Suikoden Unique and Illusional Kraalesque Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Star Ocean pre- and sequels
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:03 am    Post subject: Star Ocean pre- and sequels Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sqeenix is working on remakes of Star Ocean 1 and 2 as on a new installement Star Ocean 4.

here are some news from rpgamer.com referring to STar Ocean 4:

Quote:
* It has been announced that SO4 will be released for only one platform, but exactly which one remains unknown.
* This game will live up to its title more than past games in the series by allowing the player to pilot a spaceship and travel to different worlds.
* The story is finished and will have a slightly different setting than Star Ocean 3 but it will not be so different that characters from past games will not be able to return.
* There will be more than just a few planets in the galaxy this time around.
* The heroine's name will be Reimi and the hero's name will be Edge Maverick.
* You will be able to have five members in your party (including you, the player) and the battle system will not be the same as the one featured in SO3.
* Private Actions will be back.

As for Star Ocean 1 and 2:

SO1 will feature the same battle system as SO2 and both games will feature new artworks, full voiceover and new characters!

Man I'm excited! These games have to see atleast the north shore! I never played SO1 since it got never released in USA or EU and SO2 is one of my favourite games! Thinking of all the improvements AND new characters I can't wait.

EDIT: Please use quote tags when copying information
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well well well, This is certainly interesting. I may be looking forward to the remakes than the actual new game. I've played both Star Ocean and Star Ocean: The Second Story but they weren't the greatest copies of the world. My Star Ocean was a translated ROM, which was only 90% done, so I missed out on alot of stuff, which kind of ticked me off. And the second one tended to be quite glitchy on me, and never really worked right, so I only got to play through it once before I got really frustrated and put it away for good. I do wonder who the new characters will be though. Some of the characters already were alittle dodgy story line wise, so adding even more in, might over do it.

As for the new one, I hope they focus on the story line on this one. The thirds was good, but it could have been better, though I admit I did love the characters on it. Cliff was hilarious through out most of the game. The combat system, I think didn't allow for enough control, and precise movement, so I hope that's fixed as well. Though over all, I have to say these games here might decide whether or not I break down and buy a PS3 or Wii.

Last edited by Milan Fiori on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man, the Star Ocean series really has a penchant for ridiculous hero names, doesn't it? As if Fayt Linegod wasn't silly enough, watch out! Here comes EDGE MAVERICK~! I'm suddenly reminded of a certain MST3k routine...

Everything else sounds great, though, especially the greater emphasis on exploration. I'm not expecting another Mass Effect or anything, but it'll be nice to not be stranded on another pre-industrial backwater planet again. I also have to wonder if they'll tone down the Star Trek references this time; Star Ocean 3 was playing chicken with Paramount on several occasions.

My only real complaint would be the target platform for the two remakes. Why PSP?
fuji

9643133 Potch
16500 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Star Ocean pre- and sequels Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sialeeds wrote:
hero's name will be Edge Maverick.

Oooh, he sounds like a rebellious guy living on the edge!! Yay for corny names!!

After what they did to me in SO3 I want to break someone's head. Remaking SO2 is a good step in repairing the psychological and emotional damage it did to me. We'll see about this SO4...

... though I have to admit, if it's on the Wii and I get the usual kick-ass Tri-ace battle system with the Wii nunchuck thing... well... I'd have to buy a Wii I guess. I already own the PS3... no games out (except madden); but it sure looks sexy with it's chrome trim

___ "That's not much"

"It's enough"
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey, Edge Maverick is one of those extra manly names! Right up there with Cliff Fittir and Jack Burton! And we can't forget our own Thor McOdin!

Anyways, was the PSP confirmed for the remakes? If so, it makes me think the sequel will also be a sony product.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have enjoyed the Star Ocean series to date so i will look forward to this one! :)
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Any chance of them appearing on the 360?
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While it's not set in stone it looks like Square-Enix's Star Ocean 4 will be a PS3-exclusive. Not surprising since the title has been a Playstation mainstay since the first Sony console.

Star Ocean 4 details

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
Hey, Edge Maverick is one of those extra manly names! Right up there with Cliff Fittir and Jack Burton! And we can't forget our own Thor McOdin!

Brock Samson.

I was a HUGE fan of Star Ocean. I played Star Ocean 2 on PS1 and it was probably one of the best games for the system. It spaned 2 discs and with all the awesome quests, Private Actions and item customization, it certainly provided hours upon hours of gameplay. I was thoroughly impressed with the game. So impressed that I broke my rule of never downloading a game I never owned in CD/Cartridge form and got the ROM of Star Ocean 1. Like Milan, my fan translated edition of Star Ocean 1 was glitchy and only 90% done or so, and that made some parts iffy, however for the most part, the game was phenominal. I had a hard time picturing it on the SNES, with all the sounds, graphics and lengtyh of the game. I beleive it was the only game for the SNES to use 100% of the cartridge's capability. Ronixis and Tinek were sweet characters in that game, if you ever buy the PSP edition, please for the love of god use Ronixis and Tinek a lot. Joshua isn;t too bad either.

I loves Star Ocean 1 so much I made the original Wikipedia entry on it. Since then its been abridged more by people with FAR more time than I, but I like to lay claim on being the first in that, hehe.

Star Ocean 3 disappointed me somewhat. It was fun and a good game, but it did not leave me with the feeling that the first two did. Cliff was the only character I really liked. Half of that was because the voice acting for him was smexy.

Quote:
* This game will live up to its title more than past games in the series by allowing the player to pilot a spaceship and travel to different worlds.

How does that live up to its title when NONE of the three before it had a ship you could control and fly through planets? I rather liked the getting stranded on a backwater planet storylines. It made non-gun weapons plausible. How realistic in the world of space travel and future is it for people to use swords and brass knuckles instead of phasers and ray guns? I dunno, I rather liked the old format. But I am open to changes as long as they don't change the feelings too much. If we can go back to the planets of Star Ocean 1, 2 and 3 I suppose it would be cool. I can't remember how much further from 1 and 2 the third one was, But I'd like to be able to go see the Kenni family again. Even if Ronixis is old.

If its on the PS3 only, I'll weep because unless they go down in price and more useful games come out for the PS3, I'm not gonna be buying it. I really hope for a Wii release because the Wii's innovative controls might be something this game can exploit. I've got no qualms with the remakes on PSP, as thats all the PSP seems to be good at getting. Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, Tales of Eternia etc. etc. Star Ocean 1 and 2 will only bolster that stereotype.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Sialeeds

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Delsaber wrote:

My only real complaint would be the target platform for the two remakes. Why PSP?

What else would you expect? The DS is out of question and a Star Ocean remake on next gen platforms in 2D would't convince. The PSP is perfectly fit for that. Suikoden 1+2 looked wonderful on PSP and despite of some bugs, the game was an awesome port along with the improved controls.
Delsaber

New Gaien Wildcards

132495 Potch
1660 Soldiers
2625 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sure, but why not do a PS2 release instead? The userbase is far greater, it's still alive and kicking until Sony says otherwise, and there's nothing the PSP can do which the PS2 can't. In addition to that, the Star Ocean games are pretty lengthy, involved affairs, which to me would be better suited to a console than a portable.

'course, this all goes for Suikoden I+II as well. I'm sure SO1+2 stands a better chance of a North American release, but I'm still hesitant to burn another $300 hole in my wallet to play a bunch of games which in my mind would be better suited for a full-fledged console.
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While I do agree that the PS2 should be the logical release platform for Star Ocean 4 it would be a small admission to a mistake or even a failure of the PS3 as a viable nextgen system if important franchise titles don't even come out for it. The PS2 is being milked for all its worth because Sony knows people will continue to buy games still coming out for it. The other side of that thinking though gives people who would think of buying a PS3 continue to support the PS2 instead.

While people made fun of Microsoft for killing the Xbox in terms of support only a few months after the release of the 360 it did make it easy for Xbox owners to move to the 360 since that was the console being supported. Sony's trying to push the PS3 while still saying the PS2 is still a system people should support. I'm guessing people at the moment are more in the PS2 camp of things than the PS3.

Jowston loyalists

339093 Potch
55 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm hoping for a release on 360 but it definitely will be on PS3 I think.

Star Ocean first departure:

Star Ocean second evolution:

Firefly

Wednesday's Army

20952 Potch
328 Soldiers
225 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm sorry, but I hate the new artwork. They make Rena look far too young.

I am looking forward to SO1 though. I can't wait, even if the artwork looks like that. It looks like the art from the skits in the Tales series, and some of the art in Tales of the World: RM.

Crimson Crusaders

260069 Potch
250 Soldiers
25 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hurray, finally some news on one of my favorite series! I can't wait for Star Ocean IV..!

Return that soul to God.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: