Suikoden United and Infamous Kibbutz Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Death Rule
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ard

Einherjar

804051 Potch
178 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course there is a zombie regiment, except its called undead instead. Undead refers to all sorts of resurrected creatures that smell bad. Just because the regiment icon shows a skeleton holding an axe doesn't mean there can't be zombies in them.
Ley

Username

441125 Potch
0 Soldiers
550446 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ardPSiKo wrote:
Of course there is a zombie regiment, except its called undead instead. Undead refers to all sorts of resurrected creatures that smell bad. Just because the regiment icon shows a skeleton holding an axe doesn't mean there can't be zombies in them.

Or Re-Animated Roadkill
Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like this new implementation. Just gives you one extra thing to think about when you strategize. Good addition!

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Yvl

Sanctus

55224 Potch
1063 Soldiers
12421 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see why you would risk getting one of your old members killed for good when you can forefeit turns instead. What if they come back to find they can't participate?

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah. Instead of permanent death, why not just reset their stats? I'd rather start at level 1 again with 0 karma than be dead for good. At least I can still help with raising stats in regions and stuff.

^Actual quote!
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1124503 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Eh, while this is interesting and all, one fix in one area opens up a glaring problem in another. By rendering an unlucky soul who was obliterated by the enemy "dead" and happened to have no regiment experience, whether or not said member is a new member just starting out or a member starting over after having been stripped of their old victories under the old format, it encourages stripping regiment experience from older, less active members to be distributed to the new, potentially more active, members.

All in all, this change is really only going to benefit the powerhouses who have nigh unstoppable regiments as it is, while aiding in the smaller and/or struggling nations from really being able to compete. Especially with regiment experience being slashed by a quarter for "killed" regiments. Even though it's a russian roulette type of thing where the death may happen as opposed to will happen, the odds are high enough that an inexperienced regiment which a nation is trying to build up would not only be defeated with relative ease, but the chances of said regiment to earn enough regiment experience to advance to the next level become increasingly slim.

Don't take it the wrong way, that's just how it comes across for me.

What would make this a bit more balanced would be the ability for members to purchase armor and the like, in order to better protect themselves in battle and potentially reduce the risk of being killed. If anything, it would make the system more like the games.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The point of the rule is to discourage nations from using fodder units. As was stated by iscalio before, if you're sending a unit with a fair amount of soldiers, the death rule won't be a problem at all for you. 2500 soldiers for any unit should keep any anyone you use from suffering the fate of Regiment Death.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1124503 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I can see discouraging the use of fodder units, but even at 2500 soldiers it is still very possible for a young regiment to find itself against a vastly more powerful regiment, which could also have a regiment advantage and suffer sabotage damage which could completely obliterate the young regiment.

For example:

Quote:
[Falena vs New Armes at Usur]
----=<Round 1>=----
Gregory House's The Anla'Shok Regiment (Crossbowmen) and Demon Eyes Kyo's Crimson Legion Regiment (Magicians) engage in battle!

Demon Eyes Kyo's regiment suffers 2500 casualties, leaving them with 0 soldiers, while Gregory House's regiment suffers 39 casualties, leaving them with 49961 soldiers.

Gregory House's regiment wins!

-----=<Result>=-----
[Falena]
Round 1: Gregory House (Crossbowmen) 50000 - 39 = 49961

[New Armes]
Round 1: Demon Eyes Kyo (Magicians) 2500 - 2500 = 0

In that fight, my regiment not only completely obliterates Demon Eyes Kyo's regiment, but his regiment already has less than 1/10 of my regiment's soldiers from the start of the battle, making it eligible for Regiment Death by default. It would seriously screw his opportunities if his gun had the bullet and his regiment was permanently wiped out.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem with your example is that your using an amount of soldiers that is way unrealistic. I don't think any unit currently in existence can hold at least half of the soldiers you put yourself in that fight. Yes, it is possible for this to happen(in a year or two, and with a very select crew of users who might be strong enough) but it is still an extremely improbable scenario.
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1124503 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, now that I look at it, I see what you mean. I will admit that math has never been my strong and my brain crossed wires and I was thinking of how the system was before the soldiers were adjusted. My bad.

I redid my test and still got some funky results, so I'm going to go on the assumption that the war calculator is still being worked on:

Quote:
----=<Round 1>=----
Gregory House's The Anla'Shok Regiment (Crossbowmen) and Demon Eyes Kyo's Crimson Legion Regiment (Magicians) engage in battle!

Demon Eyes Kyo's regiment suffers 2500 casualties, leaving them with 0 soldiers, while Gregory House's regiment suffers 58 casualties, leaving them with 1942 soldiers.

-----=<Result>=-----
[Falena]
Round 1: Gregory House (Crossbowmen) 2000 - 58 = 1942

[New Armes]

Last edited by Elc on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aurelien

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gregory House wrote:
For example:

Quote:
----=<Round 1>=----

Demon Eyes Kyo's regiment suffers 2500 casualties, leaving them with 0 soldiers, while Gregory House's regiment suffers 39 casualties, leaving them with 49961 soldiers.

-----=<Result>=-----
[Falena]
Round 1: Gregory House (Crossbowmen) 50000 - 39 = 49961

[New Armes]

In that fight, my regiment not only completely obliterates Demon Eyes Kyo's regiment, but his regiment already has less than 1/10 of my regiment's soldiers from the start of the battle, making it eligible for Regiment Death by default. It would seriously screw his opportunities if his gun had the bullet and his regiment was permanently wiped out.

You should realize that your Leadership value does not allow you to lead 50000 soldiers to the battlefield. People using 2500 soldier count as "borderline safe number" is based on the fact that we haven't seen anyone with 250 Leadership or more. Hence, the opponent cannot be killed.

EDIT: You were quicker in replying.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1124503 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I re-read the original post and it seems I was misinterpreting something and/or got very confused. Again, my bad. I believe I understand the mechanics now. (I hope)

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just saw this. Wow. Definitely a great way to put a little more balance to the game. The permanent death is one penalty that's going to hurt.
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Justice Johnny wrote:
I just saw this. Wow. Definitely a great way to put a little more balance to the game. The permanent death is one penalty that's going to hurt.

There is no permanent death.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Celes Tilly

Buttery Lungs

290293 Potch
666 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

...unless you are a peon sent with one soldier, I thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Budehuc Castle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: