Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Kraalesque Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Features every RPG should have
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikano

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm...these are some nice suggestions/etc

Though some of this might be repetitive- Personally speaking for me it's:

1) Be able to pause anywhere -Biggest thing I'm annoyed at at alot of the today's games. It just bothers me that I can't stop the in-game clock thingy if I have to run to the bathroom or something. And also...what's this bull about only being able to pause during battles too?! C'MON! How hard could it be to program 'pause anywhere'?!
And NO! Merely opening the status menu WILL NOT SUFFICE in place of THE PAUSE BUTTON!

2) Have easy access to saving -Although I don't particularly care if one can't save everywhere in the game. It can get annoying if there are so few save points/ or they're so hard to find that if you die you have to go through 2 hours of dungeon crawling again...or something like that

3)Option to skip or fast forward CG scenes/sequences or long dialogues -A few recent games I've picked up they sort of force you to sit there and listen through the dialogue. I want to be able to fast forward or skip through it if I've played it already. Same goes for CG scenes.

4)An involving/interesting plot -This isn't really an issue but hey, what's keeping me from mentioning it eh?

I think everything else doesn't really matter for me...unless you want me to start going into my general hate for tactical games and slight dislike for non turn-based RPGs...but that'd be getting too much into my bias against certain specific things...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Son of Liberty

17460 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let me see...

The availability to save anywhere - Boy, I really can't stand save points any longer. I really wish I can save at anywhere. I know this might not be appropriate, but this is a game after all, right?

the ability to skip movies/cut-scenes - Same reason with fellow members who stated it.

Compelling characters - Since we are playing a game here, the most important aspect of RPGs is characters. I don't mind if the plot is straightforward, but an RPG must have great characterization.

Choices between English and Japanese audio - Not many people are like Capcom or Atlus that can produce English voices that are great. So this choice, for me, is necessary.

I think that's all.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

4)An involving/interesting plot -This isn't really an issue but hey, what's keeping me from mentioning it eh?

I am. Get out of my thread. :P

There is a problem with being able to save anywhere - it makes it too easy to abuse the game. Take Oblivion, for example. Alot of things are randomized, such as which plane of Oblivion each gate takes you to, the enemies in each room, and, most notably, the effects of the Sigil stone you get for closing the gate. At the end of each exploration into oblivion, you get a stone with very powerful enchanting abilities, some of which are crap (Fortify Personality, Light 50 ft) and others are by all means divine (Absorb Health on strike, Fortify Strength.) Since the effects are decided when you pick it up, you can stand in front of the Sigil Stone, save, get the stone, and reload ad nauseum until you get one of the super-powerful effects.

Also, there is a danger to being able to save anywhere - for the love of god, you had better make alternating saves, or else you may find yourself half a second away from death when you save, and if you dont have a previous save, you have t ostart from scratch. Anyone who's played Emulators knows this all too well.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being able to save anywhere makes the game much shorter and easier in my opinion.
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's all up to the player. If you aren't manly enough to say "I'm not gonna save every 5 seconds because I'm not a scary chicken" it's your choice. The game isn't saving itself.

And don't go with the "temptation to save" argument, it's for those weak of gamepad. The possibility should be there, wether you use it or not should be up to the player.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A game that relies on saving limitations to be difficult is a sign of poor game design.

When I lost against a boss due to poor setup (or, worse, because of main character's being hit by Hama or Mudo spells in SMT titles, for example), I don't exactly appreciate replaying an entire dungeon so that I can experience a longer game.
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

NO RANDOM LAST BOSSES AFTER THE STORYLINE HAS CONCLUDED.

Also, I hate anime cut scenes in video games. Just because I play RPGs doesn't mean I fucking like anime.

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thief wrote:
When I lost against a boss due to poor setup (or, worse, because of main character's being hit by Hama or Mudo spells in SMT titles, for example), I don't exactly appreciate replaying an entire dungeon so that I can experience a longer game.

Fucking Nocturne on hard.

I just had to say that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: