Suikoden Utopian and Illusional Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Buy an Album... For Free!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archy

PRAISE BE TO... GROOOWL RAINING BLOOD

506257 Potch
0 Soldiers
800 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Buy an Album... For Free! Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
its initial release, the album will be made available exclusively as a digital download from inrainbows.com, with a special "disc box" available by mail containing two CDs and recordings on LP vinyl. It is reported that a standard release of the album will take place in 2008.[15]

While the disc box is priced at ₤40 and includes the digital download, the price when purchasing just the download by itself is set by the buyer (plus a transaction fee of 45 pence if price paid is more than ₤0.00). On purchase, the buyer is prompted to type the desired price, with the text "It's up to you. No really, It's up to you." as an explanation.[16]

The album in question is actually none other than Radiohead's newest studio album, In Rainbows.

What is interesting is the way they're selling it. You can:

1. Buy it as you would any other normal album.
2. Get the disc box.
3. Download it... essentially for free.

Yes, you can order a download for it... and pay $0! I must say I am quite impressed with this, this was a nice touch for Radiohead... Die-hard fans would pay money for it as support, while the free download thing lets new listeners easily access Radiohead's musical style.

I think this a nice, innovative change in the business that we don't see every day. It's a breath of fresh air from all the standard marketing of CDs. And it's Radiohead, no less - I'm even thinking they'll get insane amounts of money just from this, I bet alot of huge fans are willing to pay big as sort of a thank-you to their favorite band.

I, for one, will probably pick up the album. I still don't know how I'm buying it, though.

Celes Tilly wrote:
If one of you were to ask, "Celes, what is Twisted Sister?" I would tell you God's honest truth.

"Butt rock."
Shad

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hah, yes, I had a lovely email waiting for me this morning from the Radiohead website:

Quote:
This is just a quick note to let you know first that Radiohead have made an album.
It is called In Rainbows, and it is now available to pre-order exclusively from Radiohead.com

I don't know if I'll buy the big box or just the regular retail cd. I would have downloaded it for free first regardless. Same principle as any other album, I'll pay for it when I decide I like it. This being new Radiohead, I'm sure I'll like it. Besides, it's nice to have a physical copy of an album. They're so round and shiny....
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahh, I've been hoping for a new Radiohead album. It's good to hear it'll be released relatively soon.

This is probably a way of fighting against illegal downloads (maybe?); gj to Radiohead. I'll just buy it, though. >_>
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

HOLY HELL! This album is AWESOME! I like it more than OK Computer. oO
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm giving it a serious listen right now, I downloaded it earlier and played it through twice without listening. It seems much more chill than most of their recent work, then again I started on the last song of the album accidentally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: