Suikoden Utopian and Illegal Karma Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Suikoden Geography Lesson
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rincewind

Architect of the Pass - Phoenix Regiment

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Suikoden Geography Lesson Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've played Suikoden 1-3, and am currently working on 4. I can't recall for the life of me where the Queendom of Falena is. Which game was this from?
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

None of the games had Falena included. It is only mentioned, and is said to be located south of the Island Nations.
Ted

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

South? Is that so? I'm always think, that it is somewhere in east. East from Toran and Island Nations. I was wrong then.

I have high expectations, that next part of Suikoden locates in Falena. We'll see.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It was generally considered to be east, but seeing as we had never seen it, Konami really had a clean slate regarding where to put it, so it kind of shifted around a bit.

It's confirmed to be south now, a tip of it is visible on the Suikoden IV maps.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think i saw it on the map as well. It has been already shifted to the south of the Island Nations and will most likely stay there for the rest of the game. Though it hasn't appeared in any game yet, it is said that it will be soon. You'll get the information you need when the time comes, but for now, you should go check the map provided by SARSadmin in the war system...

Rincewind

Architect of the Pass - Phoenix Regiment

1500 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the next game, or maybe Harmonia. Here is what I noticed.

Suikoden 1: When you were raiding the on fort, the one that belongs to the general before the female general, they bring up how the City States of Jowstone are gonna be coming soon. Next game, you are in Jowestone.

Suikoden 2: Lucia from Karaya/ Grasslands. In the next Suikoden you where there.

Suikoden 3: A dog that opens doors. Seriously, was there any mention of the island nations in Suikoden 3?
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since this thread is about Suiko's geography, then can you guys be able to draw a map scale for Suiko 3's map?( the Zexen/Grasslands area )

Can you guys estimate the distance between Karaya Village and Caleria in miles or kilometres?

I would like to know how close is Harmonia to the Grasslands 8) .
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Beethoven4567 wrote:
Since this thread is about Suiko's geography, then can you guys be able to draw a map scale for Suiko 3's map?( the Zexen/Grasslands area )

Can you guys estimate the distance between Karaya Village and Caleria in miles or kilometres?

I would like to know how close is Harmonia to the Grasslands 8) .

Good golly, I can try but I'll have little to work on that really vauge estimations like "it took me x days to travel" from other characters and then using that to estimate a distance between two places and using that to estimate the Caleria/Karaya distance.

It'll take me a bit and it won't be that accurate but I'll give it a shot.

UPDATE: Through a extremely flimsy and not at all logic process, which is so darn full of holes I'm not even going the post how I arrived at this number (I got better things to do that be laughed at by you, buddy, yeah you.), I've come up with a first estimation on the approximate distance between Caleria, in Harmonia and the Kayara Village of the Grasslands.

That estimation, ladies and gentlemen, is approx. 120 miles (or 193 kilometers) give or take a few miles.

Expect this result to vary wildly as I struggle to get a more accurate formula down.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

[quote]
UPDATE: Through a extremely flimsy and not at all logic process, which is so darn full of holes I'm not even going the post how I arrived at this number (I got better things to do that be laughed at by you, buddy, yeah you.), I've come up with a first estimation on the approximate distance between Caleria, in Harmonia and the Kayara Village of the Grasslands.

That estimation, ladies and gentlemen, is approx. 120 miles (or 193 kilometers) give or take a few miles.

120 MILES??!! :shock: That's a very long distance, considering that in Suiko 3 the Harmonian army marched all the way to the eastern entrance of Brass Castle.
So John, are you saying that the Harmonian soldiers would have to march more than 200 kilometres to reach Brass Castle? That could need a lot of provisions and camping for such a large army over that distance.

Personally though, i thought the distance between Caleria and Karaya Village, is probably 50-80 kilometres. Can other guys here come up with more logical and accurate estimates, based on the Harmonian invasion in Suiko 3? Me and John Layfield here find it difficult to estimate.

Knowing about the map scales of Suikoden 3 could give us a good idea how many times the Harmonian army would have to camp in Suiko 3. Surely they couldn't have just marched 200 kilometres or 3-4 days without camping at least 3 times, futher extending the campaign to 10-20 days?
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In many wars in history, armies marched more than 40 kilometers in one day. People in ancient times tended to be able to walk a lot longer distances than we do, because walking was the only method of transportation for most of them. So walking 200 kilometers would not have been that god-awful, especially for soldiers (who would either be forced to march, or have the necessary constitution).
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That sounds not at all inappropriate to me, so I am very curious how you came up with it. Perhaps you could PM me? :) I promise I won't laugh; I'm really quite interested in the idea, myself.

Also, minor request, if you have to add more to a post significantly later, can you add a new post? I only saw the update because someone else commented on it; I would have missed the update entirely if not for Beethoven posting ^_^
Captain Hero

Forsaken Elites

194469 Potch
361 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SARSadmin wrote:
In many wars in history, armies marched more than 40 kilometers in one day. People in ancient times tended to be able to walk a lot longer distances than we do, because walking was the only method of transportation for most of them. So walking 200 kilometers would not have been that god-awful, especially for soldiers (who would either be forced to march, or have the necessary constitution).

Walking a very long distance while carrying their heavy armors. It's really a possibility, and I agree with SARSadmin, that people of the old ages could walk from one country to another, and might even have the stamina to walk a longer distance if their armors were removed. these are the typical supermen (it was common for them to walk long distances so no one would be considered as a "superman" :P).

Quote:
So John, are you saying that the Harmonian soldiers would have to march more than 200 kilometres to reach Brass Castle? That could need a lot of provisions and camping for such a large army over that distance.

I'm not John, but I want to say something... hehe (S3 Spolier) those weren't real soldiers at all, so they wouldn't really feel tired after walking 200 kilometers. But if you played Rome: Total War, soldiers are either riding a horse or walking since that's their only way of transportation. If they have enough horses, they wouldn't need to walk at all. Harmonian soldiers, if they are trained heavily, must be able to produce enough energy to walk and fight.

Quote:

Suikoden 1: When you were raiding the on fort, the one that belongs to the general before the female general, they bring up how the City States of Jowstone are gonna be coming soon. Next game, you are in Jowestone.

Suikoden 2: Lucia from Karaya/ Grasslands. In the next Suikoden you where there.

Suikoden 3: A dog that opens doors. Seriously, was there any mention of the island nations in Suikoden 3?

I never noticed this, I was just too ignorant. :P But I played S3 a couple of times, and there was no mention of anything S4 related. Maybe soemthing about the past was mentioned, I have a poor memory. :(

VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think i agree with SARSadmin as well. Soldiers in ancient times are only limited to walking or horse riding. Konami may have already surfaced this information and applied it. So John Layfield's estimate may not be to farfetched. It could have been possible for them to walk continuousl for 3 days just to get there. Wit h proper training, of course... (I'm reminded of Anna's running training program in Shaman King...) They must have carried lots of weights and practiced walking miles just to train...

Even though, i did think that the distance was only less than 120km, I think it would be feasible to say that. This just proves how us modern people can no longer do what ou ancestors did... the drive to walk LONG distances.

Beethoven4567

Sacred Guards

39804 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Even though, i did think that the distance was only less than 120km, I think it would be feasible to say that. This just proves how us modern people can no longer do what ou ancestors did... the drive to walk LONG distances.

I agree with that. The distance between Caleria and Karaya Village is probably 80 kilometres or less, with the mountain pass linking Caleria to the Grasslands probably 40-60 kilometres long.

Anyway, if anybody creates a Suiko 3 map with a map scale, please PM me, i would love to see it. 8)
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Excellently conditioned soldiers could easily traverse the distance I stated if need be. Especially in a time when marching was the THE way to move your military forces. We're only talking a five day march at most here. It's simply not as difficult as some people seem to think.

However, I am of course open to any calculated results anyone else has made to the contrary. Under no circumstances do I find my estimation to be fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Culture & Geography Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: