Suikoden Unique and Irrational Kriegspiel Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Exit Fate Demo [Last Scenario fans, take heed.]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Exit Fate Demo [Last Scenario fans, take heed.] Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Divine, the creator of Last Scenario, just released a demo for his next title, Exit Fate. Exit Fate was originally released a few years ago, but he's completely remaking it now. This game should be right up everyone's alley here - it's sort of a tribute to the Suikoden series. Well, he explains it better than I do:

Origami wrote:
Shortly after finishing Last Scenario, I went back to work on a new game. I don't think it needs a long introduction. It was once again made with RPGMaker XP, and is very much inspired by the Suikoden series (most of the background tiles are from Suikoden 2). This means that there are large war battles, you get your own castle, and there are a ton of characters to recruit (75 in total, and unlike in Suikoden all of them can be used in battle).

The demo is not very long (you can finish it in an hour), but it contains a dungeon with a boss and a small war battle. I'm releasing this demo not just to give people a taste of what the game's going to be like, but also to catch any bugs in the battle system early. Compared to LS they were much more rigorously rewritten, so there's more potential for errors. Please post any errors or oddities you notice in the game, since at this point I can still fix it.

In-game screenshot:

Regular battles:

War battles:

HELP

There will be an in-game help section in the final game, but it's far from finished so it's still disabled in the demo. I'll explain the essentials here; you'll have to find out the rest yourself.

Controls
F1: Change controls/video settings. This is not very intuitive. You can map a set of game buttons to a number of keyboard keys. The buttons that are used in the game are:
- C: Confirm
- B: Cancel
- L/R: Pageup/pagedown in menus
Alt+Enter: Switch to full-screen

Bribe system
- Random encounters can be avoided by pressing cancel and paying a certain amount of money.
- When an encounter is triggered, the amount required shows up on top of the screen. You get a few seconds to hit cancel, otherwise the battle begins.

Battles
- The row at the bottom shows the current turn order
- MP starts at 0 and increases each turn (the value with which it increases is the MP+ stat)
- If you have X copies of a magic spell, it means it can be used X times each battle, independent of who uses it.
- After battle, remaining MP and remaining healing spells are automatically used to heal.
- Relation effects give a stat boost when the appropriate character is in the active party. A gives the highest boost, C the lowest. When such a character dies, the boost increases.
- Characters, enemies and spells have an element. Opposing elements cause more damage, same elements cause lower damage. The opposing elements are Light (cyan) and Dark (deep purple), Fire (red) and Ice (white), and Water (blue) and Lightning (yellow). Regular physical attacks always use the attacker's own element.

War battles
- Number of men is like HP. Also, the amount of men directly determines how much damage the unit can do.
- The attack value increases the amount of damage done. The defence value decreases the amount of damage received.
- At the end of the battle you are awarded a score based on three variables. Speed is how many turns you took to beat the mission. Efficiency is reduced for each unit you lose. Power is reduced for each enemy unit still alive at the end.

DOWNLOAD LINKS
A few mirrors would be appreciated again.

Mirror 1
Mirror 2 (Thanks informationhigh)

Like LS, the game uses the MS Gothic font (although it doesn't display a warning if you don't have it. It just defaults to Courier New). You can get the font here if you don't have it yet.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

Potch
Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Awesome! Any word on when the final project may be done? Or is it more of a 'whenever he finishes it' sort of deal? ^^ Either way, the demo looks quite cool, I'm in the middle of downloading it right now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Geddoe

Eyepatches of the Faith

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ooh. I got stuck on Last Scenario [it's what happens when you don't pimp level your characters] but this game looks waaaay more interesting! I can't wait for a finished version of it!

Silver Wind

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Looks interesting. I think I might give it a try sometime.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

Potch
Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've finished the demo, and officially want more! It really was quite awesome. I can see the Suikoden influence in it-- really made me remember fondly of Suikoden II, with the War Battle. It really looks like it will be a terrific game. Keep us posted on its development, Shad.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

Potch
Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil-galad wrote:
I've finished the demo, and officially want more! It really was quite awesome. I can see the Suikoden influence in it-- really made me remember fondly of Suikoden II, with the War Battle. It really looks like it will be a terrific game. Keep us posted on its development, Shad.

Yes, that first screen shot looks as if he tooks the trees and ground from Suikoden II.
Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That would be because he did sir. Most of the tile sets are taken from Suikoden 2. A lot of the music is from the Suikoden series as well. (You'll also notice plenty of Xenogears and Chrono Trigger and Cross, and a bit of Final Fantasy Tactics as I recall.)

As for questions about when it will come out, he took a year or better with his prior to projects, but considering this is a remake so a lot of the groundwork is already established, I'm hoping we'll see it in maybe six to eight months. That's a completely random guess though. I'd have to ask him for a fair assessment.
AA

Spears of the Sand

Potch
Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I just finished the demo, it feels like Suikoden in a way, but thats obviously because of the tiles used to make the game, i also noticed their is room for a six man party, that is always fun.

I want the full game now damn it!

*goes to the corner to sulk*
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

Potch
Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I know this is a bit late, but I decided to download and play Exit Fate. It's quite fun. How is the progress on the final version coming?

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

Potch
Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I hear he just released a few new screen shots, last week. However, I too am curious of how the final project progresses. If my timing is right, he should be nearing completiong within the upcoming months.

Shad

Midnight

Potch
Soldiers
38 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He says it's probably not quite half done at this point and there's no projected time to finish it - it will be completed when it's completed. I suspect it will be finished some time in late 2008, but I don't know really.

The new stuff I've seen so far looks pretty awesome though.
MMan9000

Animal Rangers

Potch
Soldiers
400 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Alrighty, thank you. I knew I shouldn't have downloaded the demo. Now this is all I can think about. If only there was some way I could play the old edition.

Official Smoke Bomb User

Space For Rent. Contact Me for Details
Leb

Pizza Toppings

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's alright, I suppose. I don't mean in the sense of production values of course, but in the choice of music and dialogue.

For the former, it's very silly to have the battle results theme from Chrono Cross. Using music from an assortment of games is perfectly fine, but when the title theme from a well-known video game series is in the song... He may as well had just used the Final Fantasy battle results theme. He also chose some of the more annoying town themes from Suikoden V.

For the latter, some of the story is nonsensical and trite, and then other parts are just lifted from Suikoden. Yes yes, inspiration aside, if you're going to draw a ton of themes from Suikoden, just make it a Suikoden.

On the positive, the difficulty is perfectly tuned for regular battles (except for perhaps regular enemies' HP). The war battle was easy as hell to score a perfect on, but that happened to be the one that all the characters talked about as being the easy part.

In any case, it's an amusing time-killer. I ended up modifying the game to make it more Suikodenish, though.
Kain

Desert Claw

Potch
Soldiers
1196 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

man , this awesome. i will try it if i have some time..

Valence Turmeil

Potch
Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Great game, have to ask, you used your own script to make the war battle right?

Was it hard making that script?

Valence Turmeil
The Protectors of the Crimson Deep
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Advertisements & Fun Links All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: