Suikoden United and Infamous Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

RIP Robert Jordan - Writer of Wheel of Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You will be sorely missed, Robert Jordan. I was so hoping to read up on the final book. Well, it's not like it will not be finished and released, just it might not be in the vision that the original author himself had hoped for. I am so looking forward to reading The Memory of Light, if that is the title that Tor Books is planning to go with.

I know that there were some people who, like Onimaru previously, stayed away from reading this series because it was just so big. I liked the fact that it was so big.

Robert Jordan had really inspired me, especially since there was the amalgamation of different cultures, some based upon actual traditions from cultures here on Earth, or those made up. I have read several other fantasy series, and i found them to be relatively generic compared to the world of the Wheel of Time. One exception would be Ian Irvine's series of the Three Worlds, like the View from the Mirror series and the Well of Echoes series, which had an awesome setting unlike any fantasy setting ever set. I was hoping that more was to be disclosed about this world. I felt that not enough was given at this point, after reading the Knife of Dreams. But the final installmennt is supposed to be really huge, like 1,500 pages long. I just can't wait. :twisted:

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Exile

Sword Brothers

6894145 Potch
200 Soldiers
91 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is an extremely sad thing because the guy was so close to finishing the main series of a work spanning years upon years of his life. He planned this series to end in the twelfth book but he had still always said there were more Wheel of Time stories to be written afterwards (I always felt those would follow Narishma as he was prophecised to 'follow after' the Dragon Reborn once he pulled the Ter'Angreal Callandor from the Stone in Tear but I guess we'll never know now). I love a series with good backstory and the Wheel of Time had a lot of depth and history written into it, maybe some of Jordan's choices I didn't like all the time but as a whole the series is my favourite work of fantasy going.

It had politics, magic, romance, humour and a style that I entirely enjoyed. I hope he finished a significant amount myself, so that the story is largely of his own hand as opposed to someone else, I really don't mind someone picking it up where he left off just for completion's sake. I know it wouldn't be as good as if it had been done himself but I would like to see Jordan's ending realised even if it is in someone else's words it will still be his ideas and from his notes anyway and I want to know what Jordan intended rather than imagining it personally. I mean a lot of things were prophecised so you have a reasonable idea of how it will turn out anyway but I'm sure he had spent quite a lot of time working out a couple of surprises to throw in for us too. I'd like to experience those still.

Cry woe, destruction, ruin, and decay -
The worst is death, and death will have his day.
Phamex

Raccoon Dogs

135274 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I love to read but I don't have a head for retaining facts. I read up to about the 9th or 10th book and then had to wait over a year for the next one to come out, and in that time I forgot just about everything that had lead up to the current events. Even while reading the series I was forgetting important tidbits. I almost felt the need to start taking notes but I had no idea where to start. I tip my bonnet to Jordan in his successful weaving of a very complicated tapestry, and I'm sorry that he couldn't see it to completion, but I may be one of the few people glad to see a new hand take up the last bit of this story. I'm hoping whoever picks up the pen will keep it simple and be honest enough with themselves to not try and emulate Jordan's style. I still have a lot of hope for the ending even without the original author. As soon as it's completed I'll pick up the last two books and read my way through the series again. Hopefully without any huge lapses in memory.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really wouldn't worry too much whether the writer who finally does finish the 12th book will go too far astray from Jordan's own story. The writer will have all the notes Jordan created for the final book that should make it easy to write the final book without trying to figure out what Jordan had in mind for an ending.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I remember reading something within the little section "about author" at the end of his books which stated that he intended to continue writing books until he dies. Ironic, no?

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Samakain

93851 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

people saying that they'd prefer to see jordan's work not completely, PAH to you, PAH i say. I think its a major disservice to one of the greatest storytellers of the last century's and this one not to add the last 20% to the last book and get it done, I've been reading since book 8 come out and i've re-read the series each time a new one is realesed, i'm reading it again now including "a new spring" which is a prequel, and am loving it. I realise that book 12 is going through some major delays now but i'm content to wait.

With the notes, with most of the book already done and with such a strong theme and feel set down for the series so far i seriously doubt you'll see much of a change for those few portions of the book not written by the great man himself.

I don't think he's truely going to be able to rest till someone puts paid on the series, until the Dragon Reborn faces the Dark One on the Last Day.

yours
Sa

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day"
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To each one their opinion, I say. Personally speaking, if I were a fan of Robert Jordan's books, I would be angry if the quality of the last book was terrible compared to his other works and that kind of thing would probably linger around for a long time. Of course, the lack of a proper ending would annoy me just as much.
This brings back memories of a time when I had helped a mother decide what book to buy for her daughter. One of the selections had been the tenth book of the Wheel of Time series, while the other was part of a trilogy. I told her to get the latter, because I remembered that The Wheel of Time series was a long one.
I think I'd like to read this series one day if I can, since it has a lot of detail and continuity, which I like. However, I don't think I'll do it until I have more money, since I'd like to get a lot of the books at once to minimize the chances of me forgetting all of the characters by the time I get the next few.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, for those thinking the last book will never see the light of day they should just stop. Robert Jordan had already made it known to his fans in his own blogsite that if he did pass away before he finished the final book there's enough notes for another writer to take up the job and complete it. Jordan also has quite a number of writer friends who are also fantasy authors which one may assume that he has asked one to finish the job for him. The book will get a delay of a couple years while his family grieves and goes through the process of handling his estate. Not to mention getting the ghost writer chosen to familiarize himself/herself with all of Jordan's notes and the past books.

While there might be a slight change in style and tone due to a different writer the series itself has become so rich in backstory and detail that the final book will pretty much write itself to conclusion. One thing Jordan has said from the beginning he wrote the final chapter first when he began the series. The ending has already been written and everything else has been to just fill the gap which precedes it.

So, I wouldn't worry overmuch that the The Wheel of Time series will never see a conclusion. If new Dune novels and Lord of the Rings novels could still be made and made well using notes by their original authors then I'm guessing The Wheel of Time series will get the same treatment.

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:

One thing Jordan has said from the beginning he wrote the final chapter first when he began the series. The ending has already been written and everything else has been to just fill the gap which precedes it.

Really? That's news to me. I didn't know that. Well, it sounds good to me, yet strange. But not in any manner a bad way.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, Samakain, you're opinion (though I only read the very beginning of the post) reminds me of two composer, which my music theory teacher had talked about (Bach and Beethoven, if I remember correctly), where one passed writing a piece and his student (who was absolute garbage) finished the piece, and, though it followed the exact pattern which was intended, it was not anything close to the genious work done before his passing. In the case of the other (I believe this one was Bach), they just released his work, as far as completed, and you actually hear the layers fall away towards the end of the piece, since it was a strong outline, but not yet detailed. The later actually stands as a great testament to the composer, as you actually hear him pass, essentially. So really, it's all in how you look at it. It could be a good thing to have the work completed, but it is not the work of Robert Jordan, and may stand a better testament to his works as an unfinished piece, rather than someone else completing it, and not doing it justice, or giving a faded message, as we face without having the original mind behind Suikoden.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starslasher wrote:

Really? That's news to me. I didn't know that. Well, it sounds good to me, yet strange. But not in any manner a bad way.

There's quite a bit of writers who do big on-going epics who usually come up with the series' ending already written down before starting up the rest of the story. It saves them the trouble of getting writer's block when they're about to finish the whole thing. It also gives them a goal to shoot for without going too much into a tangent or subplots.

One fantasy writer who I must say seems to have lost his way in terms of his own large on-going series is Terry Goodkind. I read the first six books in his Sword of Truth series but then I realized he didn't seem to have an idea of where he was going to and I didn't see an end to his series. He always had some new villain or evil force to deal with with each book and they seem to just get stronger or just carbon-copies of an earlier bad guy.

I pretty much stopped reading that series even though Kahlan was and is still one of my favorite female fantasy characters.

The Hidden Foxes

221997 Potch
26 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
I pretty much stopped reading that series even though Kahlan was and is still one of my favorite female fantasy characters.

Go back to it. The last book in the series comes out in November. The last three books have been written as a trilogy, and he seems to have recaptured the feeling of the first three books.

Chainfire (Book 9), Phantom (Book 10), Confessor (Book 11) are the last three titles. Chainfire and Phantom were great, and I look forward to Confessor.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I may go back to it, but like Jordan's wheel of Time series and Martin's Song of Fire and Ice, I always have to re-read all the previous books before I read the latest in the series. I don't know if I'm up to it right now to go back and read all the Sword of Truth books I've read so far. I may just make use of Wiki and refresh my memory up that way.

344185 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have to go, but very quickly I wanted to say that I have heard some bad things about Terry Goodkind. As in not to read his books. I was told all his stories are pretty much the same and it has a very recycled feeling to it. Let me know!
Ryu

The Sunwall Army

83872 Potch
100 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm reading Jordan's WoT series right now and while i do enjoy the books i have found some of the endings to be anticlimatic. I'm only on the fourth book thought and i'll probably keep reading.

and I've never Read Song of Fire and Ice, i've heard good things, but i just don't know if i can handle another long book series right now. :off topic:

Anyway back to the topic i just have to say it must really suck that he died right before finish the last book. I mean i know he knew it was coming but still... it's like not being able to finish your lifes work. :cry:

"If you beat a dead horse vigorously enough, it's constant twitching and juttering will at least give an assembulence of activity." ~Yahtzee, from The Escapist:Zero Punctuation
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: