Suikoden Urgent and Inspirational Karma Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Boarding other ships in Naval battles.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aesa

Those Who Slumber

427118 Potch
250 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Everyone's Grudge wrote:
Boarding isn't worth it. It is a lot easier to use rune cannons. What I really hate is how they get a free shot at you when you try to board.

I agree, at the end when you have like 4 ships all you need to do really is have so semi-strong characters/ mages (rune cs) on the Gaien or Obel ship and use them as decoys

A useful tactic that I've found is that while the enemy can fire back when they are like this
<--->

<--->

When they are like this..
^
|| <--->
V
you can fire nearly free of worry, just make sure none of the other enemy ships can do the same to you :)

The setting sun means the rise of a new day...
...excepting for Ragnarok, of course

~Tinto~
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, boarding does have it's advantages. It gives you the chance for sinking the ship without your ship taking any damage. Well, given that you don't have that great Rune cannonists, like Haruto and Naello. But i too prefer blowing up the ships to smith'reens. And Desmond rocks.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Idylan Thomas

Moonlight Drive

105871 Potch
1194 Soldiers
1670 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The gaien Ship is your weakest ship @ this point..
it is recommended that having brec as its Captain..
i lost that ship in all my Suiko4 replays..
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hate to admit it, but Jango and Brec do make good Captains. Those no good lazy bums. I would have expected them to be fighters at the least! And Reinbach added 15 to the number of underlings, which is good to have.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I really liked having Kika as a captain.
midnight_fox387

4500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, in most cases boarding a ship is actually pretty useless since you can win those battles easily just using rune cannons. But in the final engagement, I thought of putting my main party member fighters on my main ship and having them board the first fleet's flagship. I won easily and I didn't have to go through the pain of fighting against the flagship with rune cannons. Also, regular runes don't work, but I know that the double-strike and the fury runes still have affect while boarding, I'm not sure about the combo attacks though.
Jhones

The Vermillion Legion

7066 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Troy's ship's really the only boarding you need to worry about, since his ship has al four rune elements, and over two hundred underlings. It'd take the divine hand of fate to beat his ship in cannonering.

I'm going to get myself banned if I keep acting like a jerk...
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never like to lose a ship and so I always have a group of fighters that can do combo attacks on board all of my ships in naval battles . I also equip the strongest mages with Tier 2 elemental runes so that the runes do additional damage in addition to the mages magic strength .

I do try to sink the ships before I get in too close , but it isn't worth risking a ship when you can board a ship and use the beserker attack to lay out all of the enemies in one move and still be able to use the ship again . Other parties I used were the participants for the Giant Sword attacks on the main ship , and a pair of combination attack duos on other ships . With this method the final Naval battle never even lasted five minutes .

Where exactly do you find Ocean Runes in the game to boost the power of your ships for naval battles . I have only ever recieved 5 and those were the ones that you get from the events of the game . Do you fish with Ugetsu to get them or do they appear in Shiramine's fishing net . Also in which waters near which islands are the Ocean Runes most likely to be found .
Justice Johnny

Crimson Grass

1177898 Potch
114 Soldiers
940 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From my experience, most of the Ocean Rune Pieces can be found underwater (obviously...) I don't know if anyody has confirmed the maximum number of Ocean Rune Pieces you can possibly get, but I believe there is no limit. As to their locations, I've gotten a lot outside the Pirates' Nest (while looking for Snowe's pirate garb) and Deserted Island (while fishing for Pearl Shells).

I mostly upgrade the armoring of the Dauntless (about 7 in the end), but I still get wasted in the final battle when I try to board ships. The others have not been a trouble though. I usually use Akaghi, Mizuki and Kate and use the True Ninja Attack, but I have used the naval battles as an event where I test different combo attacks, usually the 3-person ones like the Giant Sword B, Beauty and Nymph Attacks, as well as the magic combos like the Master/Pupil and Sorcerer Attacks.
Hugo

Flaming Arrows

7609 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks for the information highwind , but is there anything special that you need to do like having a party with a high average luck value or something . I have fished in those areas again and again and I have never found an Ocean Rune piece to my dismay , but it is not like I really need them .

In addition to the Giant Sword Attack team that I used on the main ship , the best combo attacks participants to use are the really tough ones like Karl and Helga for the Physical attack and Dario and Gau for the Berserker Attack or Sigurd and Hervey for the pirate attack , you might as well throw in Helmut for the Adonis attack if there is room . Jeremy and Travis and Trishtan might be okay for the Reverse Adonis attack too . Also using Tal , Keneth , Paula and Jewel for the Knight attack could be used without too much trouble .

Some teams that are okay are Ornan , Reinhold and Bartholemew for the Silver attack but seeing as Ornan will have to take a hit to wake up and be used then another team should take priority . The Meow Attack from the three Nay-Kobolds I have found is very useful to use every second or third turn to heal your party and make them last . The barrage attacks and the bow and arrow attacks from the archers and The Sibling Attack with Lo Hak , Lo Fong and Lo Seng and the fishermen attack from Ugetsu and Shiramine are okay for backup but I recommend taking out one enmy at a time as you don't want all four enemies coming at you every turn .

A four person team that I was experimenting with were the participants for The Family Attack and the Spear Attack combos . Those are Lino en Kuldes , Flare , Eugene and Rachel . This works similarly to the Giant Sword attack team with one member being the link between the two combos and these concentrated on one enemy at a time and so proved to be effective .

The ninjas are good when it comes to dodging attacks from enemy soldiers but they really can't take a hit and are not as durable as the other strong teams . Certainly don't use Warlock and Pablo for the Master / Pupil attack or Katarina and Conrad for the Sorceror attack as they would only require two hits or close to be defeated . The Love Love attack is just weak and The Nymph and Beauty and Allure attacks all have some participants who are not really strong in the defence department .

As long as you took all the characters that you will be using to the Obel Ruins for about five batles each then that should get you by without having to worry about out gunning the enemy ships .
Eternal Wind

Silver Wind

500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Personally, I use the knight squad with medicine, killer and drain runes set. 2 killers + a drain on tal is cruel and unusual punishment for the other side. If there was a barrage attack that didn't need ted, I i'd use that, but ted and and jeane are my main gunners. I just wish there were soul eater rune cannons. That would throw anything for a loop. As for the Dauntless, it gets the Giant Sword crew, and i'm still working on my plans for the last two ships. Maybe the cats + Gretchen.
KFCrispy

51948 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hugo wrote:
I never like to lose a ship and so I always have a group of fighters that can do combo attacks on board all of my ships in naval battles . I also equip the strongest mages with Tier 2 elemental runes so that the runes do additional damage in addition to the mages magic strength .

does this really make a difference? i think the only thing that actually affects your damage is if the enemy crosses shost with you and yours "eats" theirs.
Kikito

Order of the Absolute

2953355 Potch
65 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never thought it was worth boarding other ships. First of all, you have to level up your characters, and what's worse sharpen their level one weapons(most characters start with really weak equipment). On top of that Shooting Rune Cannons is much easier even if it takes a bit more than boarding.
runemaster

The Arrows Of New Armes

11500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*rambling content and irritating reiteration removed for the sake of all*

Zieg

15988 Potch
10 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Uh oh...
As far as I remember, boarding was the only tactic I used in the final naval battle.
I had a really strong party on the deck of the main ship ( I called it St Loa), so I came up with a thought that it would be easier to board Troy's ship than to guess which rune cannon he was planning to use.
I dealt with all of the Koolok ships in no time...and only by boarding them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: