Suikoden Unique and Illegal Kibbutz Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is there something in the air or water?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There was a language filter. It was removed / relaxed for various reasons.

As for 'saying things straight up', Admins and Moderators do, with that particular member via PM as there is no need to have an open broadcast for everyone to see, it can be disruptive to that thread or forum and this site. Offensive material is edited / removed and that member is warned via PM, nothing retarded about it.

The board rules are here for a reason.
CAPTAIN PLANET

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

retrospect. wrote:
ultimately, if there's a problem, just say so, straight up, so there is no confusion as to what that person did wrong, and why they shouldn't do it again. keeping any kind of problem hush hush and deleting posts and keeping it to PMs is retarded.

In the same light, why keep posts that offended a person or a group of people? It's probably better for mods and admins to delete or edit posts, so the offensive post doesn't make more people upset.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

because everybody will be offended by different things and there is no standard that way. with a clear example available moderators can say "this is not acceptable" and then people will learn the behavioral boundaries instead of just assuming that we're all as socially reserved as each other and that we should know better than to act as we would somewhere else.

Headstrong

317417 Potch
2460 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's pretty east to define what will offend most people, or what most people will consider "offensive". There's no point in humiliating a certain person publically in saying what needs to be done from the moderators or admins. Thus, the private messages come into play.
ard, save the dirty talk for when we meet!
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The mods are indeed quick to act on this site, so unless you've got contacts (ie are on IRC) then there is no way to know just what happened. However, this is more helpful than harmful - if the comments were indeed offensive, then the more people that saw it, the more people that would get pissed off and start hating the member that posted it.

11331071 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Different moderators moderate with different styles; some will do the public thing (although I discourage it), while others are good with sending out PMs. Others gently guide astray topics to its proper course, and others just silently delete stuff. The mix of these various moderation principles make this community well maintained and free of perfidious junk.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

retrospect. wrote:
because everybody will be offended by different things and there is no standard that way.

Wouldn't it just be easiest to then NOT post what could potentially be offensive? Just because there's different viewpoints as to what is and isn't offensive doesn't mean you can post it because you don't find it offensive. I'm a very opinionated person, and most of the mods here know that. However I enjoy my stay here at Suikox so I try to hold my tongue and reserve what I say as to not ruffle feathers. I have been warned both privately and publicly in the past about various things that I did against the rules or were pushing the rules and I adjusted.

Its a maturity issue here also. We here at Suikox like to have mature discussions that don't degrade to offensive comments. Of course some people are more easily offended given their region, background and personal pasts and views, but in general, if you are going to say something that is harmful, you probably shouldn't say it at all. An example would be abortion. Its one thing to discuss in a rational manner the pros and cons and the politics of it, and its another to jump in and call someone a "baby killer". The latter is definitely going to offend someone. There's a way to express your opinions on matters without offending someone in most topics. Not everyone will agree with you, nor should you have to agree with everyone. Just don't let it get personal. If you start to take things personal, walk away. Getting into a huge fight isn;t worth all the hassle.

One of the major reasons I like Suikox is because it doesn't degrade to barbaric "You are an idiot"-"No, you're an idiot" arguments like over at other sites I used to frequent. I feel the rules we have in place here are a good thing, not a harmful thing that needs to be tested.

Quote:
with a clear example available moderators can say "this is not acceptable" and then people will learn the behavioral boundaries

Until that thread drowns and weeks later someone does it again. Its best to delete them and get them out of the way and then direct the offender to the rule they breached via PM.

Also, if you read the rules, they are pretty clear on what you can and can not do. We shouldn't need in thread exampling.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
HarmonianHiccup

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course, if people did post these things to begin with, we wouldn't have to worry about it, would we? THere are things that people say without thinking, but it worries me that people here also have, from time to time, said things with malice aforethought, and that does nothing but harm.\
The mods seem to be doing a decent job though, on the most part!

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Futch

JUST ME AND THE OTHER BIG DUDES

125356 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there something in the air or water? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
For the last week or so, moderators and myself have noticed increased incidents of people acting stupid. These include stuff like personal attacks, negative comments made about an entire gender, race, nationality, etc, and other tripe. Rules forbid these things.

It's always strange how these happen in spurts from individuals who have no connection with each other. I'm sure there's some sort of cause, like radioactive isotopes in the water or some mysterious electromagnetic wave from an extraterrestrial source. Regardless, it's annoying and disruptive for the community.

So, stop.

Thanks.

Do you (or anyone from the site for that matter) send Pm's warning of this conduct or something? Or did you post here to avoid doing that?

I know you said different mods do different stuff but since this is a "global" warning.
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Public warnings tend to be posted only after mods have dealt with several cases of the same thing in a short span of time (usually via PM). To avoid even more cases, a public warning is posted.

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most of the people who have been showing up on the Modar, have been given at least one warning so far through PM. So if you're sitting here wondering if this applies too you, but you haven't been spoken too about it, then more likely than not, you just haven't crossed the line yet.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It all happens silently in the night Futch!
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1132804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
Wouldn't it just be easiest to then NOT post what could potentially be offensive?

Yes, that would be the most desirable course of action though there are likely those who post controversial or offensive material to make an impact or get noticed. Unfortunately, with any site you're going to get your fair share of stupid people, but whether you get the type which are benign and willing to learn from their mistakes or the type which believe their way is the only way is hit or miss.

Naturally, it's easy to see how to deal with each case. The former just needs to be shown what the problem was and, most likely, it won't be intentionally repeated. With the latter, well, to paraphrase JMS on his explanation of 'spoo': Just ban 'em.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

CAPTAIN PLANET wrote:

In the same light, why keep posts that offended a person or a group of people? It's probably better for mods and admins to delete or edit posts, so the offensive post doesn't make more people upset.

I have been on the internet reading thigns to learn anything and everything is offensive to someone.

saying hypnosis is a valid thing of science, saying putting a frog in a blender and letting it sit for a 100 years will make a dog, making fun of "prussian blue", saying we should feed war orphans. It all will but someone's undies in a bunch.

a flame war can even start with a simple "i like chicken".

Oh and on getting butthurt, I have someone on a forum in a huff because

1) she felt like she shouldn't mention the psycopath in a fictional show being made more psychopathic in fanfiction I found it odd because "hes not real so say is name"

2) shes offended that I don't understand why so many people are hot for fictional nutters when if they ran into a real sociopath the might not enjoy it.

Oh my god, the devil kuwaizair master of pain and suffering did it again!
anyone offended that I laugh at your love afair for lets say" Luca Blight and yet its ironic you have issues with me?

see folks, even without racial slurs, calling someone shoe god a worthless cupcake or that a large precentage of interent users on any given forum aren't as bright as the whitest text is. *snorts*
trust me I know offence, I can get banned from a community who might specialize in hate.

Last edited by kuwaizair on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
retrospect.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

which is what i'm talking about, if there isn't some kind of guideline as to what our opinions are supposed to be while we post here how are we going to stop offending everyone?! it's anarchy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: