Suikoden Urgent and Illegal Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

deserving money, handouts and working for it

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: deserving money, handouts and working for it Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ok so the title is botched but here we go.

A while ago while I was walking my dog I overheard a convosation between the swim coach and a 13 year old girl whos on the swim team (summer activity for my lake community) Apparenty it was about how she is getting good grades and working hard for her future higher education, geting "free money from parents", and that her brothers don't do work and just play with the computer all day. Apparenty the swim coach thinks that her brothers deserve massive ammounts of money as well to spend however they please, just because a) they are siblings also, b) they are still the parents kids, c) they are the name carriers.

being myself I couldn't help but butt in, and mention "hey this convo will take on a whole new meaning if you turn it into politics. wich again, there is nothign wrong with giving lazy slobs money, along with hard workers. (apparently)

it was also mentiond about all those hand outs America gives, that a poor black female can get free college, but a poor white man has to scrape work and save to send his kids to college. Yeh I guess that is unfair also.

anway so what do you think of this notion? free money, giving children large ammounts of spending money for being bad students, lazy and unproductive "just because", or should peopld need to work for things?
There is a differance between charity for homeless and well, giving money to people who just don't want to do anything. Is that fair?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, how a parent divides their money amongst his or her children can't be regulated. However a similar situation is occurring in my family. Excluding myself who lives on his own, my entire family still lives in one house. My older brother, my younger brother and younger sister. My older brother works and earns his own money. He also receives governmental assistance because he has cystic fibrosis and the number of hours he can work is limited. My younger brother goes to college and my younger sister just graduated from high school. My older brother never gewts a dime from my father because he gets his own income. However the situation with the younger siblings is different. My younger brother is forced to pay for his own college career, and he has no job at this point and is relying on student loans. My sister has no job or plans for college, but routinely gets money from my father to buy what she wants.

To the average eye this appears vastly unfair. The two that are actually doing something to change their lives are receiving no money, while the one not doing anything gets whatever she pleases. But this is the way it is. However my sister will soon not receive this and will be forced to get a job, a liscence and all that jazz.

In your scenario, Kuu, its flipped. The child who does stuff is being rewarded while the ones who do nothing but sit on their duffs all day do not. This is perfectly fair to me. If they aren't going to do anything to improve their lives, they shouldn't be rewarded the same as the one who gets out of the house and does stuff with her life. If I were the parent of those kids, I'd try and urge the boys to go be active, unless they actually have a stay at home computer job.

As for your line about the poor black girl getting assistance while the poor white man has to work for it, thats affirmative action at its finest. While we as whites may see that as unfair, it is true that even still, there is a heavy prejudice against females and blacks in the world. Some like to bitch saying "If they want equality, ditch affirmative action" but those bigots don't see the world for its real colors. A lot of places still choose whites over blacks, hispanics and other races. Men are still paid more, and more likely to get ahead in a workplace than women. Until all of this goes away, there's nothing we can do aside from try and level the playing field by giving the underpriviledged minorities aid.

The system is broken when it comes to who can reap benefits from the government. I see it all the time. People file for disability when they have bi-polar disorder. And they get it. If you are severely bi-polar, I can understand, but they throw that term around like they used to with ADD. Now we're finding out kids didn't all have ADD, they just hated school. Pssh. I'm not a doctor, but a lot of people diagnosed with Bi-Polar just need to learn how to cope with stressors. I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder years back, but after I learned how to deal with stress, tragedy and life and I no longer swing from depressed to happy. Anyhow, back on topic, people get their disability checks for lightly wobbly knees and get the good parking spots and they don't even have that bad of a problem. I know it is frustrating to see people who are scum of the earth receiving government benefits for being scum, but thats how the system is. That is what makes America what it is. Sadly. I wish it weren't true, but it is.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

397934 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Time for 'a poor black female' to weigh in, here.

This particular poor black female didn't have anything handed to her in the 4 years that I went to school - 80% of the scholarships that got me through school were based on academics and test scores and more interviews than I care to even think about and the resume-like applications I had to fill out - not because I was 'poor'. If the poor white man had my academics and my test scores, he'd have gotten a full scholarship too.

I don't agree with people that have everything getting more and people that don't have anything getting less. But there are so many abuses in the system as a whole from both the haves and the have nots that it makes it almost impossible for anything to be distributed fairly, evenly, and with a blind eye to one's race, color, or national origin because there's always a slim chance some part of the process will get corrupt.

Kuu wrote:
free money, giving children large ammounts of spending money for being bad students, lazy and unproductive "just because", or should peopld need to work for things?

I personally hate parents that do that to their kids - give them money and clothes and things just because they can and the kids never have to work for anything and then they go through life thinking that everything will go their way, and then get completely butthurt when it doesn't. For things like that, I blame the parents for giving their kids the wrong values in life. I got a lot of things from my parents but when it came time to learn that you don't get everything handed to you in real life, it was a painful lesson, but one I had to learn and now I'm trying to pass on to my child - Maddie understands that sometimes Mommy has to say no and that no means no. That, or if she wants something, she has to do little things around the house so that she earns the reward. Parents don't seem to do that anymore - they just hand their kids things as if they just can't be bothered with the hassle of teaching them the right way to go about things.

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1. free money?
There are no such thing as free in this world. Someone ends up paying for whatever. It might not be you or your immediate circle of acquaintances but someone loses something for you to benefit. Free Anything is a myth.

2. giving lazy and unproductive children large amounts of spending money ?
It is a fact that this is the perogative of the parents. Usually it is because money is the only way the parents think they can compensate for their shortcomings. It's not always right obviously because it only worsens their child's development (giving the child the wrong notion that money solves everything OR opening self destructive forms of escape/entertainment). If it's up to me the lazy child deserves a beating or a good pinching but child welfare groups would surely not agree.

3. should peoplde need to work for things?
Obviously. The value of the reward is sweetened by the sweat you exude trying (and eventually) attaining it.

4. giving money to people who just don't want to do anything. Is that fair?

No! I absolutely detest this.

'Give me money because I'm homeless, I'm poor and my baby's papa left me because he had enough of my skanky ass'

I mean jeeze. Get a (morally) decent freaking job!

'Give me money because God compells you to!"

How about no? And go to hell! God only says to aid the poor not tolerate their poverty even more by condoning your begging.

'Give me money because your forefathers wronged me.'

No! Civil law dictates that any indemnities owed are extinguished after the immediate descendants. I don't owe you anything (Then You/I would get the hell out of that place for obvious reasons that most morons that use this extortionary statement would not listen to reason).
Vincent Chase

1st H.A.C - Spread Your Love

314554 Potch
0 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It has to be specified here. There's nothing wrong with giving money to your kids regardless of their academic prowess if they want to have fun with their friends but aren't yet old enough to work, it's all a part of providing for your family. If you didn't give your kids money to go off and live their own lives once they've reached a certain age, then they'd always be around, and no one wants that. You'll obviously need to reciprocate a bit, like rewarding them for helping around the house and things of a similar nature, but the fact is that today everything costs money, you need money to have fun.

I don't know if its true about 'poor black people' getting free college (there are college funds set up for them) but really I'm not against it. Remember, white people did enslave and exploit blacks for over 300 years (or more than twice as long as slavery has been abolished for) and even now, 40 years after Civil Rights, blacks still face many obstacles that they wouldn't be facing were they white. Call it affirmative action, I call it leveling the playing field.

Quote:
There is a differance between charity for homeless and well, giving money to people who just don't want to do anything. Is that fair?

While many homeless are victims of mental illness or drug addiction, there are many forms of social assistance to help them off the streets (Supportive Housing, Shelter Plus Care, I could go on...) and yet many homeless still live on the streets, asking me for my hard earned money. Show me the dichotomy between this and people who don't want to do anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: