless Leafss... Dispite the box scores, and any highlights you've seen. Toskala hasn't been all that bad. In fact, I've found he's played quite well for us. He does give up some rebounds which is difficult for us. Our defence ain't the greatest thing on ice... calling them defence is probably a stretch. Anyway, my thoughts on the Leafs D can be summed up in this sentance:

McCabe is a 5 million dollar, no movement clause Pylon!!!

The sad thing is, we have a bunch of kids playing D too. They're still young and impressionable and are taking lessons from McCabe!! This is disasterous! Blake has been really good for us, I've really liked that pickup. Sure he has cancer, he cost a lot, but he forechecks, goes to the net, will shoot the puck from anywhere and is quick. My goodness he makes the rest of the Leafs look so slow... (no Tull, not that slow!)

Nik Antropov has been having a great year too. He was a 1st rounder, top 10 pick... always injured. I hope that he stays healthy this year because he's been playing amazing. Using his size, power and great hands. He's finally playing like I always thought he could.

I wonder if Gerber stays hot (how can he not?) will they stick with him and leave Emery on the bench? Will they shop Gerber around and go with Emery? Maybe shop Emery around? It's an interesting situation there with that goaltending.

Florida could be a suprise team this year. Goaltending solidified, youngsters getting better in Jay BOuwemeester and Horton.... could surprise a number of teams.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the Panthers as it goes, I've liked Horton since the draft and he was the player I wished we could have had (but then we likely wouldn't have drafted one of Richards or Carter so I guess it's okay because I like them a lot too, especially Richards), Bouwmeester is a quality player but aside from him I do doubt their defence a bit. Vokoun is a player I like and he's a good stopper but not a good stick handler from all I've heard, I guess being the former is more important than being the latter but we're seeing goalies use their sticks outside the crease around the back of the goal a lot now and puck handling is important.

Jokinen is a great center too, sure to put up good points regardless I think. I think they will end up a team sniffing at the playoffs at the end of the year but I'm not sure they'll make it just yet.

Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My Canucks are doing pretty well despite a rough couple games at home to start the season. That 8-2 pasting they took from the Flyers was particularly embarrassing, although I'd be able to stomach it much easier without the crosscheck to Kesler's face. Glad to see Boulerice was handed a stiff 25 game suspension for that. The NHL finally seems to be getting its act together regarding their response to such dirty headshots. From now on, 20 games should be the floor for incidents like this. I wonder if Jordan Tootoo will be the next guy spending a few weeks in the press box?

Vancouver may not be as unstoppable versus eastern teams as they were last season if the game against Philadelphia is any indication, but we certainly seem to have and edge over our divisional rivals going by recent games against Calgary and Edmonton. Helps that Naslund and Morrison are finally on the upswing.

Anyone else noticed the unusually high scores and wide margins around the league so far? The aforementioned 8-2 game, 8-1 Leafs over Isles and 6-0 Sabres over Thrashers a few days ago, another big Sabres win against the Caps 7-3 just last night, Calgary took out Nashville 7-4, 5-1 Avs over the Jackets, and a slew of closer 6-goal contests... it's like I've wandered out of the real world and into an EA Sports virtual season.

Last edited by Delsaber on Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I wonder if Jordan Tootoo will be the next guy spending a few weeks in the press box?

If you're talking about his recent elbow to the head he delivered then the answer is no he's getting nothing, that's been confirmed by Colin Shamble.

If you mean for a future incident then knowing Tootoo it's not that far off I'm sure, he generally gives a reason to dislike him at regular intervals.

The Boulerice crosscheck was magnificently dumb, thankfully it's not much of a loss for the Flyers to be without him for 25 games and Kesler wasn't too badly hurt, he deserved that ban I can safely say but I still think Downie's was too long but he'll be allowed to play in the AHL soon enough (only a one-month ban there was applied), the Flyers might honour the full suspension anyway though I think. We're eating that suspension by calling him up and sending him down to micro-manage the cap numbers since Downie is ineligible for waivers.

I think the average goals per game is slightly down there just seem to be a lot of blowout results so far which I must say I'd noticed as well Delsaber, it's pretty weird to be honest. Oh and as much as I enjoyed the whipping the Flyers gave the 'Nucks I think your guys will be fine in the long run, it's a solid defensive team, even if the offence is a bit lacking as a whole. Having Luongo generally helps too.

Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quite the very short lease and quick hook in Atlanta. It's been only 6 games and Bob Hartley has just been fired. I understand the team is still winless after the first games of the season, but getting fired for start 0-6 is even shocking to me who've seen some weird head coach and managerial firings.

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of the local 24 hour sports channels in Canada has this page up on their web site. I call it, a Toronto fan's Ode to McCabe.

http://www.thescore.ca/sixpack/index.asp?name=/2007/10/quotes_from_bry. html&catID=Leafs

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Looks like Chris Simon of the Islanders has had the hammer come down on him for trying to cripple Jarkko Ruutu. The suspension looks to be 30 games. Anyone else think the suspension was too harsh or should it have been an outright rest of the season ban. I mean its not like Simon has not been known for trying to intentionally hurt other players in the past.

Drunking soldiers are us!!

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what i have heard this is not the first time he has tried to hurt someone during a hockey game. So he got what was coming to him.
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Too harsh? Outright season ban? I say neither. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that Simon's seventh or eighth suspension-grade offense in seven seasons? What exactly is it gonna take before he gets booted from the league entirely? It's time for a lifetime ban. Additionally, apply the same penalty to any other player who racks up multiple 20+ game suspensions in as many years. We can call it "the Chris Simon." "Oh, look at that guy, he's about to get Chris Simon'd." Let's not wait until somebody gets crippled, or worse, before cracking down on the intent-to-injure goons.
glen

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree with you they got to something to stop it. Not just to the players but to the coaches who sent them out to do it to the players in the first place.

Then maybe it might stop it all together but who really knows if it will or not.
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In other news, it looks like Ovechkin just pulled a DiPietro. Take that, Sidney!
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm not as big a hockey fan as some of you guys are but 13-years for 130+ million. Especially from a team which seems to always be working on a tight budget. I can understand a team like the Rangers, Flyers and Anaheim spending that kind of money for a stud player, but I would've thought the Caps would be the last team to invest that many years and money on one player.

Caps management and ownership better hope Ovechkin doesn't get hurt much during the bulk of that contract.

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If i know that he get hurt alot or have trouble getting points because ever team in the league will have him cover real good just to see him play real hard to earn the money he's getting payed to play hockey. But if the caps have some real bad season and not make the playoffs they will be screwed because no one can pay that kind of money without going over there money cap to get him on there team with out getting rid of half there team to make room for just him. I think that just crazy to do and it might cost the caps in the long run. But thats just me.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really want to see how his contract breaks down. Does each year's salary get progressively higher the farther into the contract Ovechkin plays or is it pretty much evenly distributed over the life of the contract.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: