Suikoden Uncouth and Informational Knowledge Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Is there something in the air or water?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Is there something in the air or water? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For the last week or so, moderators and myself have noticed increased incidents of people acting stupid. These include stuff like personal attacks, negative comments made about an entire gender, race, nationality, etc, and other tripe. Rules forbid these things.

It's always strange how these happen in spurts from individuals who have no connection with each other. I'm sure there's some sort of cause, like radioactive isotopes in the water or some mysterious electromagnetic wave from an extraterrestrial source. Regardless, it's annoying and disruptive for the community.

So, stop.

Thanks.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know, its school seasion.

so we aren't allowed to slander anyone or anything at all? what about someone like me who is being sexualy harrased by minors? I'm not allowed to say "well nobody said little boys were smart"?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I don't know, its school seasion.

Indeed, alot of stress around this time with moving in and what have you, so that's probably it, though it's still not an excuse for stupidity.

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yvl wrote:
though it's still not an excuse for stupidity.

I have discoverd if one hangs around stupid people for long enough, or large crowds it will rub off. prehaps the offenders are in a place that is overpopulated with those types.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Interesting to see that the only people who has posted so far are people who suffer from incurable chronic illnesses (including me, of course).

And no, slander (which equals personal attacks) is not allowed. It's been in the rules since the beginning of time at this site. You can also pick up most children's stories and see that those who act like dicks to others tend to meet a shitty end, and the same general archetype applies to this community. Everyone here is above the age of 13 (or otherwise you're legally not supposed to be here), so it is a given that people act with common courtesy and proper respect is shown when interacting with other people.

Of course, having some fun is good. By no means, the intent isn't to bind everyone with rules, and you can see that we're rather lax here compared to some other places. However, understand that not everyone thinks of the same things as "fun" and that people will get pissed off with comments you never expect. Know this-- that this site is visited by people from all around the world; they bring different cultures, different expectations, different ideas of what's "funny."

We want to remain a welcoming place for people of all walks of life. This is why we don't tolerate generalized negativities against various groups. People don't need to get hurt here, and I'd prefer to shut this site down if it were to turn into a crucible of bigotry and betrayal.
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Vextor wrote:
a crucible of bigotry and betrayal.

Ha ha ha, that's just too funny to not turn a smile. :D

Bigotry and betrayal, eh? Well, what if one makes fun of someone else for being a bigot? In essence wouldn't that sort of be like someone's way of righting the wrong...? It might make the bigot feel uncomfortable, and hell, isn't that kinda' what you're getting at?

Or maybe I should just stop while I'm ahead. Yeah, that's probably it.

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

what does incurable chronic illness have to do with anything? I have an incurable chronic illness and it doesnt and in my opinion shouldnt affect the way one posts.

i would like to know what site is more strict than this one? I know of 1 or 2 but not many...

people should just stop taking the internet so seriously

Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Jinx wrote:
what does incurable chronic illness have to do with anything? I have an incurable chronic illness and it doesnt and in my opinion shouldnt affect the way one posts.

i would like to know what site is more strict than this one? I know of 1 or 2 but not many...

people should just stop taking the internet so seriously

It affects your ability to post, when that incurable, chronic illness is stupidity. Not that, Vextor was implying that.

On the topic at hand, it's not taking the internet too seriously. It's about respect and common sense. If you can't respect people on this site, and use common sense while posting. You will most likely be warned, or just banned. It's not always "just text" to people.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sai Fujiwara wrote:
It might make the bigot feel uncomfortable, and hell, isn't that kinda' what you're getting at?

I'm not really interested in making bigots feel uncomfortable; instead I'd prefer to invite them out of this site.
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh by the way, this isnt the only site that's having problems. There have been two (sanctioned) flame wars on the site I mod at since September, as opposed to the one we had within the past year.

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know if it's really the cause, but a lot of people may simply not read the rules. As far as I know, aside from having a page displaying the rules come up during or immediately after the registration, there isn't any way to force people to actually read the rules.

Now, that is by no means an excuse for disregarding the rules, but it is something which should be considered a potential cause. If people can't be bothered to read the rules, then it is logical to surmise that there will be infractions either willingly (by those who simply do not care) or through ignorance.

Naturally, I don't know how things are done within all of the nations, but some people might be used to more lax enforcement of rules within nations and then run out of control even in the community. Just a thought, though it's probably the furthest from the truth.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It could just be that SuikoX is getting a bit too big (perish the thought!), and is attracting the wrong sorts. But, that would not explain instances elsewhere. Maybe we should just go with: There are a lot of idiots out there. Hopefully, we get more of the right people to come around, though I haven't seen much of the wrong people myself here.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

I don't know if it's really the cause, but a lot of people may simply not read the rules. As far as I know, aside from having a page displaying the rules come up during or immediately after the registration, there isn't any way to force people to actually read the rules.

You may be on to something there - but instead, have it in a "welcome PM," and let them know breifly in addition to welcoming them that the rules here may be more strict than they are used to (in a less direct fashion, perhaps) and provide them a link to the rules. People are usually too excited to explore the forum to read the rules right away, especially when the rules are presented in the registration process, since they assume that it's "the usual." That's also probably the reason why people don't read rules in general, actually.

Cosby You! Black Entertainer

102725 Potch
420 Soldiers
30 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

as what i can only assume to be the single most crass person on this site, i would just say put a language filter on if you're going to get antsy over abrasive people like myself talking like boorish slandering neanderthals. ultimately, if there's a problem, just say so, straight up, so there is no confusion as to what that person did wrong, and why they shouldn't do it again. keeping any kind of problem hush hush and deleting posts and keeping it to PMs is retarded.

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

retrospect. wrote:
as what i can only assume to be the single most crass person on this site, i would just say put a language filter on if you're going to get antsy over abrasive people like myself talking like boorish slandering neanderthals. ultimately, if there's a problem, just say so, straight up, so there is no confusion as to what that person did wrong, and why they shouldn't do it again. keeping any kind of problem hush hush and deleting posts and keeping it to PMs is retarded.

Swearing isn't so much the problem, in fact it is allowed (when used sparingly and not to insult other members).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: