Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Martial arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Martial arts Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How about it? any of you guys doing martial arts?

My experience in this is not much, but I guess it's pretty enough. I was learning karate for about 2,5 years is my Junior High. I was one belt before brown belt and only about 1,5 years until I got black (which means dan-1). I then quit it, because I dislike the non full-body contact system. I'm on the INKAI dojo BTW.

Later in High School I join the Silat (my native martial art, focusing on inner power and breathing technique) dojo, named 'Merpati Putih' (meaning white dove). It's full-body contact and I got a lot of pain there :D but it's pretty much enjoyable, and I honestly think that it's stronger than karate. Every member is considered as family, and there's no seniority. I was there for almost 3 years, got me only a few years before I can be a coach/tutor for the newbie. Another advantage that I got here is that we had a lot of job, mostly being security at concert, which means a little income and a free concert ticket :D . Sadly, after I got to the university, I quit. So right now the only activity i do is just doing workouts at the gym.... :D

Well?

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I don't do any myself, but one of my buddies has taken about 10 years of martial arts. The only one he's ever mentioned by name is aikido though. Last Saturday I met a girl who was going for her black belt in jujitsu Sunday morning (two days ago now). A couple of relatives of mine who live in California were taking karate; I don't know if they still are. That's about the extent of my indirect contact with it.

The Squirrel Mob

68112 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My activity really depends on your definition of martial arts. If you are using the commonly accepted modern definition of just unarmed fighting then no. Although I always wanted to get into it when I was younger. My parents never really let me and then I sort of just stopped caring about it.

However if you are using the original definition of "arts of Mars"(which would be any fighting style) then I am an ametuer of one style. A little over a year ago I got a book about medieval swordmanship. I have learned all of the basics of fighting with a longsword. However that is all I am able to do at the moment because I lack any kind of sparring partner. As such I can't really get use to any kind of situation that would allow me to see the proper use of any techniques. I also just lack the equipment for safely sparring anyways. I do hope to advance in my training though when I go to college because there is an organization there for this sort of thing.

Titles: Harmonian Tenki Star, Harmonian Jousting Champion
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

With longsword? my, that's pretty rare. You said there's an organization, I wonder how do you spare with one another, what equipment is necessary for that? Like kendo with bamboo sword maybe?

Right now, I actually wanted to join judo, but my friend said that it's too late at my age and he advise me to do my former art of fighting.

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I practice Isshinryu Karate, and I have been studying for about three years.
I am extremely interested in my sensei's interpretations of the reasons behind the moves, and I try to understand them myself.
There is an inherent spiritual beauty in martial arts when you reach a certain level, and I know I am only going to enjoy it more as time goes.
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I did some karate when i was some 8, 9 years old. But I stopped when we moved.

Playing Tekken and the King of Fighters and other beat 'em ups inspired me to take up martial arts again. I did some Hapkido for a few months, but it was in a small group, like 5 people in total, and it closed down. I had some fun using locks and stuff. I joined another one afterwards, which did some Hapkido, some boxing and a little bit of silat. But that was closed down later as well.

I'm not doing any right now, but would like to try my hand in some Silat, like you Kohaku.

Anyone done some boxing? I consider that a martial art. It's not all about kicking and swinging weapons, after all!

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mengo

Self-proclaimed Genius

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

i just did a year of judo. when i was a very little child. I still remember some of the moves, however.

i'd like to know if the "chinese drunken style" is a real art, or if it just comes to be a "derivative" of some other chinese martial art. and if yes, which one. The drunken style always impressed me.
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never done martial arts, id love to though but i cant because of my doggy back, i have a rare bone disease you see.
But one particular martial arts that i would love to do is Aikido.
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really wish I had started martial arts when I was a child, because it seems like such a great activity. Oh well maybe in my next life... :roll:
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually Crono, you can get started anytime you like ^_^. You're still young. If you don't have kids, you're probably still young enough to take on the more "hard" martial arts. If you do, then you need to take some to protect your kids from the strangers and wierdos stalking the parks and schools and stuff! :lol:

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

:lol: Or maybe I should have them learn martial arts starting when they're old enough to walk, to protect me from all the strangers and weirdos out in the world. I would love to raise super strong defense babies. :lol:
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
sanosukeii

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im doing TKD right now, I love it!
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Crono wrote:
:*laugh*: Or maybe I should have them learn martial arts starting when they're old enough to walk, to protect me from all the strangers and weirdos out in the world. I would love to raise super strong defense babies. :*laugh*:

lol, man, that would be mad!

But the world should have a first.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Kohaku

Red Veil

309182 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:
I'm not doing any right now, but would like to try my hand in some Silat, like you Kohaku.

Anyone done some boxing? I consider that a martial art. It's not all about kicking and swinging weapons, after all!

Try Merpati Putish, starshie. I heard that they open one dojo in Aussie. Try to contact the Indonesian embassy.

I was in boxing club about a year or so, I have told you that before right? in the photo thread if I'm not wrong, but I'm not that serious about boxing actually. But boxing sure is very fun.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There's this Dutch dude Jan de Jong who has this moderately famous martial arts center here in Perth. It's got jujutsu, silat ( i believe it was Merpati Putih or (something) Hati = "Pure Heart" style) and one more thing, i forget. But it's in the downtown area, and not close to home :| . Oh well, maybe later.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: