Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Good Characters in Suikoden II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Character Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackjack

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I change who I use every time I play through.

My most recent playthrough was a fairly 'traditional' party (Unlike my Krin/Sergei runthrough in Suikoden I :D )

Riou -- 'Cause...Yeah.
Luc -- Snarky, and excellent magic
Millie -- Good magic, good long range attack, just plain good.
Oulan -- Strong like bull. Dumb like Ox.
Wakaba -- Fast. Strong. Awesome.
Kinnison -- Long range attack and support magic.

I mostly pick the characters in my party based on design. I pretty much never use Pesmerga or George (Too bland) or Killey (Too bright). Which, I guess, makes me an outside. ;)

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wiseman

Army of the Six Wise Men

110280 Potch
250 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In one of my save files where Oulan is 53, and Georg is 58 she has 2 less ATK than Georg, with both their weapons at level 12. It doesn't matter what the max is, most players never max out their characters' stats. Oulan is better than Georg plain and simple, Georg can't withstand powerful magic attacks and if Oulan is beserk she can use her special rune an unlimited amount of time. As for the unlimited beserk thing that was my mistake. I was looking at the rune and it says "Unlimited Beserk" and it has been a while since I last played the game so I assumed that was what it meant.

Guardian of the Great Forest

Battle wounds and scars is how I show my pain
My palms covered in the blood of those I've slain
Yet I still keep comin back all the same...
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

3075764 Potch
275 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I guess that Oulan is better then Wakaba? I guess that I will try Millie out again to see if the level ups will do better then they did last time...filthy random level ups. I guess that my personal favorite character is Nina, just because she is a good mage, and has higher hp then most mages.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Blackjack wrote:

Riou -- 'Cause...Yeah.
Luc -- Snarky, and excellent magic
Millie -- Good magic, good long range attack, just plain good.
Oulan -- Strong like bull. Dumb like Ox.
Wakaba -- Fast. Strong. Awesome.
Kinnison -- Long range attack and support magic.

I don't think that I have posted in this thread before... but let me do it in that style...

Spoilers may be lurking in this post so be warned

Playable Characters

Riou - well, you can't change him so meh, be thankful he ain't a weakling or a useless character
Jowy - he's good while he's still on your side man... make the most of him and the buddy attack that you and he can perform to level up in the beginning...
Flik - You cannot forget this blue dude... he's like, one of the heroes of the game... cool, stronge in both magical attacks and physical (or at least average) and intelligent... i think...
Viktor - Oh my God!!! Viktor, like flik, is one of suikodens best and sub-main sort of character... his strength is a match and maybe even better than Pesmergas who is for some reason over rated because of it...
Pesmerga - You can't beat a super stronge character in complete black armour... well you could but you know...
Camus - Not a bad knight when you train him hard enough... his magic ain't that bad... and his physical abilities aren't near the worst... average maybe...
Miklotov - Like Camus, he ain't that bad... this Knight IS better than Camus in most ways though...
Humphrey - hey this dude is there to help ya in the beginning when doing that door trick... the matilda door trick thing... along with futch but this guy can take the enemies on by himself which makes him good in my book...
Luc - well... his magic abilities is top notch... and his physical abilities is no where near the bottom either... a good character... even though he's a spoilt brat lol

well there are too many in my head at the moment... including Valeria, Oulan, Mazus and a few others but I think that I have done enough for now...

Non Playable characters

Yuber -an awesome villain in each and every single way possible... this guy is one of those sephiroth like characters... black, mysterious and wants nothing more than chaos and destruction... a bit like me as well mwa ha haa...

Luca Blight - his strength is beyond human... even without a true rune he is incredibly strong... He wears complete white armour... with a bit of golden out lines and a blue cape...which looks awesome!!! and he resembles Bradon Heat from the anime GunGrave... COOL!!! another great villain that resembles sephiroth in some ways... but is a character of his own, in many other ways... lol

Solon Jhee - for his Kazuya mishima hair style lol... he even looks like kazuya in some ways, and I really hoped that he didn't get excecuted as well... :evil:

JNX out
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wiseman wrote:
In one of my save files where Oulan is 53, and Georg is 58 she has 2 less ATK than Georg, with both their weapons at level 12.

Well as you mentioned before, it also depends on your luck when you level up the characters. So in your case, you might get lucky with your Oulan and have her STR close to Georg's. And the level 12 weapon could be the reason as well because at that level, Oulan has 114 WPN while Georg has 97 WPN. But once you sharpen the weapons up to level 16, Georg would be the one way ahead because he'd have 160 WPN (+63 from now) while Oulan would be stuck at 135 WPN (+21 from now). So the 2 ATK gap would turn into a 44 ATK gap between the two.

Wiseman wrote:
It doesn't matter what the max is, most players never max out their characters' stats.

It matters because the higher your max stat is, the better your stat growth is. I'll show you the STR stat growth comparison between Georg (max 255) and Oulan (max 202).

Georg's stat growth would be:
Level 1-19 : 4-5 STR/level up
Level 20-59 : 2-3 STR/level up
Level 60-99 : 0-1 STR/level up

Oulan's stat growth would be:
Level 1-19 : 2-3 STR/level up
Level 20-59 : 1-2 STR/level up
Level 60-99 : 0-1 STR/level up

So even if we say that people would normally finish the game at level 60, Oulan at most would only have 202-39 = 163 STR, while Georg could have 255-39 = 216. Still the same 53 STR gap between the two. If you end up with Oulan having better ATK than Georg, then you were unlucky with Georg while being lucky with Oulan. But generally speaking, Georg would still be the one with higher ATK. Keep in mind I'm talking about stats here, not the actual damage dealt by Georg.

Wiseman wrote:
Oulan is better than Georg plain and simple, Georg can't withstand powerful magic attacks and if Oulan is beserk she can use her special rune an unlimited amount of time.

It's quite arguable on who is better between the two. Oulan has Angry Dragon Rune, and I think it's safe to say that it's best for her to have Fury Rune attached to allow her guaranteed unlimited use of the rune. With those two runes, Oulan would constantly dealing x3 damage (double from Angry Dragon, and extra x1.5 from Fury) to single enemy every turn. While she is strong, it leaves her being one dimensional. Angry Dragon every turn with static damage.

Using max stats (let's just ignore the equipments for now, because they cancel each other anyway because both can equip same things) as example, Oulan would deal:
202 + 135 = 337 ATK
337 * 3 = ~1,000 damage.

Georg on the other hand, has higher base ATK stat (as I've proven above with the STR and WPN stats). With Double Beat Rune, he'd attack at least twice every turn. So using max stats as example again, Georg would be dealing:
255 + 160 = 415 ATK
415 * 2 = 830 damage.

Now at a glance, 830 is less than 1,000 damage. That's true, but Georg uses normal attack instead of command rune. By using normal attack, it would leave him open with possible extra attack (which is supported by his high SPD stats) and critical attack (decent LUCK and high TECH stats). So if he got lucky, we'd be looking at:
415 * 3 = 1245 damage (if he got 1 extra hit)
415 * 4 = 1660 damage (if he got 2 extra hits)
415 + (415 * 3) = 1660 damage (if he got critical attack on one of his two attacks)
(415 * 3) + (415 * 3) = 2490 damage (if he got critical attack on both of his two attacks)
and so on ... depending on him being lucky or not. Not to mention the berserk status if Riou uses Battle Oath during a boss fight.

So in conclusion, Georg and Oulan could be better than each other depending on your style of play. Oulan offers constant damage (if she doesn't miss the Angry Dragon Rune attack) while Georg offers possibility of higher damage.

Georg's MDEF is a worry for me too, but if I'm not mistaken, there are armors that would half certain magic attack that would help solve his MDEF problems. I, myself, prefer to ignore it because he has big enough HP to survive before being healed anyway.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Pesmerga wrote:
Actually Georg's ATK would most likely be higher than Oulan because she maxes at 202 STR, while both Georg and Pesmerga could max at 255. Oulan's WPN would max at 135, while both Georg and Pesmerga's would max at 160. So we're looking at 78 ATK difference from the raw stats. The advantage for Oulan is that she has free-equipments while Pesmerga has many locked equipments. But even so, I doubt that she'd be able to catch up to the 78 ATK difference on Pesmerga, and especially not on Georg (who also has many free equipments).

While Oulan has one free rune slot indeed, the Angry Dragon Rune doesn't have anything to do with permanent berserk status effect at all.

You say that Oulan -potentially- has less standard attack power than either Georg or Pesmerga, BUT what you fail to mention is if she has a fury rune on ( or even if they all do ), she has GUARANTEED 2x ( or 3x i forget what it was ) damage per round. At any rate, neither Georg or Pes have this potential and therefore they are lesser damage dealers.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Falcon Critical, did you even read my post above yours? I did the calculation on how Georg could deal more damage than Oulan. And I clearly stated that Oulan would deal constant damage with Angry Dragon Rune when she's berserk.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> Character Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: