Suikoden United and Illusional Keystone Original Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Opinions on College
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Opinions on College Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What is your opinions on colledge. Do you think it is worth the money or time or effort. In my words it's a plan without it your options are limited but whats everybody's take on it.
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alright, well first off, I changed the title of this thread, because I think it holds merit, but the original title wasn't very "attention-grabbing."

Personally, I have a very negative view on college, but I will say this much. Anyone in the post-industrial world should REALLY do everything they can to get a bachelors degree, because without it, (as slayerprince already noted), your options are severely curtailed.

However, I also think that college is mostly just more high school. Sure, a lot of your studies are more in depth, but (for the most part) I just feel like I'm in five more years of high school, and quite frankly I'm fed up with it. I also feel as if this is a status thing that society has imposed upon us. Getting a "four-year" degree is like your ticket into the rich man's club. It's big businesses way of saying, "Hey! You payed for the classes it took to get that degree, so we'll let you get your foot in the door!"

I honestly do not feel as if college has helped me to a better job at work, nor do I think my degree in management will really help me all that much to be a better manager of people. Sure, some of the classes I take have relevance in the workplace, but what it all comes down to is that NOTHING can replace on-the-job experience. Seriously, it's NOT easy to get a job, JUST because you have a degree. Most places require you to have some experience, as well. Well, that's fine and dandy, but even if you HAVE managed people, they THEN won't hire you unless you have that stupid degree, even if you would make a better manager than that person who has a degree.

That's just BS, and I think it's modern society's way of having a class system. You're suddenly "worth more," if you have that degree that (GUESS WHAT) costs you a crapload of money to get.

Feel free to disagree, as it's just my opinion here, nothing against people who get degrees and that, because it's really common sense to better yourself. I just don't think it should be required, when you could learn a lot more with on-the-job training and experience.

Oh yeah, isn't it ALSO funny that tuition keeps going up every year? Go figure... :roll:

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

College...is alright for me, but things aren't going too well at the moment... :(

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

College was great for me, but if you look at college mainly as a stepping-stone for getting a better job, you'll be disappointed. College is a place to learn things, and if you love to learn stuff, it'd be a wonderland. I pretty much went nutz in terms of learning things while I was in college. I made friends with many professors because I enjoyed talking with them about various topics, etc.

I guess it depends on the collage though. I strongly favor a liberal arts curriculum, and think vocational programs make learning decidedly un-fun.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I can see why one would relate high school and college to one another but I have to disagree. College undoubtedly provides you with more freedom and not only is it an insitute for higher learning it also helps students become immersed into a different environment of mature peers. I would like to think that this will help them to become more well-rounded people and not only learn the subject their studying but also to learn how to be a contributing member of society.

I know that it does influence social dirisions as to those how have degrees and those how don't but also one must realize that certain occupations require you to have a degree. My older sister is a elementary education teacher right now and she hardly could pay the bills before she got a degree ans was certified. I'm very dissatisfied at the rate of tuition increases in recent years as Sai brought up. The tuition between my sister and I will be drastically different I imagine.

Im a tenth grader this year and I have been raised through my school career for nothing but getting into a college. They don't teach you occupational classes and have generic curiculums from preK to 12th grade. You have to have division of labor now days just to keep up with competitors in our market economy. To become specialized you have to focus in on a particular subject which really isnt an option until you get to college. So if you want to be able to provide for yourself and possibly a family(God willing) you have to go to college and you have to be able to do your job as well or better than everyone else.

No ones mentioned the whole bond before you meet someone factor that colleges have. If you and someone your trying to speak to(like an employer) went to the same college or frat(or soroity) than automatically you have something in common and they feel used to you so you chances of getting the job are significantly higher. O well, just thoughts.

Last edited by Acheron on Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I find that college itself isn't worth the massive amount of money I'm putting in, but it is definitely worth the time and effort for me. I'm currently enrolled in physics (which I really like) but I'm not just taking physics and math because that'd be boring. I also get research credit for working in a lab on campus so I get some experience before I get my degree. Several of my buddies came to my college, too. However, I have made a couple of good friends while living on campus and had some coincidental meetins occur. For example, we knew there was this guy on our floor, but we didn't know until later that he actually was the nephew of one of high school teachers until we starting talking with him. Small world, you know (especially considering he lived in Japan on a military base and came to Montana for college). College isn't always about classes.

However, I do have a couple of friends who should have never come to college. One guy actually told us that he came here because "that's what you do after high school." For me, getting a job in physics is impossible without a degree. He, on the other hand, is just taking random, "easy" classes for no reason whatsoever. So it's obviously not for everyone.

My perception of learning has drastically changed while going to college. In high school, it was: show up to class, teacher teaches you everything, go home and do homework, rinse, lather, repeat. But here, I've found that I learn some things more easily on my own rather than going to lectures. Also, professors/instructors are a resource to be utilized while in college and most are happy to do talk with you about whatever. That wasn't the case in my high school anyway. I find that I'm learning how to learn and intelligently discuss along with learning about various math tricks and physics laws. In college, you're responsible for your own education and how you go about it determines your attitude toward college, in my opinion.

About tuition increasing... :evil: I'm not rich to begin with darn it!

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll tell you in a 28 days since that'll be my first day. Right now basically I hate it because of all the annoying things you have to do to get into it. I've spent alot of time getting frustrated over forms that don't make any sense and talking to people who have no clue.

And for all you American's out there, did you know if the military cut one jet, one tank and one warship out of their budget a year they could send every person in the country to a 4 year college.

@ Sai: From what my friends have told me it's only the Universities and other standard colleges that seem like more highschool. But my friends who are going to the college I'm going too which is a specialized school say it's alot better because all the courses focus on and around that subject. (Which happens to be cooking for me.)
So all the math and english and history courses focus around food instead of the normal things that are taught.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sybillious

Ebony Moon Knights

981865 Potch
59 Soldiers
60 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

college is a good thing, provided you know what you're after; a good deal of those attending right after high school don't take it seriously, but treat it as an extentsion of high school-same childish behavior, choosing to socialize in class, rather than actually learn what they're in class for. it makes it difficult for those, like myself, who are taking it seriously-are actually there to learn.

if your mindset is right *meaning you're attending to learn, not socialize* then your chances of succeeding are great. i've lost track of how many 'classmates' have failed out due to inability to treat their classes with the right frame of mind. they can't make the connection, so they blame the instructor/school for their failures.

socializing is done outside the classroom, not in it; doing so makes it nearly impossible to learn, since they focus on what they and their friends are saying, rather than the instructor.

blaming the school itself is faulty logic; it's the student that's resposible for attending, taking notes, listening to the instructor, completing assignments and taking tests-saying that it's an extension of high school because of personal difficulties is also faulty. your mindset and personal actions have to change, not the cirriculum or staff; people these days can't seem to figure out what's appropriate behavior in a situation-this is the root of their problem, not the school or anything else.

it's the typical attitude of 'i'm not responsible for my actions' that have created so many problems; rather than blame others, look to your own actions first.

gotta gotta get a...SPICE WEASEL!

to paraphrase my fellow mod, parallax:
I hate my job with the passionately burning intensity of a thousand fiery suns.
Daniel Blackhand

siswai'aman Brotherhood of Pain

330059 Potch
0 Soldiers
5731866 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think that college should be taken for what it is, and that is a means of furthering your intellect. A college degree does not guarantee you a job, and there are a lot of people out there with college degrees and eight years of college that either have no job or work at minimum wage jobs.

As long as you go in with a plan to learn specific things and do not expect to be employed just because of it than you will not be disappointed when you do not land a job right away.

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

College has been established as a gateway to the outside world. You don't need college by any means, but it is a great place to further your education and make life-long friends. Personally, my experience in college would be classified as ok. There's plenty of freedom and options that you can pursue. But, as for college and how it pertains to your career, it's not necessary. A college degree just shows an employer that you have the ability to learn.

The actual job experience is what makes you a more valuable employee. Jobs hire people based on experience mostly and not the degree. Also, I would like to go on record saying that each individual should be allowed an opportunity for higher education. They try to make us believe that college will distinguish a person, but it is the PERSON that does the distinguishing. College should be an option for everyone who wants to do go, but with these agregious prices in which they force students to pay and the incredibly low possibility of getting a full scholarship forces individuals to pursue other options.

Since they believe that a degree is essential to getting a good job, or at least that's what they lead young people to believe, then they should allow all people the option to attend a university. They fund public schools in America so they should use our hard earned money to support higher education. But, unfortunately sports is given more attention then they furthering of our youths education here in America. Alas I digress. College is a wonderful experience, but it is not the end all. You get out of it what you're willing to put into it.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Timbo

The Wandering Prophets

410837 Potch
300 Soldiers
835 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
College was great for me, but if you look at college mainly as a stepping-stone for getting a better job, you'll be disappointed. College is a place to learn things, and if you love to learn stuff, it'd be a wonderland. I pretty much went nutz in terms of learning things while I was in college. I made friends with many professors because I enjoyed talking with them about various topics, etc.

I guess it depends on the collage though. I strongly favor a liberal arts curriculum, and think vocational programs make learning decidedly un-fun.

I agree with SARSadmin alot here, college is great if you have a pssion for learning. It can be bliss with the right teachers, but hell if you have others I had a nice mixture of both. I remeber one English teacher giving me a bad grade on a paper because I thought the author I read I was full of crap. The author said something along the lines of "With out literature, you can't make good points." Points being valid arguments. I completely disagreed because there are cultures that ahve no writing and can make valid points. She responded with "Yes, but you forgot about oral literature", which sounded nice, but oral literature is a contradiction of terms. Oral means spoken, literature refers directly to something written, you can't ahve both. Her sentence could make sense if literature reffered just to story telling (which I think she was trying to say) but that is not the definition of literature. Had the original author said storytelling, I would have agreed, but the author didn't say that, they said literature. Which told me that an English teacher didn't know what literature is and is teaching me; the class was dropped the next day.

Ironically, it was my love of learning that made me realize that a love of learning wasn't good for what I was trying to do. I took a lot of Philosophy classes and the section I specialized in was ethics. Ironically, the more classes on Ethics I took, the more I thought it was unethical. I saw it forming more barriers then it tore down and endorsing intelligence over human life.

I also think that if you go to college to just learn, you can do that in your own time for much cheaper. With the internet, you can get any book you'll ever want to read and you can find people to discuss it with and there are help topics on everything. I've been learning Jung, Frued and Lacan lately in my free time jsut by browsins. I won''t get a degree ofr it, but I will undertand it myself adn that's all I would need.

College is great if you just enjoy it. You get near free food, you're constantly around attractive member of both sexes and there's enough people around to find some one that you'll like. I think people should just go to college for the college experience, because it is some of the best times you'll ever have.

Last edited by Timbo on Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll be honest: I hated school up until college. My classes were always filled with stupid people who never payed attention to things, and it seemed like for half a semester we'd go over a very simple concept. I would always get the teachers who knew next to nothing about the subject. Everyone was interested in booze, sex, drugs, and sports to the exclusion of anything else. I didn't know anyone. People made fun on me because I never fit in. I was lonely. I was miserable. I hated it.

But then I got to college. The stupid people who cared more about their classmates noctural activities than the subject either withdrew or were dropped from the classes, and their number got thinner and thinner as time went on. People didn't complain about the class being "stupid" but honestly wanted to participate in it. My teachers usually knew what they were talking about. And while people were interested in booze, drugs, sex, and sports, they didn't seem as obsessive about it as they had in high school. I met people who were interested in the same things I was, and nobody thought it strange for me to be interested in them. I didn't have to pretend I didn't live where I did or that I didn't drive what I did or that I read books frequently or that I enjoyed listening to happy pop music often. People just accepted it. And nobody cared that OMGILISTENTOJIMIHENDRIX or OMGIPLAYSOULCALIBUR or OMGIWATCHFUTURAMA. I love college. This is the only time in my entire life where I feel very happy with school.

Of course, there's a down side as well...It costs so damn much. I recogmend that anyone interested in going to college with limited funds goes to a community college for some of their more basic coursesses. Why? Because they are so much cheaper, and your scholarships/tuition will go so much farther, and unless your parents are really rich, it's going to hurt you. You will learn to live on the cheap in college, which may be a more valuable skill than anything your'e studying.

Timbo, have you heard of the site RateMyProfessors.Com? It's a (US-only, I think) site that has people rank teachers. Some of the comments are worthless and stupid (ex: someone justifying rating a teacher lowest on every possible term might be "ugly"), but a lot of them are very helpful in determining some information about the teacher. The good (at my school at least) outweighs the bad. It's saved me from a couple of doozies of teachers. (And for those interested, there is a Kindergarten-12th grade version as well.) Very good resource.

As far as the mindset, I think if you're going in to get a job, you're going to be frustrated. I'd recogmend going to a trade school or a specialized college over a general uni if you're of that mindset; your curriculum will be slanted more towards whatever you're going into and a lot of them have apprenticeships/deals where you can be placed into a company almost directly right after college. And everyone you meet will at least be training to be xyz with you. Of course, such colleges are usually private and thus usually expensive...But with enough special aid...:D

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

College could be very useful, but could also be a total waste of money and time. It depends on you, yourself. To make college be useful, you need to:
1. Do the degree/program/subjects that you actually like (and want a carreer in the future). So if you want to be an actor, take art/acting programs. If you want to be a computer programmer, take computer science, etc.
2. Go to a good college instead of dodgy ones. Good quality doesn't always have to be expensive. So research the college first, and know the good and bad of each one before you decide which one to go to.
3. Actually pay attention during the classes. There is no point in taking the subjects you like, and having great lecturers in a very supporting college environment if you don't pay attention to what you study.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Noot

Faithers of the Defend

186551 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a junior at UNLV, and quite frankly I'm pretty disilluisioned about the whole college thing. It's meaningless. It's high school part 2. College teaches you two things once you have attended enough classes: 1) you learn how to deal with tons of un-wanted and un-deserved stress and 2) everything you learned in the first 17 years of your life is garbage. Thanks college.

I'm just so unattached from the learning experience. I used to be like a sponge until my senior year of high school. My 12th grade year produced some bad habits in me such as apathy and procrastination. I usually never study for tests, I very seldom purchase the textbooks assigned for my classes (unless I know I'll be answering questions out of them for a grade, the book store can kiss my Irish patootie). I go to class in a half-asleep state, barely paying attention, rarely speaking up, just wanting the 75 minutes to be done with so I can move on to the next class.

(Would you believe that I've been on the Dean's List twice though? ;))

I think I'm done with college, but I've already gotten past the half-way point I might as well finish. It's not like I have any other plans. I graduate in 3 semesters (Fall of 2006 hopefully) then I can bid farewell to the lameness that is college. Then I can start selling my body for money to feed my Taco Bell habit. What? We gotta have some goals right?

It's hard to bargle naudle zauss with all these marbles in my mouth.
Child of The Sea God

188289 Potch
2671 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sai Fujiwara wrote:
Alright, well first off, I changed the title of this thread, because I think it holds merit, but the original title wasn't very "attention-grabbing."

Personally, I have a very negative view on college, but I will say this much. Anyone in the post-industrial world should REALLY do everything they can to get a bachelors degree, because without it, (as slayerprince already noted), your options are severely curtailed.

However, I also think that college is mostly just more high school. Sure, a lot of your studies are more in depth, but (for the most part) I just feel like I'm in five more years of high school, and quite frankly I'm fed up with it. I also feel as if this is a status thing that society has imposed upon us. Getting a "four-year" degree is like your ticket into the rich man's club. It's big businesses way of saying, "Hey! You payed for the classes it took to get that degree, so we'll let you get your foot in the door!"

I honestly do not feel as if college has helped me to a better job at work, nor do I think my degree in management will really help me all that much to be a better manager of people. Sure, some of the classes I take have relevance in the workplace, but what it all comes down to is that NOTHING can replace on-the-job experience. Seriously, it's NOT easy to get a job, JUST because you have a degree. Most places require you to have some experience, as well. Well, that's fine and dandy, but even if you HAVE managed people, they THEN won't hire you unless you have that stupid degree, even if you would make a better manager than that person who has a degree.

That's just BS, and I think it's modern society's way of having a class system. You're suddenly "worth more," if you have that degree that (GUESS WHAT) costs you a crapload of money to get.

Feel free to disagree, as it's just my opinion here, nothing against people who get degrees and that, because it's really common sense to better yourself. I just don't think it should be required, when you could learn a lot more with on-the-job training and experience.

Oh yeah, isn't it ALSO funny that tuition keeps going up every year? Go figure... :roll:

Probably one of the realest things i've ever heard about college. None of that college is required to successful in life bs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: