Suikoden Unique and Infamous Kosher Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Boarding other ships in Naval battles.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcon Critical

Haia's Star Pupil

678159 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Boarding other ships in Naval battles. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Okay I was in a naval battle and decided I'd try to board an enemy ship ( since I was winning easily anyway ).

I did the crash into them and everything but when i boarded I found ( to my dismay ) that the only thing my characters could do was "attack". All unites / items / magic was un-usable and my party got wiped since I had some mages there.

Is this how it's supposed to be? And if so it looks like I'll have to get some good armor and sharpen some weapons! XD

Do indirect runes work? i.e. fury / double-strike / charm?

The Invincible Weeds

803820 Potch
0 Soldiers
2 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, that's how it works. You can't use rune magic or items, but I know from experience that a few of the unites still work. Maybe if they're "magical" unites, they don't? I know I used Pirate Attack and Ninja Attack several times and others have said several other unites work as well.

Seekers of Hawke's Hot Stuff

1008758 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All unites work. Unite attacks that target all enemies are espeically deadly in boarding battles. Like True Ninja Attack, Berserker Attack, and the like.

^Actual quote!
Starslasher

Chunks of Chaco-late.

1177790 Potch
300 Soldiers
35 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What FF6Sage said. You should be able to work some unites, but i wasn't able to use Kika's Falcon Runes or any other runes. It was an awkward way fighting, but at least you can control your characters, unlike the Suikoden III war battles.

I think your indirect runes should work, but i haven't tried it out yet.

You might also have to level up some characters.

Bork! Bork! Bork!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tonberry

The Tonberry Eggsperience

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Boarding isn't worth it. It is a lot easier to use rune cannons. What I really hate is how they get a free shot at you when you try to board.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think they only get a free shot if you try to hit then head on while they broadside you, if you hit them head on too then they don't have the ability to attack. And I do find it worth it, I set up one of the ships with high mobilty and strong fighters and use that to board other ships, because all it takes is a single boarding party to sink a ship while it takes several shots from a canon to sink it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It is really easy to win the naval battles no matter which choice you pick but I personally enjoyed barrage the enemy with my rune cannons ^_^ Let them have fun sinking. Panicing and the likes.
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just used Warlock, Jeane, and Maxine and let 'em have it. Worked pretty well for me.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Just set it up that your ships are at rough right angles to each other, and take turns hitting the enemy from the front. Between that and the extended janken system of Runes? Yeah, you can definately grab the advantage in these war battles if you're at -all- smart about it.

The boarding option just doesn't seem worth it to me.
Trevoke

The missing liberty

25000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fighting a naval battle?
I put all 5 ocean pieces on my main ship.
I can attack from 9 or 10 squares away. good luck retaliating!
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I never boarded any ship, i loved the strategy setup, it was actually one of the few fun things in the game.

Oh and on my second playthrough i used some cheats (my bad, i know) to get alot of ocean rune pieces, it was fun shooting at your enemy from the other side of the ocean! And also hitting two of them at the same time if they were one square on the grid apart. :wink:
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trevoke, how did you get that 9-10 range? If I remember correctly, it takes 5 ocean rune pieces to increse your range by one. Maybe I'm fogetting something.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"All" five...? There's essentially an unlimited number of them in the game. I forget how many I found by fishing. Dunno why I didn't think of using them to increase range though; I think I bolstered the hulls of my ships, or something like that.
Tonberry

1819401 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I increased the distance I could go in a turn. I only picked up 6 in my game.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I rarely board a ship due to the shaky battle system involved, what with locking all options but Attack. I'm more for Rune cannon barraging, especially with Jeane and Viki. I try to fire from head on rather than side by side whenever I can. I don't see why some characters like Rene are able to fire Rune cannons even though their magic skills and # of shots are low. Guess it's a challenge-seeking thing. :?

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Gameplay Questions & Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: