Suikoden Unique and Illusional Keystone Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Harmonia = Southern American States?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Harmonia = Southern American States? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Let's forget about the geographical attributes but focus on the culture of Harmonian society and Pre African-American Civil Rights Movement southern US. If you care to examine it, it seems that Murayama may have based Harmonia from southern US. Let us examine the similarities.

Harmonia:
--------------------------
Racist society. Classes defined on Skin/Hair/Eye color and Ethnicity. Kobolds are regarded as nonhumans. Etc. Etc.

The circle as part of the flag's emblem.

Used Religion as a basis for their Society (government etc)

Used slavery to enrich it's coffers.

Southern U.S. (Alabama, Georgia, etc: pre emancipation):
--------------------------
Was also racist. Very similar to Harmonia.

The klu klux klan at one point or another was quite prominent here. Also, the klu klux klan name is supposedly originating from a term for 'Circle'. Supposedly it is a warped latin version.

Religion was a strong pillar of their society. In fact Religion was a rallying point for many bigot movements that aimed for racial inequality. I'm not too sure about now though because the KKK is no longer as influential as it was before.

Used to thrive through slave labor and unfair labor practices against non-whites.

So what do you think?
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Harmonia was based on the USSR, Murayama even said himself in an interview. The way the social classes were tipped on their heads is reminiscent of when the communists took power and working class people took the power.
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tipped on their heads? I'm confuzzled...
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm also 'confuzzled'. Where's the reminiscence in this regard?

And I didn't know that Murayama said that Harmonia was based on the Soviet Union. I knew that he compared it to Russia, but not about the comparison to communist Russia specifically.

As far as the original topic is concerned: I find the comparison to be too farfetched/generic to be relevant.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When Hikusaak took power, the people in power became the lower classes, and so did countries that resisted invasion, second class citizens are usually countries that surrendered to Harmonian invasion instead of fighting, first class citizens are the "pure" Harmonians who aren't allowed to marry outside their classes.

iscalio wrote:
And I didn't know that Murayama said that Harmonia was based on the Soviet Union. I knew that he compared it to Russia, but not about the comparison to communist Russia specifically.

It probably was Russia, but I always thought he was referring to the Soviet Union...
Raww Le Klueze

56792 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as I know his reference to Russia was only in reference to size and location on the world map.

And hate to break this to you but Kobolds are non-humans. That's kinda why we call them Kobolds instead of humans.
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just about every empire is racist and has been involved in slavery/exploitation of other peoples. The circle comes from the circle rune, which represents Harmony, but also order and stagnation.

Harmonia seems to be a traditional highly regimented empire that draws from many historical sources, be it England, Rome, Russia, etc. The South fits into that picture only in that it's a conservative leaning institution that holds slaves. Even the slave system is handled differently, in that Harmonia mainly enslaves conquered nations and nonhumans within its own boundaries rather than ship them in for use on private land.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How about the fact that the Klu Klux Klan was corruption for the term of a circle? Purely coincidental?
Masa

Fightin' Nac Mac Feegle

418570 Potch
0 Soldiers
10000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes. It turns out the circle is a pretty common shape.

Perverted Old Men

3407 Potch
954 Soldiers
86 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see the similarities, it's not a bad association - do i think they intentionally based it off the american south? No. But the similarities are there, it's possible they did I suppose.

I hate you Onimaru.
Decado

Desert Elite

357208 Potch
0 Soldiers
4283 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Surely based on your arguments a more accurate comparison would be Harmonia against the KKK rather than the entirety of the Southern American States, as that seems to be the main crux of your post.

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I'm southern, we're not all Klan members. Now days, most northerners I've met down here say de facto segregation makes racism more obvious up north anyways, but that's just what I hear. I'm no first hand expert on the subject.

You're arguments have little strength to stand upon. I find the correlations you've drawn foggy at best. To say with any certainty that there was a connection you'd need to make a connection in the major area's like culture, economy, policy, history, common symbols and religion. Maybe it's asking alot but if you can't find more connections than that, I find it hard to believe.

The circle being a translation thing is also suspect. It's speculatory but you've also misrepresented it. It's not much more than a bastardized form of kyklos which is greek for circle(not latin) and as mentioned, circles, pretty common.

I do apologize for getting down on you but I am born and raised southern and when you only compare the negative aspects of my heritage to this fictional nation, I tend to get somewhat offended by your misrepresentation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Archeron, I did specify I was refering to the PAST racist society of the southern states especially during the civil war AND even after that (until racism was nearly eliminated because of the whole african american liberalization).

Don't be offended, I never did intended to decieve the posters here that the southern states are still a racist society.
Vessol

Goldstar's Regiment

3495 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It shares many simularities with numerous empires/nations in the past. Really it is an architypicle fantasy empire with an all-powerful eternal ruler whom is the head of worship as well.
LTM

14940 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally I find Harmonia to be very similar in its political and social structure, to Germany and Rome whom both were run heavily by Aristrocrats for a long time. Nazi Germany was heavily into the whole "pure race" blonde haired blue-eyed people, and Rome was also very big on slavery, different classes of citizens etc etc. Perhaps its a mixture of the two?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: