Suikoden Uncouth and Infamous Kosher Orgazmic Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden Geography Lesson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Excellently conditioned soldiers could easily traverse the distance I stated if need be. Especially in a time when marching was the THE way to move your military forces. We're only talking a five day march at most here. It's simply not as difficult as some people seem to think.

SARSadmin said they could cover more than 40 kilometres a day, but surely the Harmonian soldiers need to rest and eat and drink, right? What's the point of rushing to the battlefield but are than unable to fight properly due to exhaustion. Surely, they must have camped at least 2 times, right? Even if they have horses, most of the Harmonian soldiers in Suiko 3 are infantry. Maybe they ride transportation vehicles like carriages and chariots, right? Carriages and chariots are the APCs and trucks of ancient and medieval times.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Carriages and chariots were never used for transport of troops en-masse. Chariots went out of style as advances in technology and military strategy made them useless in battle, and carriages were reserved for the rich and powerful. Soldiers marched by foot , often even until WW II.

Also, all of the Harmonian soldiers that attacked as far as the Duck Village/Brass Castle were summoned monsters made to look like Harmonian soldiers, so they most likely didn't need to march or get tired.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes, they camp and eat, so? That doesn't change the five day march into an impossibility.

The odds are they march, as horses and carraiges take extra maintence along with feeding troops. The only officers who would travel by horseback would be cavalrymen as well as commanding officers. Infantry, archers and the like would not be allocated horses.

2 miles an hour is a fair estimate to make for a military march based on various statistics stemming from comparable military forces in our history. The army would most likely march for 12 hours per day, again in comparison to other statistics.

That's approx. 24 miles a day, probably more, keeping in mind that my estimation of travel time is actually under-powered. Meaning that the Harmonian can very much concievably reach Kayara Village within five days and maybe within four if it was a 'forced' march.

And considering that to attack the Kayara Village, all that is needed is an advanced cavalry unit rather than the full brunt of the Harmonian Army, then it's, indeed, even MORE plausible that Kayara could be sacked within five days of leaving Caleria.

EDIT: And, of course, this is IGNORING, that the forces which sacked Kayara were in fact, as SARSadmin just pointed out, inhuman monsters, probably with similarly inhuman stamina and strength.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually you can ignore that fact. Real Harmonian soldiers made the same hike fifty years previously, did they not? They had to get there at some point, even if they were there for a long time, but their initial invasion required such a march. They probably had to march some even to get to Caleria, since it was part of the army, not the Border Defense Force or whatever it's called.
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I see. Now i understand why. Probably i based my assumption that the Harmonians have to camp based on Suiko 2, in which the Highland Army had to camp a couple of times in the game. This proves that the entire nation of Dunan is several times larger than the Grasslands. I also now know that probably most of the Harmonian troops involved in the Grassland invasion in Suiko 3 are illusions created by Sarah.

I hope someone here makes a map-scale for Suiko 3's map or including Dunan and Toran's regions, so we all get to understand the size of the various nations we all have encountered in the games.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is one. It's right here on the site :p The battle map uses it, in fact - if you look closely, the dots representing locations on the suikoden map can be found on the suikox battle map.
Seraphym

The Blue Rogues

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

None of the games had Falena included. It is only mentioned, and is said to be located south of the Island Nations.

This may be a stupid question, but why is everything located to the south of something? The Island Nations to the south of Harmonia. Falena to the south of the Island Nations. Is Falena an arctic nation? What is this planet called that all the Suikodens take place on? Is it a round planet or flat? If it is round, will they eventually come up with nations on the other side of it?

Okay, so that was a stupid lot of questions. Thanks a ton!

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This may be a stupid question, but why is everything located to the south of something?

Everything is either north or south of something unless it's at the very top or very bottom, that's how everything works.

Is Falena an arctic nation?

Nothing suggests it and I highly doubt it. Besides, it's in the south, it'd be an antartic nation, if it was true. It's probably not.

What is this planet called that all the Suikodens take place on?

It doesn't have a name as far as we know.

Is it a round planet or flat?

Unknown at present. The people seem to believe it's flat but then so did we about our own planet.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Thief

Truth

213998 Potch
200 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seraphym wrote:
This may be a stupid question, but why is everything located to the south of something? The Island Nations to the south of Harmonia. Falena to the south of the Island Nations.

It is strange, isn't it? There is little mention of east and west in the series (or northeast, southwest, etc for that matter). And, if we look at the world map speculation on this site, the locations are all condensed vertically with endless sea on both sides of the map.

I'd consider the introduction of the Western Continent (in Suikoden III) would create more interest in the horizontal expansion of our view on Suikoden world, but sadly it hasn't been given much attention by neither the developer nor the fandom.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was under assuption that Suiko III's Map was to scale. And given that Caleria fits on the map, It couldn't be THAT far. I figure that the distance from (using a ruler) Vinay Del Zexay to Brass Castle is SLIGHTLY less than the Distance from Brass Castle to Karaya. (All of this is as the crow flies, not by path) Now I take that same distance Vinay Del Zexay to Karaya) and point it from Karaya to Caleria and Caleria falls short.

Now, Given that in Hugo's scenario he must go to Brass Castle and Vinay Del Zexay in a matter of a few days, and that by measurement Caleria (as the crow flies) is closer to Karaya than Vinay Del Zexay, it's not unfathomable for an entire army to travel it in a 3 day span.

Now factor in that they aren't crows and you add a bit of distance making the trip from Karaya to Vinay Del Zexay even longer, and the Caleria-Karaya route becomes slightly longer, but still considerably shorter than Karaya-Vinay.

Placing a number where no numbers were given is a hard estimate. So, I can't really say difinitively any number. But I'm to assume the distance from Karaya to Caleria is closer than that of Karaya to Vinay Del Zexay.

Note: Factoring in the slopes of the mountains surrounding Caleria will most certainly add milage, another reason its impossible to put numbers to this. Dispite the terrain, i stand by my assumptions that Caleria is closer to Karaya than Vinay Del Zexay.

Also, using a quote "it took me X days to get here" from the game (can't remember such a quote, but there were so many aimless people about the game I can't remember them all) is not a reliable way to figure it out either. You have no idea what pace he went, how long he rested when or if he did (though 3 straight days of travelling is crazy) Also if he had to take any detours or had to go around obstacles. Also, dispite not showing it much, weather is a factor too. Rain will considerable shorten the amount one can travel.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Kraze

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I didnt want to make a new thread for this but I just think that on this map:
http://www.suikox.com/geo/map.html
The grassland is way too far from Tinto who is supposed to have war with Grassland and Greenhill who is supposed to have wars with the Karaya clan.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Both Tinto and the Grasslands are a lot bigger than shown in their respective games.
Acheron

Stonewall Brigade

172597 Potch
200 Soldiers
1325 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Can I safely assume that the current battle map that SARS uses for the war game was accurate with general outlines of size of each nation, based loosely on how cloes together or far apart their regions were? Like Jowston small, Harmonia big and so on. Yes I do realize the current look fo the battle map isn't what it started out as and I said considering that this is before all the territories got shuffled and fought over.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Leb

Pizza Toppings

497133 Potch
936 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

For the unofficial regions, I'm don't think the map was created with any logic behind it. Simply make what fits best, and what doesn't go directly against what Konamy has said about the geography (Harmonia is huge, so, naturally, it should be larger than the Jowston or Dunan regions).
jowy

ASHRAF

6500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

in wich game will haramonia will be reaveled
come on in all suikoden they spoke of and haramonia haven't appeared this sucks and that man hikusaak he is the big mystery of suikoden i hope he will be in s5 and i think the 5 will be a great game
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: