Suikoden Unique and Inspirational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Star Ocean pre- and sequels
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wonder if Star Ocean 3's big twist will remain canon. I'd rather it didn't, but...
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Technically, the case could be made that that particular plot twist was at least nullified.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
eXistence of Fly

Pointy Sticks & Ponies!

1151694 Potch
7700 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:

Quote:
* This game will live up to its title more than past games in the series by allowing the player to pilot a spaceship and travel to different worlds.

How does that live up to its title when NONE of the three before it had a ship you could control and fly through planets? I rather liked the getting stranded on a backwater planet storylines. It made non-gun weapons plausible. How realistic in the world of space travel and future is it for people to use swords and brass knuckles instead of phasers and ray guns? I dunno, I rather liked the old format. But I am open to changes as long as they don't change the feelings too much. If we can go back to the planets of Star Ocean 1, 2 and 3 I suppose it would be cool. I can't remember how much further from 1 and 2 the third one was, But I'd like to be able to go see the Kenni family again. Even if Ronixis is old.

How does it not live up to it's name? Oceans are vast bodies bodies of water and in regards to Star Ocean at best we've only seen a fraction of the universe that's been hinted and that's only through cutscenes. SO in the direct namesake having playable items in space (such as starship battles) is more attuned to the namesake than simply placing 2 or so worlds in each game and saying (such and such is part of a giant federation of 40 billion planets... but they fucked up and can only field 1 ship... but they're awesome I swear!)

5907 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Firefly wrote:
I'm sorry, but I hate the new artwork. They make Rena look far too young.

I am looking forward to SO1 though. I can't wait, even if the artwork looks like that. It looks like the art from the skits in the Tales series, and some of the art in Tales of the World: RM.

Glad I'm not the only one who hates the new art. Rena's supposed to look like a fighter, not some moe little anime girl. Claude doesn't look too different, but I don't his new design either. Really, what was wrong with keeping the old art, like they did with Valkyrie Profile?

(Wow, I haven't posted here in a long time o_o;)

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man it's very thrilling that SQEENIW won't announce the platform for SO4. I really predict the PS3 but would still be awesome if it would be (also) released for Xbox360.
ThricebornPhoenix

Phoenix Legion

102576 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, they really are bad at naming characters... hopefully the gameplay will continue to balance it out. They're not so bad with weapon names, though. The Eternal Sphere was awesome.

I'm definitely interested in a remake of SO2, if they fix the bugs. Getting through the Cave of Trials is a pain when the game randomly freezes on you. I'm also curious about the original game.

eXistence of Fly wrote:
Oceans are vast bodies bodies of water and in regards to Star Ocean at best we've only seen a fraction of the universe that's been hinted and that's only through cutscenes.

Actually, Star Ocean 3's encyclopedia contained vast amounts of information about the Star Ocean universe. I'm glad to hear that we'll finally get to do some real space travel - the whole 'stranded on a low-tech planet' thing was fine in SO2, tolerable the first time in SO3, and then mildly annoying the second time. I don't think I could take it if SO4 did the same thing.

The Chizen Star wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one who hates the new art. Rena's supposed to look like a fighter, not some moe little anime girl. Claude doesn't look too different, but I don't his new design either.

I didn't think that either of them looked very different. Also, Rena never looked like a fighter to me.
"[...] even a seemingly purposeless miracle is an inexhaustible source of hope, because it proves to us that since we do not understand everything, our defeats—so much more numerous than our few and empty victories—may be equally specious."
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm thrilled, Star ocean the first departure is going to released soon in Japan. I hope it get's at least a USA release.
Crono

Something Wicked

162570 Potch
200 Soldiers
40 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anyone know if these prequels have been scheduled for an American release yet?
We have an urge to kill
And our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
We'll fight 'till the end, and send our enemies straight to hell!"
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know why they're calling SO1 a "prequel". Its the original Star Ocean.

Anyhow, no word yet if they're sending it over here. Both First Departure and Second Evolution haven't been ported to the US. Its probably not going to be either, much like the Suikoden I and II on PSP.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't know anymore.

Star Ocean 4's title will be The Last Hope(which is kinda strange considering it takes place before the first installment...). It has been confirmed for a 360 release, but I dunno if it'll get a PS3 release too? Everyone in the 360 camp is gloating it and everyone in the PS3 camp is shedding a billion tears. And the first thing I read in this thread was that SO4 would be one platform only, though that info is kinda old... still. And a lot of info was revealed in a Japanese Sony Playstation magazine so... meh.

Anyhueys, 2009 release. There are screens but nothing much, other than the main character being a Claude/Fayt hybrid.

What I do know though, is that if it's also released on the PS3, Microsoft is probably gonna buy the rights to it in English and we won't get an English PS3 SO4.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That's pretty fucking sweet. I would have never thought that Star Ocean would become an exclusive 360 RPG (and I still doubt it will be exclusive to the 360), but it's really sweet that the 360 is getting all these big name JRPGs. I'm not regretting my purchase one bit. :D

It would strike me as incredibly odd if the game didn't eventually get a PS3 release, but you may be right about Microsoft and the English version-- who knows.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's weird how the 360 has so far been turning out more rpgs, both Japanese and Western than the PS3. Outside of FFXIII and White Knight I haven't heard much else. I, too, was surprised that Star Ocean 4 was announced for the 360. I would've thought Sony or Namco had announced it earlier as coming to the PS3-only.

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I heard about a Dark Cloud 3 for PS3, but that was a while ago... it might be hush hush or not true.

Either way, Dark Cloud = win.

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: