Suikoden Urgent and Infamous Karma Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Manga Suggestions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zangetsu

Getsuga

209279 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Manga Suggestions Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey all, was wondering if any of you have any good manga suggestions (which im sure alot of you do :P ). I've been reading, Bleach, Naruto,
D Gray Man, and Deathnote.

Been looking for something new to start reading. There are so many choices at the book store, and I don't want to read something that ends up being crappy. So any suggestions you all might have I'd appreciate it.

I like the martial arts stuff, and also creepy stuff.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Berserk.

Any time anyone other than a virgin maiden asks for an anime/manga suggestion, it's going to be Berserk. But with those interests, I'm especially reccomending it to you.

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have become a really big fan of Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle.
I warn you though, it starts out all happy and fluffy-ish...and then goes re~ally angsty.

Yu Yu Hakusho is a classic. The Suikoden III manga is definitely worth checking out, as is Hikaru no Go.

Inuyasha is a classic and is alot of fun, despite the fact that it NEVER ENDS.

Rurouni Kenshin is also a classic read.

That's all I can think of right now--I'm sure I can come up with more when I get home and take a look at my bookshelves.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My first choice to recommend to you that has both the things you like would be Shaman King. Although it doesn't have a lot of martial arts, it does involve a lot of fighting, and the spirits involved in it does make the plot quite sinister, especially at the later parts. It also has a good dose of humor. Other than that, you could also try out Fullmetal Alchemist. Although it is more about conversations and plots, it does have a lot of fighting in it and the plot is among the darker and more unique plots out there. Although it's still incomplete, I can vouch for its excellence.
The second choice would be One Piece. Not only does it have a lot of fighting, it has an excellent blend of humor and drama. However, be warned that the money you spend on following this manga may be astronomical, as the series is not done yet.
For sinister things, you could go with either Monster or 20th Century Boys. Both have an element of mystery to them and they are also superb dramas, and the darkness in the plot is very different from other manga.

Getsuga

209279 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im going to the bookstore tonite after work, to check out some of these titles. Have any of you ever heard of angel sanctuary? A friend of mine was telling me about it, she absolutely loves it.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It isnt Berserk. Why are you here and not reading Berserk?

Getsuga

209279 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:

LOL, at work now. I can't just conjure them up, lol.
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Angel Sanctuary is disgusting. The main hero is in love with his sister and eventually they become lovers... urgh. It has some angelic stuff thrown around, reincarnation, etc... but the incest eclipses all else for me, really. I can't stomach that.

Creepy... hmm. Immortal Rain has some creepiness to it... it's become somewhat sappy, to my regret, but the main plot hasn't been fucked with.

Godchild is pretty damn weird (generally speaking, someone will die each chapter), but it's by the same person who did Angel Sanctuary. No incest as far as I know, but still random weirdness. It was broken into two parts, the Cain Saga and Godchild. If you want to check out Godchild, I suggest skipping Cain Saga. It's fugly, and you can read about it on Wiki to get the general idea anyway.

Oh yeah, there's always Akira.

There was this other manga back in the day called Parasyte. It was odd... about parasites that invaded earth and took over human hosts. The hero managed to trap his in his arm, so he didn't die. It's old, though, might not be available anymore.
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:

Agreed. Berserk is a masterpiece. You will have many epiphanies whilst reading this glorious, glorious story.
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Flamo Bringer

Flamo-chan

11929 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you're into Basketball, Slam Dunk and Dear Boys Act 2 would be best :mrgreen: (try getting the act 1 so you get the story of it better)

Takehiko Inoue's "Real" is kind of good as well in my opinion...

Kung Fu Boy if you like actions, it is really awesome!!

and so on....
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can always start reading One Piece, which is quite easily the best shonen comic in existence. It does not even have the excessive spiral-of-power problem other shonen fighting comics seem to have.

If you like the psychological thriller genre (which you should be because you apparently like Deathnote), you can give Naoki Urasawa's latest works a try. Namely, Monster, 20th Century Boys and PLUTO. All three are nothing short of masterpieces. The most recent one, PLUTO, is actually a re-imagination of an arc in Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy added with the elements of suspense and mystery, making reading it an excellent experience of nostalgia and entertainment.

Ah, regarding Angel Sanctuary... like many other Kaori Yuki's works, it is a very twisted comic. Personally, I find this comic is trying too hard to be philosophical and presents it in such an excessive and explicit manner, making it utterly not enjoyable to read.

Getsuga

209279 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Scrooge McDuck wrote:
Ah, regarding Angel Sanctuary... like many other Kaori Yuki's works, it is a very twisted comic. Personally, I find this comic is trying too hard to be philosophical and presents it in such an excessive and explicit manner, making it utterly not enjoyable to read.

So it would seem. I guess I forgot to mention that my ex girlfriend, was excessively twisted, and had some weird hang ups.
Elzamine

Verse of Vitality

1798792 Potch
500 Soldiers
1 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeh I agree with Celes about Angel Sanctuary. I haven't read it, but I've heard plenty of people tell me how screwed up it is.

I'm not much of one for fluffy girl like manga MOST of the time. I made it through chobits and it was alright, but still fluffyish for me. Somehow I read all of fruits basket and had no issues with it's fluff, I think all the comedy kept me with it though. I always like to recommend it, but I don't find guys get as much enjoyment out of it.

I've heard lots of people recommend Beserk actually, so you might want to follow Yvl up on that. The only manga I keep up with lately is Naruto and Samurai Deeper Kyo. I really like SDK actually, and if you like Naruto you might want to try out SDK. Only in manga though, never in anime, it's pretty decent though, and the art is quite nice.

Otherwise, Chrno Crusade wasn't too bad, Full Metal Alchemist is good, but still underway. (In manga at least, finished in anime, the manga deviates from the anime somewhat though, but I enjoy it.)

I think that's about it for me on manga at the moment, I don't really read anything else. Well, I read the Suikoden III manga, but that's more for the artwork than anything else.

-My DeviantArt-
jjrrs

481481 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I may have a stupid manga question, over ten years ago back when I was reading dragonball Z, slam dunk and manga/any books at all, I read a few issues of a series about a japanese kid being warped into the Romance of the Three Kingdoms time period, it seemed a bit like an eastern version of that book a yankee in king arthur's court or whatever, and at the time I thought it was pretty interesting. What's that series called? how long was it? and was it considered a good manga series?
Scrooge McDuck

The Flying Duckmen

885377 Potch
161 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That comic is called Ryuroden, also known as Legend of the Dragon's Son. Currently, it has reached volume 37 and is till ongoing. As for whether is is considered a good series or not, I really do not know. It apparently is quite popular in Japan, but is unknown in the West. I read it sparingly and personally does not like its inconsistency regarding the characters' power level: a character can be described as godly powerful a moment, only to be overpowered by a hundred times by another character and the returns as even infinitely more powerful than before. The power level comparison is also almost explicitly stated by the main character's tendency to think such a thing out loud. Some inaccurate but quite representative examples are:

"Oh my God, Zhao Yun is very powerful!"

"Oh my God, Guan Yu is even more powerful!"

"Oh my God, every single person in this Tiger Fang Army is as powerful as Guan Yu!"

"Oh my God, this Black Tiger guy is as powerful as a hundred Tiger Fang soldier!"

"Oh my God, Zhao Yun would have been able to defeat the Black Tiger easily!"

And so on and so forth.

Also, even though I am aware that it is a work of fiction to begin with, I get turned off by its complete departure from history after the Battle of Chi Bi. That, I feel, completely destroys the incentive of having a setting in the Three Kingdoms era.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: