Suikoden Utopian and Informational Kriegspiel Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Firefly/Serenity
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Firefly/Serenity Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey all!

For a while now(since about last May) I've been seriously obssessed with Firefly and its movie spin off Serenity. This show was created by Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon and tells the story of the tripulation of a cargo ship called Serenity, who will basically take on any job to keep flying. The show is basicaly a Sci-Fi/Western mix, which is evident from the get-go. The series is very character driven, and has increadible dialogue. Really, I could keep on talking about this all day long :P

Anyways, I'd like to see if there are any people who have seen the series and/or movie and if there are any fans out there of this wonderful series that Fox excecutives cancelled. Also, which are your favorite characters, episodes, moments from series. Basically express and discuss anything about the Firefly/Serenity universe!

I'm planning to purchase the Collector's Edition of Serenity as soon as I get some cash. I read somewhere that Whedon stated that chances of a sequel to Serenity depend mostly on the DVD's sales.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd be surprised if there wasn't already a topic for this lurking about somewhere. But anyway, Firefly is one of my favourites and probably the best sci-fi TV show (in my opinion) that I know of. Serenity was a great follow up too, not as good as it would have been getting the series renewed, but you take what you can get I guess. Jayne, Mal, Wash and Kaylee (or the actress who plays Kaylee :D) are the best.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I actually used the Search function to see if this was already created, but it showed nothing :(.

Also, I think I agree with you on favorite characters there. I absolutely loved each and every one of the ones you mentioned, though I've also grown attached to Inara and River, and sometimes Simon, over the course of time. I gotta agree though, that Jayne and Mal's lines are my favorites. I especially love Jayne's crudeness. He's just so unapologetic about everything he does. I remember the Hearts of Gold episode with the whorehouse. Some of his lines are just priceless there.
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kikito wrote:
I actually used the Search function to see if this was already created, but it showed nothing :(.

Yeah I figured you would have, still surprising that no one's made a topic on it till now though.

Kikito wrote:
Also, I think I agree with you on favorite characters there. I absolutely loved each and every one of the ones you mentioned, though I've also grown attached to Inara and River, and sometimes Simon, over the course of time. I gotta agree though, that Jayne and Mal's lines are my favorites. I especially love Jayne's crudeness. He's just so unapologetic about everything he does. I remember the Hearts of Gold episode with the whorehouse. Some of his lines are just priceless there.

That's the thing with the show, all the characters are great and have their moments, even Book ("It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps." :P).
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am a huge Firefly/Serenity fan, and I almost hate to hear about the show nowadays, because it makes me utterly depressed and furious that the idiots at Fox had no idea how to market this incredible series. It was doomed to fail at the start with Fox at the helm. They didn't even air the series in the right order.

At first I was reluctant to watch the show, because anything I have seen from Whedon I didn't really like (Buffy, Angel, etc.). But my friend had the series on DVD, and went to bed early one night...so from about 10 p.m. till about...10 a.m or so (it could have been longer or shorter) I watched the entire series back-to-back.

It is one of the best written series I have ever watched. The character development, and even moreso, the characters' chemistry with each other (both the characters and the actors, actually) was probably the best I have ever seen. And it was just hilarious.

I really don't know if I can pick a favorite episode. They were all just incredible. I would say my favorite characters were Jayne, Wash, River (boy howdy was she easy on the eyes. And is actually going to be on a new show on Fox in January called Chronicles of Sarah Connor, a Terminator spinoff show. Let's hope that fares a bit better than Firefly. :cry: ), and, of course, Mal. I am pretty happy to see Nathan Fillion getting some work after the series and the movie.

I really did like the movie, but the show just was perfect. And I didn't like how the movie kind of ended a few stories and characters I really wished to see come to more of a fruition.

Oh man. I hate thinking about Firefly. :(

Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm rather fond of Firefly myself. Blackjack told me to watch it, so I did. Incredible (part from the one episode that had a lazer gun; kinda outta place). Joss has said that Serenity wouldn't be the last screen (not sure if he meant big or little) outing for the Firefly crew but that won't be for a while, so I suppose that's something.

I love the end of Serenity when Mal is talking to River about being a pilot. Also, when Simon and Kaylee are kissing at the end, then River's head pops down from the vent. She's quality.

The truth about the Reavers was also very nice as I honestly didn't get the impression during Firefly that the writers would ever explain their existence properly. Then of course, the constant deaths in Serenity were heart-breaking.

If you're reading this thread and havn't watched Firefly or Serenity, then do so now! The power of the Joss compells you!

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Huge fan myself too! I went through a phase (well 3-4 phases to be exact) where my battle quotes were taken from the series or movie. I won a bet and had Tony Stark of New Armes wearing the intro song in his sig for a week. Honestly, I tell everyone I meet to watch it.

I have to agree with Hawk too. Each character is great. I don't think any one of them can be considered weak, or a character you don't enjoy seeing on the screen.

If you're a fan and don't own the box set or the DVD movie, go and buy it! I love this series, honestly.... I'm very attached to the characters and enjoy re-watching the episodes and movie all the time.

EDIT: On a board like this, I would bet there are a lot of browncoats here :)

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I don't think any one of them can be considered weak, or a character you don't enjoy seeing on the screen.

I don't think that Shepard got the character development his character deserved, as his character had the potential to be very interesting. Since he really wasn't developed, I cared about him the least. I also thought The Doc was kind of annoying. There are definitely favorites for me, but maybe that is just because I loved the humor in the show (and movie) slightly more than anything else.

Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My battle quotes from last phase were all adaptations of quotes from Serenity(The Movie). Not a lot of people recognized them to my knowledge though. I know Axiose did, though!

Bub wrote:

I really don't know if I can pick a favorite episode. They were all just incredible.

I go through phases, really. My favorite episodes have gone from Jaynestown to Out of Gas to Serenity(the episode) to Hearts of Gold and back to Out of Gas. I got fickle tastes is all.

Quote:

EDIT: On a board like this, I would bet there are a lot of browncoats here

I'm surprised no one's purchased a vessel and called it Serenity! Hm, that gives me an idea...
AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I too love Firefly and i'm very upset that one of the best shows i have ever seen was axed, stupid fox, first Futurama and now this!

Serenity i actually watched first before i saw the series, i totally loved it.

I really like how all of the characters interact on so many different levels, the plot was just amazing, the battles well filmed and choreographed and all of the twists and turns throughout the series.

Just awesome!
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love how all the space battle scenes...or just any space scene was completely quiet...just as how it would be if it were to really happen. It really was just one of many layers of icing on the cake that made me enjoy it all.

Fox has been utterly terrible at knowing how to market their fantastic shows. Firefly, Futurama, Arrested Development. I'm not the biggest Family Guy fan, but even that show they axed because they had no idea what they were doing.

I really hope Whedon comes back to the show. I couldn't see why he never tried to market the show to Sci-Fi or anything. Oh right, that's because (from what I heard) Fox still owns the rights to the show. That and I think Whedon is a bit too pretentious about his work and wouldn't do cable.

Last big news I have heard about Firefly is that they were thinking about making a MMORPG game off of the Firefly Universe. I would definitely play that!

Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I really hope Whedon comes back to the show. I couldn't see why he never tried to market the show to Sci-Fi or anything. Oh right, that's because (from what I heard) Fox still owns the rights to the show. That and I think Whedon is a bit too pretentious about his work and wouldn't do cable.

I would think another big reason for them not to move to a network like Sci Fi is that they probably couldn't give them the budget they needed. I haven't watched that channel in years(my new provider doesn't have it), but I don't really remember it being one of the big boys.

Quote:

Serenity i actually watched first before i saw the series, i totally loved it.

I actually watched Serenity before Firefly as well. I was completely hooked on the movie when it was showing in HBO this last summer. I think I watched it something like five times one week at one point!
Bub

Sons of Thunder

59807 Potch
0 Soldiers
1894561 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I would think another big reason for them not to move to a network like Sci Fi is that they probably couldn't give them the budget they needed. I haven't watched that channel in years(my new provider doesn't have it), but I don't really remember it being one of the big boys.

You should watch Battlestar Gallactica. It has..probably even better CGI and the like than Firefly. Sci-Fi could totally pull it off.

Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shepard didn't need any more character development after Serenity. I think in Serenity he's given the "Lazlo En Kuldes" factor; you know he was an operative for the Alliance but you don't have any proof. He's probably very similar to that of the Operative (played by the always watchable Chiwetel Ejiofor) in that he blindly served the Alliance before having an moment of clarity. His past was cloaked in mystery but that just leaves it open more to the imagination of what he got up to. At least, that's what I think of him.

He developed from the image of a Shepard (religious and all the conotations that go with an oldish priest), to someone with skill and knowledge of firearms, criminal activity and the Alliance.

Seems to me that he saw his "perfect world" and found hope better than the Alliance.

I wish I was a browncoat. I'm so new school about Firefly that it was dead and buried long before I bought the DVD :(

Quote:
The novelization of Serenity details the Operative's assault on Haven. During this time, Book shoots down an Alliance cruiser and the Operative disables him and orders Alliance soldiers to shoot him. There is a brief monologue which hints that the Operative knows something about Book that Mal and his crew do not. The Operative states that Haven is the last place he would've expected to find Book, and that his Shepherd's clothing is the last thing he would've expected Book to be wearing, based on what he's read.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Heh, I only caught Serenity long after it was showing in HBO over here. I didn't even know it was based off the Firefly series until about a couple months after I saw it for the first time. ANd it was only this year that I became a full-fledged fan.

As for Book, while I sort of agree with you, Axiose, I think that had the series gone on, they would've told us more about his past and his relationship to the alliance. Then again, now that I think about it they could still develop his past by introducing a character that used to know him or something like that.

One character that I really wish we had seen more of is Saffron. I found her to be one of the more interesting recurring characters outside the main cast. I especially love how she went all whacky near the end of Trash. I still want to know her real name :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: