Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Knowledge Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Shenmue online cancelled, Shenmue series is now dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Himuro

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Shenmue online cancelled, Shenmue series is now dead Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Welp. It's official. RIP.

Quote:
Shenmue Online cancelled, Shenmue 3 not happening as Sega’s franchise dies -

Posted by supadupagama in News, Videos (Monday August 6, 2007 at 9:29 am)
Back in February 2006, Shenmue creator and veteran game designer Yu Suzuki, confirmed that the mysterious Shenmue MMO venture Shenmue Online (that was announced in 2004) was still in development: “The story will be finished through games.” Later that year at the China Joy 2006 game event Sega unveiled new info in an Shenmue Online trailer and gameplay videos that you can watch below.

Sadly that’s the last we’ll see of any Shenmue games, since Shenmue Online has been canceled and will more than likely never see another sequel like Shenmue 3. Seganerds reports that ever since the game didn’t show up at China Joy 2007 it’s continued development has been questioned.

It’s now been confirmed by Kikizo staff saying: “As for Shenmue, I would have to say at this stage, it is worth forgetting about. If all the fans get any rich relatives together and channel it though Dojo perhaps we could buy rights, hire Suzuki (he’d likely say yes) and independently make the game under license from Sega at no risk to them. That is the only way it will get made at this stage I think.”

The following words must’ve been really hard for the Shenmue fans to say: “To clarify, what I meant was I wanted to get clarification on something I heard a couple of days ago, which is that yes, Shenmue Online is f*cked and Suzuki’s status is, once again, up in the air, which counts Shenmue III totally out of the picture right now. This is confirmed, it seems.”

Wow double-sad news! Now I have to go tell some friends who are fans of Shenmue and Shenmue II.

I am not shocked but...I'm still pretty sad. Sigh. Now I'll never get an ending to this game.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Well this sucks.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sadness.

Unfortunately, Sammy-controlled Sega seems too busy regurgitating crappy versions of Sega's former hits to really do any of their new or innovative series.

Shenmue was really a series before it's time. If it had come out closer to the Grand Theft Auto games, I think it would have gotten some crossover from gamers who enjoy that sandbox mode. Unfortunately, the first two came out on a dying console and an unpopular one, respectively, and neither exactly sold well, I'd bet. That all but sealed it, really.

I'm only surprised they're not releasing Shenmue online in the lucrative asian MMO market in a somewhat redesigned less-dependant-on-the-series style.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had been expecting it for a while, Shenmue was a very expensive game to make (it broke a record at the time) and hasn't made a profit to this day I don't think. It is a shame where truly creative and original games are sidelined with several problems whilst games like FIFA or Final Fantasy continue after all these years to sell in the millions.

I really find it hard to believe that Yu Suzuki is happy where he is.
Loran Cehack

Moonlight Butterfly

203221 Potch
200 Soldiers
122 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I surprised and disappointed that no one has vowed to become rich and fund Shenmue 3, so I guess I'll have to pick up the slack. Give me ten years or so and I'm certain I'll have enough cash to get things rolling again. :P

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As sad a news this might seem I'll still think that years from now someone within Sammy Sega will decide it's time to ressurect the title. No franchise ever truly dies.

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ones like Shenmue do.

Sophita wrote:
Sadness.

Unfortunately, Sammy-controlled Sega seems too busy regurgitating crappy versions of Sega's former hits to really do any of their new or innovative series.

Shenmue was really a series before it's time. If it had come out closer to the Grand Theft Auto games, I think it would have gotten some crossover from gamers who enjoy that sandbox mode. Unfortunately, the first two came out on a dying console and an unpopular one, respectively, and neither exactly sold well, I'd bet. That all but sealed it, really.

I'm only surprised they're not releasing Shenmue online in the lucrative asian MMO market in a somewhat redesigned less-dependant-on-the-series style.

Sega should have ported Shenmue 1 and 2 to the ps2 instead of putting 2 on the Xbox. Such a STUPID move.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"I'm looking for some sailors."
Filipe

The Executors of Harmonian Order

35712 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is unfortunately something we saw coming a long time ago, right after Shenmue 2 was released. I had the distinct feeling that no matter what the fans of the series might want, that Sega wont end up going anywhere with it. To be honest I found the whole idea behind the games rather unappealing and never did get a chance to try the game. I did buy a copy of the original game once, on the chance that maybe I would enjoy it, however it turned out to be the only game I ever bought used that didnt end up working when I got it. I didnt even get the chance to play the second one, because I couldnt find a copy, so I never got a chance to try it, and maybe one day I will. I think it was released on the XBOX wasnt it? I dont quite remember which system it was, it may have been the Dreamcast, I dont really remember.

Well if anyone has a copy they dont have any use for I will be more than happy to have it even if I cant play it any time soon.

La Morte

842834 Potch
500 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L52OIIZHaKE

Rip Shenmue
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If he needed to find sailors how else was he going to do it?! :P
ferrouslupusrex

Ferrouslupusrex

563 Potch
673 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bwahahaha! It’s dead! Fantastic. I never did care for the series. I have played shenmue 1 to a limited time but I just cant stand it so I returned it.
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You waited a month to say this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Game & Anime Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: