Suikoden United and Illegal Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Wind Rune...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Wind Rune...? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This has been bothering me for a while...and this applies to the entire trilogy. What`s the point of the Wind Rune? Maybe there`s some simple answer I`m overlooking, but they seem completely and utterly useless to me, and I`ve never really used one. The Fire and Lightning runes are much better for damage, Water is much better for healing, and the sleep status can`t be that useful? Am I missing something here? I`d be grateful if someone who regularly uses a Wind Rune could tell me what makes it better than the other elemental runes....

1000 Potch
150 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The wind rune is one of the few runes that have both offensive and healing capabilities in the games. I think the only other rune that can deal damage and heal is the resurrection rune, which is not in number three and hard to find in the first game.
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Wind Rune is godly. In Suikoden 1, Healing Wind and Storm are the most useful magics, until, of course, you get Shining Wind.

Even Wind of Sleep is good.
Queen

Ghosts of Gor

2000 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I do agree that wind of sleep is kind of crapy, the wind rune does deal quite a bit of damage when on the offense. The Shredding will take out a sizable chunk out of all monsters on th fighting ground.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I loved the Wind Rune. It could put people to sleep(I've actually found that useful), attack one person or a slew of people. Not to mentioned that it did indeed have some nice healing capacity. In Suikoden 3, it proved to be quite formidable. Well, the True Wind Rune was, but I've always liked the Wind Rune.
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

it's an elemental, or, more precisely, what people used to think of as elemental; earth, water, fire and wind. if it weren't present, the whole elemental scheme for that set wouldn't make much sense.

i prefer lightning, water and earth; by far the worst is fire, considering the collateral damage aspect, of course. even though it doesn't do collateral damage, wind never did much for me, play wise in any game. the healing and attack spells on the other runes were far more impressive.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Stampede

The One-Eyed Jacks

30154 Potch
11 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I never found much use for Earth magic myself. With the exception of whatever that spell is that cancels all magic, I never found any of its spells even a bit useful.
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
This has been bothering me for a while...and this applies to the entire trilogy. What`s the point of the Wind Rune? Maybe there`s some simple answer I`m overlooking, but they seem completely and utterly useless to me, and I`ve never really used one. The Fire and Lightning runes are much better for damage, Water is much better for healing, and the sleep status can`t be that useful? Am I missing something here? I`d be grateful if someone who regularly uses a Wind Rune could tell me what makes it better than the other elemental runes....

Wind Rune is supposed to be the wild card of the elemental runes. It has various spells from status attack on enemies, healing our own party, dealing damage to enemies, reflecting the enemy's spell. So it depends on your preference. You're right that Water is better for healing and Lightning/Fire is better for attacking. But Wind has both healing and attacking in 1 rune. So in a sense, if your character could equip only 1 rune and you need both defense and offense, Wind Rune might be useful for you.

It doesn't really excel at anything, but it has a little bit of everything.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The main purpose of the rune is to complete the elemental circle. I don't use it much, but it's a handy magic rune to have nonetheless.
Kobold

35491 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The wind rune is very good, basically due to The Shredding. Shredding has been a useful spell for a long time.

In one, there's also that other storm thingy.

In 2, shredding was good, and cyclone that that heal and damage spell.

3, wind is definitely good due to fire having the area effect business, and shredding being one of the few spells which hits all enemies. Funeral wind was good as well, and so is that heal and damage spell.
Eggith Cyrene

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

never really used it. I take it off anyone who has it and sell the wind rune. as for luc? bah never used him anyway.

Suikoden 5 didnt make me less of a fan; it restored my faith after the abomination that was suikoden 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Luc was awesome. Decent magic, and pair him with the Blue Gate and you have one hell of a character. Course you do wanna switch Wind for Cyclone.
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In S1 the wind rune was really bad IMO, wind of sleep never seemed to work, the attack spells did pitiful damage and the healing spells didn't match up to the water rune. I remember going back to play S1 after using Luc in S2, thinking that he was really going to kick ass, but after the shredding did like 100 damage to one enemy, I kicked him straight out.

In S2 they did a great job of balencing the runes, all 5 are really good, and it's hard to pick a favourite or least favourite. The shredding suddenly became an awesome spell, especially in the hands (hand) of Luc.

In S3 the wind rune is an average rune overshadowed by the excellence of the lightning and water runes but miles better than the earth and fire runes (which has to be the worst magic rune in the history of Suikoden).

When you talk about the wind rune being useless, I hope you have only played S1, in which case I would agree with you.
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, it`s maybe not useless per se, but as sybillious said, the other runes just outperform it in every aspect. And having watered-down healing and offence in one rune isn`t that big of a deal...it`s not hard to find an extra rune slot in the party, at least not in S2 and 3.

And to the above poster...you do realize you can remove Luc`s Wind rune in S1, right? He does indeed kick ass with a Lightning rune...

EDIT: Oh, and about Earth...the first spell which lowers the damage you take can be quite useful at times. It helped me with some of the bosses in Geddoe`s chapters, at least...and I often use it if I have a spare rune slot on someone. It might not be amazing, but it helps a little.

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The true runes are meant to represent the balance in nature. Of course, some might find other runes to be useful, but there are still there for the completeness' sake.

I wonder how many people actually use the less popular command runes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: