Suikoden United and Inspirational Kosher Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

ASU > Michigan; Greatest Upset in College Football History?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Was this the greatest upset in college football history to date?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: ASU > Michigan; Greatest Upset in College Football Histor Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ASU triumphed over number 5 in the nation Michigan with a blocked fieldgoal in the final 30 seconds of the game, bringing them an amazing 34-32 victory. Defying all the odds that day, Appalachain, a team in a lower division who would normally never play a big time team like Michigan, came out on top. Announcers on 5 television networks all used the same adjective: "unbelievable". Many are calling this game the greatest upset in college football history but what do you think? Is this the biggest upset? I think so but if you disagree explain yourself and cite the game you think trumps it.

Do you like upsets in general?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tullaryx

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I would say that it does count as the greatest upset in college football history. This is a Division-2A team beating a Division-1A team. There's no way even an unprepared Michigan team should've lost to Appalachia State. While the Mountaineers of ASU did have some special talent on both sides of the ball, Michigan was a team full of talent. They were bigger and stronger, though ASU seemed to have been faster and grittier that day.

I don't like upsets much since it upsets the nature of things in sports. But then I would make an exception to my home and favorite teams upsetting major favorite opponents. That's just the homer in me.

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
I would say that it does count as the greatest upset in college football history. This is a Division-2A team beating a Division-1A team.

Actually, Tull-san, Appalachian State is a formerly Division 1-AA [now named something else] team that has won the 1-AA Championship two years running. Honestly, they were no team to sneeze at, but considering that Michigan paid them $400K to show up and whoop them, I think Michigan sneezed at the wrong time. Lloyd Carr has a history of underpreparing his teams [see: all his losses against Ohio State] so it's a wonder he's not been run out of Ann Arbor just yet.

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In my opinion, when it comes to college sports, upsets are going to happen. Big or small-- they're going to happen. The players on these teams are still kids, who have on games, and off games. I didn't see the game-- but I assume the kids at ASU had quite an on game going for them.

But anyways-- in my opinion, we shouldn't make too big a deal out of it. If they were professionals who were payed for their skill then I'd have to say it's quite a big deal-- but who knows what may have been going on in the personal lives of the Michigan players that may have affected their game... who knows.

I do have to say Michigan losing to a pretty much unknown team is quite a shock, though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sai Fujiwara

Executors of Divine Providence

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As a die-hard Michigan fan, I was shocked and appalled at the result of this game. My initial reaction was frustration, but then I talked online with Sierra about it and his opinion honestly changed the way I looked at it completely. He said it was hilarious to him that Michigan had lost that game. His reaction surprised the hell out of me since he's an Ann Arbor native, and I always assumed he was a pretty big Michigan football fan. However, in retrospect he's correct. It's a great thing for the Michigan football program.

Sierra Mikain wrote:
It's hilarious. They (Michigan) aren't going to go undefeated the whole year, so it's better that they lose to the biggest joke on the schedule than to Ohio State every year.

Why would a Michigan fan say this? Simple. To blow the cover on what a pitiful, sorry-ass, waste-of-money, bullshit coaching staff that the Michigan Football team has. Every fucking year Lloyd Carr fucks up a game he shouldn't. Losing to stupid ass teams like Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, over-rated Notre Dame, and naturally every damn year to the fuck-ass-shit-ass... FUCKING Buckeyes. (Yes, I fucking hate Ohio State.) There is no excuse that something like this should EVER HAPPEN. NO WAY. That Michigan team has so much more talent that it isn't even funny. It's not to say that Appalachian State is a joke, because they have the longest winning streak in college football right now. They're the best when it comes to Division-1AA. And it probably has NOTHING to do with talent, and everything to do with preparedness, heart, determination, and guts. I respect them for what they did, and if all goes well, I should be eternally grateful for this loss.

This is what should've happened. If this Michigan Athletic Department had any balls, Carr should've been fired this afternoon. Naturally they don't, so that didn't happen. I sincerely hope that Michigan blows their games against Notre Dame, Michigan State, AND MOST DEFINITELY to Ohio State. The last fucking thing I want some piece of shit fan that doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground is to tell me, "Hey man, it's ok! They beat Ohio State!" FUCK YOU! So help me god, if Michigan SOMEHOW wins this year against Ohio State, I will be so pissed off if some asshole says that to me. If I hear that, someone seriously might have to die...

*sigh* In all seriousness, this can be a blessing in disguise. It's so pathetic that it should take something this shocking and awful to happen to a storied program for them to finally wake up and smell the coffee, realizing that Lloyd Carr is a fucking joke of a coach, and the rest of that coaching staff is pathetic too. Does anyone else notice how a scrambling quarterback always does exceptional against Michigan's defense? Yeah, well I only hope that my prayers have finally been answered and that this is the last year that Lloyd Carr is coaching Michigan. I just don't get sports fans sometimes... How can they parade out to Lions Games the last few years chanting "Fire Millen" and wearing shirts that say the same, while the Michigan Student Section just goes wild for a piece of shit like Carr. I can't understand why the entire big house isn't wearing shirts that say "Fire Carr." If Michigan Fans have any intelligence, that's exactly what they need to do next week against Oregon. And regardless of the score, they should vacate the stadium at halftime in protest of Carr still being there.

Of course, this won't happen. The idiots will keep gobbling his shit up like candy. It's sad, but maybe... JUST MAYBE Carr will be gone after this year, no matter what happens... If that's true, I'll forever be grateful to those Appalachian State kids.

And yeah, this IS the biggest upset in college football history. :P

Happily Married to the Lovely Lady Chris Lightfellow! :D
Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can't tell if it's the biggest upset yet. As we all know College Football rankings are based on opinions and the preseason rankings are usually made of of flawed opinions. If Michigan wins out and gets back to the top 10, then I'll agree it's the greatests upset. If they don't then it's just an upset and an example of an overrated team that got its ranking based on its reputation and not its talent.

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's certainly a big upset, but I don't know if I'd call it the greatest upset either. I actually had trouble believing when I was told that Michigan had gone down to Apalachian State...I don't know very much about 1-AA college football, as I mostly just watch a few college games here and there.

Honestly, it seems to me that it must have to do with the coaching staff (as others have said) not preparing themselves for this game. As an unflinching rule, if you don't prepare for and play a game of football (not just football, either...) as hard as you can, there's no reason you should expect to win. You may win anyway, but you really don't have the right to be expecting it. You don't deserve to win if you're going to treat a game like a joke and fail to prepare properly for it.

So to me it's funny that Michigan went down. If they're smart, they'll react to this by making some improvements in the way their program is run, instead of relying on pure athletic potential.

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Sai Fujiwara

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sierra Mikain wrote:
You can't tell if it's the biggest upset yet. As we all know College Football rankings are based on opinions and the preseason rankings are usually made of of flawed opinions. If Michigan wins out and gets back to the top 10, then I'll agree it's the greatests upset. If they don't then it's just an upset and an example of an overrated team that got its ranking based on its reputation and not its talent.

I can't argue against your point, but I will say this much, and this is why I stand by my opinion on it being the greatest. We both know that Michigan isn't that bad a team. I think it's hilarious AND deserved that they have dropped OUT of the top 25. However, I think it'd be a stretch to say that they AREN'T one of the 25 best teams in the nation. I bet if they played Appalachian State 1000 more times, they'd win 1000. It was just a complete lack of preparedness, that can only be blamed on the coaching staff. I mean, it's not like these kids are pros, they're amatures, so you can't just rag on them all day for not being prepared. That's the coach's job.

Another thing is that while I believe that Michigan should be banned from the top 25 for the rest of the year, they will very likely win 7 to 9 games this year, finish ranked, and in a semi-decent bowl game. Hell, I could see them finishing #2 in the Big Ten, and they will very likely try to run up the score against Oregon next week. I doubt that Michigan goes to 0-2, but I'll reconsider my opinion, if Michigan gets embarrassed at home. Until then, and until their final record states that my opinion (and the opinions of most others) is incorrect, I'm standing by what I said.

Sierra Mikain

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What you just said exactly proves my point.

I know for a fact that you didn't see the game and I can pretty much guarantee that you can't name one starter on the defense... so exactly how do you know that Michigan is so good? You're basing your opinion on their reputation for having outstanding players and athletes. Sure the University recruits with its name, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they have an excellent program this year.

Not to mention man... that App team deserves a lot more credit than you're giving them. They didn't just outcoach the wolverines, they outplayed them. That's not a bad team and I think you're misled if you think they couldn't beat Michigan again.

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One thing that game showed and it shouldn't have been a surprise to Michigan fans. For the third game in a row the Wolverines defense just couldn't match up well with a mobile and fast offense. I wouldn't say John David Booty is a mobile QB, but his offense in USC is pretty fast and Michigan had no answer to that. Seems Appalachia State knew from the beginning that they had a chance with the speed they had on offense.

Another thing I noticed was how often the middle of the field was pretty much left open for the Mountaineer's receivers and backs to run around in. I understand that Michigan lost many pieces of their defense to the NFL after last season, but this is still Michigan and they never could get into any rhythm on both sides of the ball. I'm surprised the game was as close as it was in all honesty.

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well that's not exactly new. The wolverines have always built a defense based on winning the big ten which a conference with simplistic offenses based on running between the tackles. An offense that runs the option, that spreads the field, or that just has a mobile quarterback can cause serious problems.

It's been like that for a long, long time.

Windriders

544907 Potch
4066 Soldiers
620 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Appalachian State is the first Non Division 1-A school to beat a ranked team, so I would say it is. It really was an unprecedented win, and even if Michigan tanks this year (which, let's face it, with Lloyd Carr as coach, it's likely), it won't take away the fact that a team that's not even eligible for any poll beat a team ranked in the top 5. Appalachian State may be nothing to sneeze at, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a huge upset.
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The fact that it's the first time this has happened in college football history makes it an obvious yes. Every kid at Appalachian got drunk that night I hope.

Blue Moon

19500 Potch
0 Soldiers
666 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oregon 39
Michigan 7

(and it seriously wasn't that close..)

4 consecutive losses, 2 consecutive at home, and their worst losing defecit in almost 40 years.

There's no way this can go down as the biggest upset now, just the largest number of ignorant college football fans who thought Michigan was anything to fear. You beat a #5 team when they've proved something, okay. You beat them week 1 and it proves nothing. In two weeks Michigan has proved they can't adapt to an opponent's gameplan and they can't put up any points against questionable defenses.

The main absurdity isn't that ASU beat Michigan, it's that no one had any business ranking Michigan #5.

22038 Potch
0 Soldiers
5678 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah... Looks like you may be right.

Of course, things may change, if Michigan picks it up. I believe Mike Hart when he promises a victory at Notre Dame. Hell, Notre Dame is NOT a good team this year, so it's possible.

Michigan sure as heck was over-rated, but I still say they'll have a successful season in the Big Ten. Again, I think it's too early to say it wasn't the biggest upset... But, you are certainly looking correct about now. :wink:

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: