Suikoden Uncouth and Illusional Keystone Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Island Nations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rincewind

Architect of the Pass - Phoenix Regiment

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Island Nations Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was having a Suikoden discussion with my friend who got me into the whole series last night. He was saying that the Island Nations had been mentioned in past games through the Old Books. Is this true?
Ayreon

Universal Migrators

7311 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dont know if the Island Nations are mentioned in one of the Old Books,but there is a part in Suikoden 2 when someboy( maybe Shu,i can't really remember) is talking about the Kingdoms and he mentions the Island Nations but with another name.

''Sail away to Avalon.......''
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For an exact answer: No Old Book deals with the Island Nations.

However, mention of the Island Nations are quite numerous throughout Suikoden II.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Rincewind

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok, once I am done with Suikoden IV, and maybe Star Ocean III. I need to go through the whole series again. Anyone know where I can pick up a new copy of Suikoden III? Or if that is even possible?
Barbarossa Rugner

The Golden Mercenaries

5684336 Potch
15000 Soldiers
650 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Best bet is to go on ebay i would think. You can probably find a factory sealed Suikoden 3 fairly easily if you are willing to pay. If not then i would try gamestop or some other video game store where they might have a copy of Suikoden 3 laying around. Of course you could just get a used copy which is not hard at all.

The Rune on my Sword, the Dragon King Sword, is protected against any form of magic, Even the rune of the Gate - Barbarossa Rugner
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There are a couple of prior references to the Island Nations:

The Trading Game: Pearls in S2 are mentioned to have come from the Islands (yes, capital I). I'll have to snoop around in S1 and S3 again, since my memory was refreshed with S2 recently. Regardless, pearls are what put the Island Nations on the trading map.

When you first meet Shu, the 'coin' he throws into the sluice gate is Island Nations currency, since he says, "This is the kind of coin used to trade with the southern islands". Although he threw a rock into the water, Richmond threw a coin in for Apple and Co., so we're assuming it's the same kind.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think Richmond's investigation of Amada (in Suikoden 2) mentions that he's from the Island Nations, too.
Ninjar

The Shins

247440 Potch
1500 Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm pretty sure they say nothing about the Island Nations in Suikoden. In my 10 or so playthroughs I can't remember anyone or anthing that ever mentions the Island Nations.
Rincewind

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ninjar wrote:
I'm pretty sure they say nothing about the Island Nations in Suikoden. In my 10 or so playthroughs I can't remember anyone or anthing that ever mentions the Island Nations.

a handful of people beg to differ with ya. :P
Goldy

Kooluk Companions

543627 Potch
467 Soldiers
4141829 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Rincewind wrote:
Ninjar wrote:

a handful of people beg to differ with ya. :P

But Ninjar could just be refering to Suikoden I.
I cant remember any references in Suikoden I but i do remember them in Suikoden II.
Any references in Suikoden III??
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The only other nation to get a mention in Suikoden I is the City-States of Jowston. There's not even any indication that there is anything outside those two nations in the first game.

It's Suikoden II that went crazy with the mentioning of a ton of countries, Holy Kingdom of Harmonia, Kingdom of Highland, Queendom of Falena, Zexen Confederacy, the Grasslands, the Nameless Lands, the Island Nations, Kanakan and the Southlands all get their first mention in Suikoden II.

The only new nations mentioned in Suikoden III would be the western continent, of which we know nothing about at all, and Sanadia, which isn't even a country anymore anyway.

And in Suikoden IV, we got the Kooluk Empire, the Gaien Dukedom as well as more information of the different islands that make up the Island Nations Federation.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Suikoden II sure preapred itself well for a whole loads of follow-up installments. Which unfortunately set up too many unanswered questions, leading to countless disappointment.

But, of course, there are a whole lot more great unexpected surprises too, IMO.

Makes me wonder if Kooluk or Gaien even existed during I, II and III's timeframe.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I personally doubt that Kooluk exists by the time-frame of Suikoden I, II and III. However, Gaien is a different matter. It could've joined the Island Nations Federation or stayed independent. And it's also far enough away for there to be a reason behind its absence until now.

Kooluk, on the other hand, borders the Scarlet Moon Empire in Suikoden IV. There is literally no mention of it either being in conflict with the Empire, or supporting the Liberation Army or anything at all for that matter. That's why my prefered theory regarding Kooluk is that it broke down into the various small states that comprise the Southlands.
Wolf Stew

Riders on the Storm

29081 Potch
43 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So you think that the Kooluk empire (from Suikoden 4) and the Southlands (mentioned briefly in Suikoden 2) are the same thing? Interesting.

Of course, we know very little about the geography of Kooluk or the Southlands, so it's impossible to say for sure.

Oh, another location named in Suikoden 2 is Black Dragon Island (where Hai Yo the chef is from). I have no idea where it's located though.....I don't think anyone has ever said.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Black Dragon Island could literally be anywhere and could be any size or shape. It could be huge or it could be a small island with one Chef Center. I doubt we'll ever find out. I'd doubt it'd be bigger than, say, Mordo Island however.

As for my Kooluk/Southlands theory, it mainly focuses on the facts. Kooluk is on the southern border of the Scarlet Moon Empire. However, the lands south of the Toran Republic are called the Southlands. But, the problem is, apparantly from Toran's southern border down to the Island Nations there's only Kooluk.

My main concern for now however is whether the Kooluk region is to the south-east of Toran (South of the Great Forest region) or south-west of Toran (south of Lorimar and Moran Forest). Most maps, including the one here at SARS places it south-east but the composition of the Kooluk peninsula doesn't seem to match that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: