Suikoden Unique and Irenic Keystone Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

RIP Robert Jordan - Writer of Wheel of Time
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: RIP Robert Jordan - Writer of Wheel of Time Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Robert Jordan, whose real name is James Oliver Rigney, Jr., passed away this past Sunday from complications from primary amyloidosis with cardiac amyloidosis. Those know of Jordan through his epic fantasy series, Wheel of Time, which has spanned 11 large books with a 12th book he had been writing when he died.

The twelfth book was to be the final book in the series as he had promised to fans on his website. With the title of A Memory of Light, this final book in the series will have to be finished by another writer using the uncompleted manuscript in addition to the copious notes Jordan had collated just in case he did die before completion.

I've been a major fan of the Wheel of Time series and it saddens me that Jordan was unable to see the story he had been writing for near close to over two decades to it's inevitable conclusion. But like Frank Herbert's own Dune epic, I think there'll be writers out there who will take up the task of finishing Jordan's epic and even continue creating the backstory of the world Jordan had created.

More and more of the epic fantasy writers are getting old with some, like Jordan, having their own major epic fantasy series still left uncompleted. This death may just signal the beginning of the second Golden Age of epic fantasy as there's less and less fantasy writers creating stories in the epic-style as Jordan and his other contemporaries like George R.R. Martin and Ursula K. Le Guin.

I shall be raising a pint of guinness to Jordan and hope he's taken his place in the Wheel of Time waiting to be let out when his time comes full circle and it his time to join another age.

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hope that he may rest in peace. I'm glad he was able to continue creating the world he loved right until the end.

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
Hawk Thanatos

Radical Dreamers

167582 Potch
43 Soldiers
1337 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's sad that he's died, though to be honest, I'm more concerned that his Wheel of Time story will go unfinished. Hopefully his family give permission for it to be completed.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I've been reading from official fan sites and other writers who knew and were close to Jordan the final book will be finished but it may be a couple years more down the line. Jordan's been heard telling people once he got really sick that the series will end with the final 12th book even if he passes away. If Frank Herbert and Tolkein can conitnue to have novels written of their own epic series decades after their death then I'm sure Jordan's Wheel of Time epic will live on.

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

David Gemmell died last year leaving his final book in his Troy trilogy unfinished, however with the notes and planning he had already done his wife was able to complete the book.

I haven't read any Robert Jorden, I might start the series when the final one has been released.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, I didn't know David Gemmell passed away. I really liked his fantasy books. Before George R.R. Martin's [i]Song of Fire and Ice[/i series fantasy was quite PG-13 in terms of portraying characters and their interaction with people of the opposite sex. Gemmell sure had no fear in writing things as realistically as possible.

Midnight

4252503 Potch
200 Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh wow, that's the first I've heard of this. The Eye of the World is one of the few pieces of fantasy fiction out there that I've read besides Tolkien, and while I didn't get in to it enough to finish The Great Hunt, I respected the guy as a very creative author. That's really sad to hear. Maybe I'll give the series another try in his honor.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You should give the other 10 books released so far a try. Just word of warning the ten other books total up to around 13-15000 pages of small-type. :)

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've only read the series off and on for awhile since I really dislike starting an unfinished series. Definitely sad news, but if it sparks other writers into finally finishing their own series *coughsmartincoughs* it might turn out to well not be a good thing. But something nice.

I'll probably pick up the rest of the series soon. Kinda sad series tend to become more popular after the writer dies huh?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
UCPesmerga

The Hidden Foxes

221997 Potch
26 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This was a series I had wanted to pick up a long time ago, but never had the chance due to the myriad of other books in my backlog.

How sad it is that his death finally brough to my attention that I've still yet to read his work. Chances are I'll pick the first few up in the near future, so I can no longer use the excuse that I don't own the books.

With any luck, his colleagues will pick up where he left off and finish the book worthy of his memory.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The last book Jordan had released for the series really closed off and ended a lot of on-going subplots. He really had things set-up to have a very complex and huge ending to the series. If he wasn't sick while writing and trying to finish up the last book I think it would've come out already. That being said whoever picks up the slack to finish the final book needs to just use the notes and try hard not to put in their own take on the whole Wheel of Time story.

As for the series' popularity, I would say that it's always been popular. From book 7 up to book 11 it's always come out in the top 10 of the NYTime bestseller fiction list. That's a major thing for a fantasy series not named Harry Potter. One thing about Jordan's series is that it has two of the coolest fantasy characters of recent memory in Lan Madragoran and Mat Cauthon.

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Dammit, I love Wheel of Time. Like you said, it's really terrible he didn't see it all finished... I hope someone finishes it in his honor, if not for the fans. He's an amazing writer, even if he did have so many subplots.
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sad to see that Jordan has passed away. I abandoned Wheel of Time a while back (after Book 10?) because it seemed to be going nowhere. However, once I'd heard that the 12th installment was to be the last, I had begun to work my way back through the series. I'm disappointed that I won't get that chance.

I may be alone in this opinion, but I'd prefer to see his work uncompleted. Generally, revisits by other authors go badly. I refer principally in this case to the Dune franchise which has been continued by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson in what I believe to be some of the worst science fiction crap ever printed. I think it's a tremendous disservice to Brian Herbert's memory and his universe to have it trod on by writers who are incapable of living up to his legacy.

I don't entertain any notions that there is anyone who can complete Jordan's book the way he would have done so. His work was immense in complexity, and I doubt that anyone else truly understood it but him. If the inevitable result of an attempt to complete his work, then, is something like the Dune books being published by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, I'd prefer to simply make up my own ending to Jordan's series.

Just my two cents.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wheel of Time. Is that the Clan of the Bear, Clan of the Wolf, books? I've never read them myself, but I have heard they are good.

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked it up. The covers, or atleast the cover style, look somewhat familiar, but I haven't read any of his books. I'm also sure now, having seen the cover art, that I've seen his name before.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Onimaru

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've avoided this series for years actually, I always knew it was out there but for some reason I tended to shy away from it. Maybe because it was such a large series I didn't think it could be very good. However, the strange thing about the timing of Mr. Jordans death is that I JUST started reading this series, honestly, I broke down last week and picked up the first book on Wednesday, as of today I'm about 3/4 done with "The Great Hunt." and I'm really enjoying the series thus far, it's a shame that he passed on before getting a chance to see his baby to completion, however like most musicians I do think that this series will go down in history probably due to his death near the end, and I really do hope it does! For a man to devote so much of his life to a single piece of work, he deserves a certain degree of reknown for his work. Rest in peace Mr. Jordan, the wheel weaves as the wheel wills.

I hate you Onimaru.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: