Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

On the subject of plagiarism.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luceit

Defender of Highland

371188 Potch
2170 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: On the subject of plagiarism. Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This has been an issue bothering me for quite some time now, so I thought I'd make a topic about it.
Basically, I started to notice people plagiarizing in my college in my third semester. This was in my Philosophy class, and the paper in question was about our personal philosophy. Two students were caught because my Philosophy lecturer happened to have read about the philosopher they copied from (Well, how stupid can you get, copying a professional philosopher?) and he said that he'd fail them if they didn't submit another paper.
This semester, I happen to see two cases. One was in my Introduction to Mass Communication class where some people copied parts of their movie reviews from the Internet (No, nothing happened to them) and the other one was in my Introduction to Cultural Anthropology, where someone had written a 'professional' account of a particular tribe's weapons. I happened to take a look at it, and the information there was far too detailed for one that could be obtained within a single field trip.
As usual, here are a list of questions:

1) How does your country's education address the issue of plagiarism?

Sadly, my country doesn't do much, as you can see from above. In fact, until some time back, we didn't even need citations for any of our works in secondary school. We don't even learn how to cite things in the standard APA or MLA format until college.

2) What is your personal opinion of it?

I certainly don't like it because it's cheating, plain and simple. I'm also worried when I see people do this, because if they do it in America, they'd be kicked out of college/university.
I also don't like it when my lecturers give these people another chance to redo their papers. Quite frankly, the whole purpose of the paper is to come up with something original, and by plagiarizing, they already failed that purpose in my opinion.

1567728 Potch
0 Soldiers
157 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think technically speaking, all countries would hate plagiarism. However, when it comes to whether any action is taken or not, it would really depend on the institution itself.

For example: I went to a college in Australia. The rule clearly stated that plagiarism is not allowed and those who did would immediately be failed. When there were plagiarism cases, the lecturer decided to turn a blind eye instead. So what's the point of the rule?

I hate plagiarism, and I hate stupid plagiarism even more.

One case that happened in the college was that there were four students copying their friend's work. The task was to create a form for something (can't remember what), and at the very bottom, the "friend" put his own name. Those four who copied did not even bother to change the name and whatnot. So all five of them had the same name there. And you know what really pissed me off? Those four who plagiarized had the guts to try saying that they didn't copy from their friend.

Another case happened when one guy copied an innocent student's assignment without him knowing it. The innocent student got punished as well. Obviously the one who plagiarized had the guts to say that he didn't plagiarize, despite obvious copying (the innocent student has bad English and misunderstood the question, he gave an answer that didn't make sense, the one who copied gave the exact same "not making sense" answer). Sometimes I feel like smacking those people.

~City-States of Jowston and Tinto Republic~
06.06.2004 - 20.01.2008

Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well if you are caught you will get a fail, no questions asked. I have seen this happen a few times to a few of the guys at college. They did not care though.

I hate it. It is blatant cheating of the highest order. I had a so called friend copy my layout and format of our Final Project. Needless to say i caught him and made him change it or i was going to let our lecturer know.
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

1) Like Aurelian said it depends on the institution, and actually I would go further and say that it really depends on the teacher. Funny thing is, I had a teacher before (I believe it was my High School Senior English teacher) who told me to rewrite a certain paper because it "bordered on plagiarism". I hadn't copied word for word, I had taken notes and written it down, and I guess my wording was too close to the original. So obviously, to some it's a big deal and is taken quite seriously.

2) My personal opinion is that it's wrong. If your going to take the time to do a report, you should actually do the work, not just pretend to. I've always thought people should give an honest effort to their work, although that is slightly hypocritical of me, since back in school, I rarely did any homework. My work on site was quite good, though.

Daily Funny Award for May 1st, 2008
Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The University of the Philippines takes the issue of plagiarism quite seriously. If it is an accidental plagiarism (the ones where you unintentionally failed to cite the source of a certain information in a paper), you will automatically fail the course. If it is intentional plagiarism, I heard the sanction is being expelled.

I really believe that plagiarism is really wrong because it's a form of stealing and the individual at fault takes full credit from the work of others. Absolutely immoral if you ask me.

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Failed for unintentional plagiarism?! Wow. That's harsh. And on the whole class, not just the paper? Yikes!

Zaleria

1296207 Potch
13650 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, you'll be required to retake the course again. The last time I made a research paper was last semester and I was really keen on keeping every source cited. A few professors though, mostly the younger ones, allow the student some time to fix their work. But that kind of professor is rare.

Tonby, while I'm not in Zexen wrote:

I just noticed that if you turn Zexen Activity Levels into an acronym, it makes ZAL. Oh the irony! =P
TruePerception

Blind Eye

478325 Potch
1000 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And much loved, I'm sure. If my teacher had failed me over my paper "bordering on plagiarism", I'd of been stuck in summer school. That would have sucked big time!

Dew Dust

2127634 Potch
200 Soldiers
104 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Similar to what Aurelien has said, it does depend on the institution where I come from and our rules for plagiarism is also similar to that of Zaleria. There really isn't much of a difference though between accidental or purposely done plagiarism since it is hard to prove one over the other and also it is stated in the university's handbook right away that plagiarism is not tolarated. So basically, everyone already should know the rule of it and how to prevent doing it especially at the point of time/age of when being in college. I am a high school teacher and we teach our students in high school about plagiarism and how to avoid it so they are prepared and know what is expected of them when they go to the higher education.

Well, I personally don't like it for the same reasons already mentioned that it is a form of cheating. It is hard at times to write that paper and those people who put time and effort into it and making sure it is not plagiarized should not see their hard work go down the drain when someone can get away with plagiarized work. It basically isn't fair. Not to mention it is also a form of stealing someone else's work. Just not a good thing. Sadly, a lot of people don't see anything wrong with it and do it for the lazy or easy way out of things. And you got to admit that form of stealing is less stressful and easy to do than robbing a store or trying to cover up a five-finger discount.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Educational All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: