Suikoden Uncouth and Irenic Keystone Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Martial arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally wouldn't consider Boxing a Martial Art but more of a sport. It does rely on discipline and training but so does any other sport, what makes boxing different from say karate is that the main purpose of boxing is competition. Some self-defence fighting styles I may not consider a martial art, either. To me, to be considered a martial art, the emphasis needs to be on the spiritual side and self-development side as well as the practical and competitive aspects.

Right now I'm doing Kendo which while quite fun is very painful. I have only been doing it for about 5 weeks since Uni started but already I have at least 10 blisters on my hands and feet. Some people think of Kendo as sword/ stick fighting, but it totally isn't, as a martial art it is so regulated in what you can and can't do that really it wouldn't be at all practical in a fight, it is very limited in the actual techniques involved and focuses on perfection of a limited few techniques rather than focusing on how to defeat ones opponent. Of course that is just from my limited experience so far in it. I think it would be a good basis for 'sword play/ sword fighting' but Kendo itself is much more and much less than sword fighting, although the theory in Kendo would make for a good base when combined with ideas from Fencing and just Swordplay in general.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Masaya

Flying Fusillades

222963 Potch
75 Soldiers
3635 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well.. Um ever since my parents gave me 2 wooden practice bokken for my birthday I've been practing with them, building up my control and I guess over all ability. I havn't really followed any certain form or path, however I've invented my own ways to control it, I'm sure they're similar to stuff I havn't heard of.

Besides that, a friend and I do practice push hands and sticky hands with each other once in a while for fun. I suggest it to anyone who hasn't. Or atleast look it up. It's kinda a fun exerise to practice and I've noticed it teach me alot without knowing it.

Finallying, alot of people roll their eyes without thinking about this. However I do, sorta just follow a way similar to Jeet Kune Do. Ofcoarse Its not that exactly, however I just sorta try and follow that path and mix and match differnt free street and taught styles just to see what works personally for me.

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have long been a fan of the martial arts. I love the Jeet-kun-do style the most but like all styles of fighting. I have a natural ability to pick up on moves as I see them being done and like to blend all of the moves together and use them as I need them. It is for that reason that none of my friends that studied martial arts would spar with me.

21st border guard unit

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Martial arts,eh?
well,i'm currently studying karate,still a brown belt thogh,but that means i'm just one belt away from black belt

God is perfect
any other than God are imperfect
-Jovia,Harmonian Chiei star

bored? try clicking this
Camus the Noble

Les Renés

1056014 Potch
224 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I did a couple of years of Tae Kwon Do and became a purple belt (moderately far in the belt hierarchy). I'm thinking of taking up a martial art again, but if I do, it probably won't be Tae Kwon Do.
Nash Latkje

The Guy Your Mother Warned You About...

41000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Woo... a martial arts topic... anyway, yeah, I have been a fan of martial arts ever since i saw enter the dragon and the way of the dragon by the one and only great man... Bruce Lee... after seeing those at the age of like...five (underaged i know lmao) i started asking my dad if he could get more (i was young... didn't even know what the internet was so...) so he got a couple of other ones like the green hortnet, fist of fury and this other Black and white Bruce Lee movie which he acted in at the age of FIVE!!!...anyway... enough of how i got into it...

Around the age of eight or ten... I started and joined a karate class through a mate who introduced me to it... but left because of it's boring classes and seemingly useless excercises.... I did want to join a jeet kun do school or a tai chi like class... but i couldn't find any plus i ain't going to fly to no country just to get some training...

Quote:
well,i'm currently studying karate,still a brown belt thogh,but that means i'm just one belt away from black belt

I thought blue was before black... :? maybe the one i went to was even worse than i imagined lmao... or just different...
Kasim Hazil

The Blue Moon Brotherhood

11390 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Martial arts is my life!!! I've been training since I was about 8 years old, off and on. But because of various reasons I've had to bounce around to different clubs and so I still don't have my black belt as of yet :( But I'm on course to getting it in another year or so, if things keep up.

Right now I study American Kenpo, which is an Americanized version of a particular form of Japanese Karate developed by a noble family in Japan, the Yoshitas from Southern Shaolin Kung Fu. It's evolved a lot since then and under the more recent additions from Ed Parker and Al Tracy is more of a self-defense based art, but it includes katas, weapons, etc. I also used to train in Goju Ryu Karate and Shorin Ryu Karate.

Bruce Lee's philosophy of Jeet Kune Do is absolutely the best way to view the martial arts. Ed Parker, the man who is considered the founder of my current style hosted the first tournament that Bruce Lee competed in in North America, and afterwards spent a lot of time with him and absorbed part of that philosophy. That's why the art has such a huge variety of moves and techniques, so that the artist can pick and choose whatever is most effective for them based on skill, strength, flexibility, body type, and many other variables.

When I get my black belt in Kenpo (finally!) I want to start doing Muay Thai and Jiu Jutsu to round myself out a little more.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You sure that you want to move around with different styles instead of sticking to one, Tiger? There is a saying that goes along the lines of this: It is better to do one techniques a thousand times than it is to do a thousand techniques once.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kasim Hazil

The Blue Moon Brotherhood

11390 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You make a good point. But most of the techniques are the same, but with different nuances and emphases. In Kenpo we already do a lot of kicks, knees, elbows, etc. that you'll see in Muay Thai, the difference is the methods of training, the methods of delivery, and the strategies involved in using them. The same with our ground fighting. I'm just going more in depth with things I already know. Besides, I'm not going to STOP doing Kenpo, I'll jsut be doing other things on the side (once I'm out of university and have a more open schedule and more money to pay for lessons)

My tournament went awesome! The field was actually bigger than I expected, but the judging was fair, the other guys were great sports and we all had a blast! I ended up coming in 3rd in my Open Hand Kata competition, but there was only 0.1 points separating me from the guy in 2nd place, and 0.3 between me and 1st, so I know I'm capable of winning if I do some tweaking.

I came 2nd in Free Sparring, the championship match was very close, but I admit that I lost to the better man. My head just wasn't in it, I was circling, he just had me way out of my game. Congrats to him!

Then I got my 1st place finish in Weapons kata. This is always my strongest event, I've won twice in a row before this, so this makes it a third. I've been working on perfecting this Bo kata for about a year and a half, and it really shows. I couldn't be more proud of how I did. I did it the best I possibly could, and even if I didn't win I'd have been satisfied with that.

All and all a great day :)
Rion Brant

Phoenix Squad

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've been doing Lau Gar kung fu for about a year and a half now and its pretty fun, all strikes, so no locks or grapples but thats alright, i'm about a year away from starting weapons (Im about to hit orange sash and you start trainign with staff at green which is the sash after orange) alot of lau gar is semi contact sparring, recently i also took up ju jitsu which is primarily graples and throws and locsk so hopefully the two will compliment each other, guess i'll see as i'm planning to stick with both

The Arabian Nomades

649 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I took judo for 3 years,I learned a little shoulin, I also learned a little marshal arts but I only took it for a week because I kept starting fights with other students, and I learn a small amount of ninjetsu. :mrgreen:
Eden

Private Godwin Army

558571 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did kickboxing for half a year. It was fun, but I am such a lazy bastard, so I quit. It was a mistake, but I know I won't start again :)

The Fool
Tokuro

White Storms

22016 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have made almost everthing in my city...
Since I was seven to ten I trained TKD and man it is my life. I also done Muay Thai, kickboxing, shotokan karate, kung fu, judo and capoeira (brazilian nacional figthing style) however I came back on TKD some three years ago and am a black belt 2 dan . Too bads that here in Brazil there isn't more stuff... I tried to find an aikido academy but there is not even a decent one here
Sir Vinsanity

Aquinas Knights

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, my school's janitor is a retired martial arts teacher, and he's been trying to get it set up so that you can take it as a class and get academic credit, but so far, no luck and it's my senior year next year. Although, last year before summer, he tried starting a kendo club and I joined that (even got a free bokken out of the deal), but that ended up coming to an abrupt stop because he ended up in need of surgery, and hasn't fully recovered yet. I've been keeping up with the few techniques he taught us before we stopped, but I haven't had the opportunity to spar with a live opponent, and wouldn't have the equipment to do so safely. But I do enjoy practicing what I know, because I feel it helps me attain at least a little more control over my body and helps me to focus.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I used to take shotokan karate while in high school. Got all the way to ni dan level black belt. I then moved on to taking aikido during the first couple years I was in college. I've seen moved on to taking Krav Maga and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu w/ some Vale Tudo training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: