Suikoden Utopian and Inspirational Kraalesque Ontic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Satan`s ship? Something strange in S3...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Satan`s ship? Something strange in S3... Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hello, everyone. I`m new to this fine site, but I post a bit on the GameFAQs Suikoden boards now and again. Anyway, I discovered something weird when replaying S3. I was doing the sidequest with the Vinay del Zexay kids in Hugo`s chapter 1, and was browsing through the menus when I got into Elliot`s status screen. It said that his reason for joining was to find "Satan`s ship". I`ve taken a picture as well, so you can see what I mean. What`s up with that? And I`m sorry if this is old, but I haven`t heard about it before. Was this in the Japanese version? Explanations would be appreciated...

Picture URL: http://home.online.no/~kithorge/Satanship.JPG

The Dark Ones Own Luck

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
15000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmmm, I never noticed that before. That is strange! I'd guess that it was just a mess up in the translation but I really have no idea.

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The reason Melville is so fixated on the cave is because Billy claimed to have found a boatload of treasure there (when I say "boatload", I mean it quite literally). However, the closest boat to there is the smuggling ship that crashed into Budehuc, and we all know that there's no treasure on that damned thing.

So, either Billy was lying, or the ship sank. Or, who knows? Maybe he was talking about that ship, and he stole all of the treasure before the residents found it.
Deleted User 1

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What he meant was: Why is it called SATAN'S ship? They never describe it as that when they're talking in the game.
Archangel

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Also, why would the name Satan even exist in a world that, as far as we know, Christianity doesn't exist in.
Saben

The High Order of Order

11153 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe you need to go back to pirate mythology and linguistics in order to understand it? Perhaps "Satan's Ship" was the name given to an unusually large booty (I mean treasure by that, not the other modern day meaning). I'm sure a resident pirate expert might be able to clarify things.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vextor

11326166 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'd check out my Japanese version to see what it was, but my sister has my copy so I'm out of luck.
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

@Saben: That would actually make sense...perhaps that`s it. I tried to google "Satan`s Ship", but I didn`t find anything. But it`s the best explanation I`ve seen so far.

It`d be nice if someone else with the Japanese version had the patience to check it...I wonder if it`s there. Perhaps the whole thing is some sort of inside joke from the American localization team...

14500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think the ship was supposed to be some kind of ghost or phantom ship the way that Melville initially treated it. Of course, it was just the ship at Budehuc, but Billy might have originally embellished the story a bit. I think the whole Satan's Ship business was just supposed to give the ship a sense of mysticism.
Ted

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If i remember right, detective Kidd was use also a word "satanic" when he try to solve the case of murdered duck in Duck Village. Maybe there is no anything deep meaning that "satan" word in Suikoden, it's just a some humorous pull from Konami, i believe so. Of course satan is very strong word too and it can be meaning something demonic in the world of Suikoden.
Gwendal

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hmm...I noticed Kidd saying that myself earlier today, when I picked him up to increase my chances of getting Fury runes. Still, there`s not much about the ship being demonic or anything, apart from the ghost ship theory. Perhaps it`s called "Satan`s" ship because it causes so much trouble for Melville & co.?

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wait, wait. He's curious about why it's called that? Oh.

I'm sure it's "Satan's" ship because of how mysterious it is-- just like "haunted" ships or whatnot.
Sualtam Lugh

Grey of Macha

56109 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or you know maybe they neglected to think about that and just decided that Satan was an ok word to use since we would all understand it. I'm sure Satan is a word is another language. So it probably wasn't created on the basis of a religion. Although it is using that meaning to the word.
Glen Cott

Yellow Knights of the Dukedom

8112 Potch
1 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was probably originally "Devil ship" or something, and just translated badly.
Vextor

11326166 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, "Satan" comes from Hebrew, and means "adversary." It originally didn't refer to any concrete being at all in the Jewish Bible (The Tanakh), but centuries of misinterpretation tuend "Satan" into a character. The word "Satan" is used in Numbers when an angel stands in front of Balaam as "Satan" or as his adversary. The angel wasn't evil or anything, but he stood in front of Balaam as an adversary.

Anyhow, the Japanese was probably, "Devil's ship," because there is no word in Japanese for Satan, unless they romanized "Satan" into Japanese, which I severely doubt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: