Suikoden Uncanny and Irrational Kriegspiel Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Firefly/Serenity
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh man. I had a long-standing crush on the actress that played Saffron after Firefly. What an incredible looking woman! Trash actually might be my favorite episode. I love how it begins, and how it ends. Very funny...very original. Good stuff. I was sad to see she wasn't in the movie. Surely she had to have survived that episode!

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I thought Books story was great. The fact that we didn't know much about him was good... I liked that he was mysterious, I liked that we didn't know everything about him. If they went into a big exposition about him in the movie, it would've taken the appeal out of the character for me.

I'm like Kikito a lot in that my favourite episode changes every now and then.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

But I am positive that Whedon had the intention of developing Books as a character if he had more time to do so (more seasons). He had hinted things about him that could never have just been left unexplained (Whedon never really does that, from what I have heard). How he was able to fight like a bad ass, and use weapons and whatnot...it would have been really cool to see how a preacher man learned about that. They gave most of the other characters backgrounds and episodes to show their past and how they came to be what they are, and I am sure Books would have had it the same way if it wasn't cancelled (stupid effing Fox :evil: ).

Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not to mention why he got special medical treatment at the Alliance facilities in that one episode. That's what I think was the biggest(and probably one of the first) hints that there's something amiss with Book.

One thing that always bothered me was how they introduced the Mr. Universe character so quickly in Serenity(the movie). He was just pushed in there with no plausible explanation, and then killed off. I'm thinking we would've gotten more of him had there been more episodes, but oh well.

Oh, and one thing that they hinted at since the very begining is the importance of the Blue Sun Corporation or whatever it's called. I've read a lot about how its logos are all over the place in the series, even if they're not mentioned especially in any episode. I think that one episode where River slashed Jayne's chest with a kitchen knife she was supposed to be slashing the logo out of his shir or something like that. It's not something I'd have really noticed by myself, quite honestly, but now that I know about it it's something that really adds to things. To think there are layers of details like this all over the series, it just makes me appreciate it more.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That could easily be explained if he was an Operative that was sent on a covert op (perhaps to secretly kill Browncoats) where he didn't need to report back. If they thought he was still working for the Alliance (as the Operative from Serenity eludes to) then it's feasible. Either that or they didn't cancel his clearance. Anyway, I won't keep flogging my tenuous theory!!

I hear those weird silent guys with the sonic screwdrivers were from the BSC.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I read something to that effect too. And the fact that their gloved are blue may also be pointing to that fact. It's a shame they were killed off in one of the Firefly comics released. I would've loved to see that series of events on screen. Man, that sonic wand of doom was so awesome. It'd be pretty handy to have one of those around :P
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/serenity/news/direct-to-video-seren ity-2.html

Quite possibly the best news I have heard in a long, long time!
I really really hope they go through with this.

Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wowzers! That is awesome news indeed! If they pull through with this, it'll be quite an event for me and everyone I drag into watching it(just like I dragged a lot of people into watching Serenity/Firefly).

Thanks for the news, Bub!
Samakain

93851 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One of my all time favorite series! love it to peices i really do.

"They don't like it when you shoot at em, i worked that out for myself"

and thank you for making my world a little brighter with that news! prequel works! Walsh was one of my favorite characters, and while i can understand why josh killed him off, because without death and danger we really don't have an action story, it still made me as sad as hell which i suppose was the point. seriously cool last words thou, "I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar"

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day"
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That still stands as one of my favourite character deaths ever, sad as it was. I mean, the damage was already done with Book, and then just when we're recovering from that... bam. The entire last act of Serenity was a million times more tense because of those two deaths. Suddenly, all bets were off. I wouldn't have been surprised if Joss pulled an Angel with the ending, especially considering how Inara and River were the only two characters to come out of the final battle unscathed.

I love Firefly. The universe simply demands further exploration. Hell, I'm even looking forward to the upcoming Firefly MMO project, despite by fairly rabid distaste for MMOs in general. Y'all should check out the comics, too. Hopefully this sequel rumour has some truth to it... I'm getting a little tired of hearing every six months about some new revival campaign, just to see it all fizzle out again.

...I don't always consider myself a full-fledged Browncoat, though, for the same reason why I don't always think of myself as an all-out Trekkie. That is to say, some of my fellow fans can be a little too... evangelical for my tastes. It's almost embarrassing sometimes, y'know? I hear about people shouting out lines from the theme song in the theatre or whathaveyou, it makes me sad.
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bub wrote:
http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/serenity/news/direct-to-video-seren ity-2.html

Quite possibly the best news I have heard in a long, long time!
I really really hope they go through with this.

That's awesome!

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since I'm in a Firefly kinda mood lately.... I figured I'd bump this thread.

Firefly is coming out on Blu-Ray in November. It's a re-encode of the previous set. Sadly, it seems they didn't include very much new content or commentary which would've been worth while.

These are the only new things on it.

# Our Mrs. Reynolds with commentary by executive producer Joss Whedon and actors Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk and Ron Glass (BD Exclusive)
# Special Features: “Firefly” Reunion: Lunch with Joss, Nathan, Alan and Ron featurette (HD and BD Exclusive)

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1680

Amazon has it pre-release at ~$65. Double the cost of the DVD version.

However, those of us with freakin big TVs and awesome sound systems may still want to pick it up. It is full 1080p and they've gotten 5.1 DTS-HD audio which is the latest and greatest (behind lossless). I heard they were airing Firefly on DirectTV in HD, however that would've been 720p/1080i.

No word on Serenity on Blu-Ray. Though truthfully, I already own two copies of the movie anyway, not sure what else they could put in a BD.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's great news. I own a 720p TV and I've bought some blu ray on that (Pirates of the Caribbean 3), and the difference even with "just" 720 is astonishing. Its too bad the price point is so high though.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah man, the jump from 480i to 720p is mindblowing. Once you go HD, you never go back! The jump from 720p/1080i to 1080p is a little less improved and at times depends on the digital transfer done by the production company.

The price is quite high for 13 episodes. Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles have like 10 episodes and the blu-ray costs $20.

Fox are assholes knowing they can rip off fans of this franchise with no added content. It sucks..... but what are you gonna do. I keep hoping that the content listing showed on blu-ray.com is inaccurate and there is a lot more new content on it... I mean 3 disc's, 50 GB each. The audio is not lossless and I doubt the special features are 1080p/DTS-hd. They fit Dolby Surround 5.1 on 4 DVDs (which don't even add up to half of 1 Blu-Ray disc.

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's pretty good news! Now I only need a big TV screen to play my blu rays on :mrgreen:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: