Suikoden Uncouth and Irrational Kibbutz Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Sweeney Todd
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Sweeney Todd Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is one of the most exciting movies for me for this Winter. It's a movie adaptation of the somewhat horror style musical Sweeney Todd. The movie adaptation is starring Johnny Depp, which I have mixed feelings about. He matches the character of Sweeney Todd perfectly, I cannot think of a better actor to act the part. However, the leading role also has one of the hardest Baritone parts ever written in a modern musical. It's quite difficult, which makes me wonder how in the hell Johnny Depp is going to pull that off. My only explanation is that they'll have someone else do the singing for him, which would be odd.

If you've never seen, heard, or even heard of Sweeney Todd before-- check out a clip of the stage production here: Sweeney Todd - Epiphany

Keep an eye out for a trailer some time soon. They recently released promotional posters:

Last edited by Gil-galad on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm yet to miss a Johnny Depp movie, and this will be no exception. After dealing with Pirates, I'm glad to see him go back to another movie like this. I'm off to wikipedia to learn more about who the man was though.

Divine Judgement

777674 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Innnnnnteresting....

I will be sure to look out for the trailer, and the poster looks awesome! :D

78881 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Huh. First I've heard of this.

I share the same thoughts as you on Depp, only I've never heard him sing so who knows maybe he'll be good.

More importantly, who is Mrs. Lovett?

YES. YES IT CAN.

"Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming." -- Myrna Loy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mrs. Lovett is played by Helena Bonham Carter (what do you expect, it IS a Tim Burton film). I think she looks a little too much like Bellatrix, but I cannot wait for this film.

Sweeney has always been one of my favorite musicals. And I would bet that Depp does his own singing. Movie musicals in the 60s used to dub voices all the time, but most modern movie musicals require the actors to sing themselves. Chicago, Hairspray, Across the Universe, all had the actors do their own singing. Maybe Depp has vocal training. Many actors have other skills you would never guess.

Amusing side note. When I saw Beowulf last weekend, there was a bunch of guys sitting next to us who seemed to be really getting into the trailer for Sweeney. There were a lot of gasps and general pleased reactions to the blood and the plot, but as soon as Depp did the little bit of singing he does in the trailer, they audibly groaned and said, "Aw man!" Buncha savages in this town.

Confused Chaquita Banana Minions

464538 Potch
425 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Saw the preview for this today when I went to see Beowulf with my boyfriend (like Wataru).

I do believe that Depp will be doing the singing as well. At least he's not tone deaf, unless he can only sing the line, "Drink up, me hearties! Yo-ho!"

"And as the lion slaughters man, I am the wolf and you're the lamb." ~Blind Guardian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Calvin

Legions of Zontar-Killers

817540 Potch
25 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was able to catch the trailer for this film a little while ago when I went to the movies--I can't remember what movie I went to see though. It looks very interesting. You can definitely tell that its directed by Tim Burton.

In the trailer though, Depp's character seemed to me to have a similar type of speech to Captain Jack Sparrow, which I thought was strange.

I changed the number on my phone so you can't call me up at home, and you can't say those
things to me, that make me fall down on my knees.

Wataru

The Light Fantastic

59113 Potch
0 Soldiers
515589 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Wow, I saw Beowulf with your boyfriend? I musta missed it! Unless you meant I watched Beowulf with my boyfriend. If only. Sigh...

Custodiae Corvi

4092785 Potch
200 Soldiers
20 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gil should be excited by this post.

Opening credits for Sweeney Todd

Prince Geass Falenas

2324315 Potch
1337 Soldiers
3028000 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah This is sooooo on my "movies I want to watch" list~
I don't really have an opinion on Johnny Depp being the main character of this (although I have to admit when I first saw the ads I thought it was kinda funny he went from being a pirate to doing this sort of movie)

But it's a Tim Burton film! I rather like checking out Tim Burton's films~! :o

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
iscalio

1681589 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tullaryx wrote:
Opening credits for Sweeney Todd

Nice.
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

New York (I think) Film Critics Association named the movie one of the top 10 of the year, and also awarded Tim Burton with the honor of "Best Director" and Johnny Depp with a nomination for the honor of "Best Actor". Seems like the movie truly is quite terrific, despite my reservations on Depp's singing ability. I really, really want to see this.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shrew

The All-Star Rock n' Breakdance Electronic Band from Shenzhen

237023 Potch
110 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

From what I've heard, Depp does fine because he doesn't need to worry about projecting. In other words, he'd be a bad lead in a show, but he works well in a film.

Anyway, I don't know much about this play, but it's about a barber who kills people and sings? That works for me. Burton doesn't hurt either.

And I think you're thinking of the National Board of Review stuff Gil. NYFC liked No Country for Old Men and the Coens.

I like how dark this year's Oscar noms are gearing up to be. Everything's death, blood, death. Which means Juno will probably win just to save everyone from the bad things.

Fear our Vagueness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OFF TOPIC-- I think that French movie about that paralyzed author might just take the cake because of the fact that you mention, all the best American movies are blood, death, and gore, and the Academy rarely goes for that. Juno may just take it, though, but I doubt it will because it's not 'serious' enough.

I figured it was New York Film Critics, because they usually like to favor musicals, especially one like Sweeney Todd which is an all-time Broadway favorite. I think you're correct, though. I think it was the National Board of Review.

Burton + Depp + one of the coolest musicals of all time = something that's shaping to be the highlight of the holiday season.

AA

Spears of the Sand

366104 Potch
200 Soldiers
3121 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I cannot wait for this film, Burton + Deep + musical = Ultimate Win! I saw the trailer when i went to watch American Gangster and i nearly wet my self with excitement (although it might have been the large sprite i drank too). I have a feeling it is going to be like a live action version of Corpse Bride in the way it is present, all very cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: