Suikoden Utopian and Irrational Kosher Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Most loved sports on Suikox?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Most famous Loved Sports In suikox?
Football (Soccer)
29%
 29%  [ 12 ]
Basketball
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Volleyball
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Football (American)
31%
 31%  [ 13 ]
Ice Hockey
14%
 14%  [ 6 ]
Cricket
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Baseball
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Rugby
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Handball
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Others
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 41

SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Freddy Adu is leaving DC United to go play for another MLS team in Utah i believe. I forget the name of the team at the moment.

Jossef

Beshennye Berserki

95809 Potch
200 Soldiers
23 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My sport of choice is "SAWKER". It's a sport I've always been interested in and still follow to a certain degree. I only really follow Scottish football, the European tournaments and certain national SAWKER events such as the European Cup and the World Cup.

Over-Enthusiastic Archaeologists

1333002 Potch
444 Soldiers
440 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

DC United? Are we talking football? Er, soccer? If so, Real Salt Lake would be the team.

My vote was "other" because the "sports" I prefer are the sort that people don't usually watch.
Traditional Martial arts for one, and my other favs are figure skating, horseback riding, roller blading and cross-country skiing. Oh, and hiking. But I dunno if all of those would be considered sports...

Proud Owner and Operator of The Hiccup's Speciality Grassland Atelier, the only place to find Electric Whiffle Bats!
glen

Drunking soldiers are us!!

6390 Potch
428 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Football(American) is the best sport going so far follow by the MMA and by NASCAR and then by Hockey.

But the MMA is getting pretty close to taking over as number one if they keep on putting on great fights.

But for now it's American(Football) is the best so far.
RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My favorite sport is American Football. It is the best sport in the United States easily. It is most definitely the most popular here. Second would be Basketball or Baseball.

The allure I have to football is the strategy and the way the game is played. Every game I watch is always full of strategy of offense versus defense. Because there are downs, each play has potential for excitement. My problem with other games like Soccer, Basketball and such is those games rely on a tempo. Its beyond repetative and gets boring very quickly. The exception to this is Hockey because of the small rink and the time to go from one side of the rink to the other is seconds allowing intensity to rise quickly. Hockey is a very exciting sport to watch.

Soccer would be thousands times better if the field wasn't so large and we didn't see 1-0 scores all the time. Hockey used to suffer from this and they changed the rules a bit and now its a lot better and more intense. Another peeve I have with Soccer in the United States is we seem to be forced to use terminology that in our nation makes no sense. When I see the score 1-0 I sat "One to Zero" not "One to Nil" I'm not cool with Nil. Also, when they score a goal, why is it that the announcer has to scream GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALALALALALALALALALALALALALAAAAAAAAAA!? When Albert Pujols hits a home rune we all don't scream "Home Rununununununununuuuu!" I understand the excitement, I really do. When the World Cup was going on, I watched the games and when the US scored I actually leapt around and hoo-hollered. I was really into it, but thats because its the World Cup. The big show. Its the same feeling as scoring a Touchdown in the Superbowl or a Grand Slam in the World Series. But for a regular season matchup that means as much to their season as Week 4 in the NFL, I can't justify all the hollering about. Meh, maybe its just my distaste for bland soccer.

Second is Baseball. As much as Hockey has grown on me since my Sabres have actually become contenders, Baseball was my childhood and my lost love. I grew up watching baseball. Guys like Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, Ryne Sandberg, Rickey Henderson, Nolan Ryan and Greg Maddux were my heroes. I can't name 5 plyers in the NFL from the late 80's early 90s. At least not any non-Bills players. My favorite team of all time is, and always will be, the Atlanta Braves. Regardless of their win-loss status. I'm getting used to them not dominating. I'll be with them in 3 years when they're not even competing for a penant too. Nothing that has been done in baseball has made me lose interest either. Every season I follow baseball just as intently as I follow Football. I'm actually going to New York to attend a Mets-Braves game in 2 weeks. This is probably going to be the highlight of my life thus far because of my love for the game and the Braves. Mets would hav e to be my second favorite team in the NL too, so I won't be severly broken if they lose.

ESPN seems hellbent now to show the bad side of spots. In any given moment you can turn it on and you'll see analysts talking about Michael Vick and his alleged dogfighting ties, Barry Bonds and the steroid asterisk scandal, David Stern and the referee who has been caught fixing games for some sort of mafia, Terrell Owens, Pacman Jones and anything else that casts a negative light on sports. If there's any reason for me to stop liking sports, its because I'm tired of hearing all the bad stuff. Why can't they focus on the greatness of them?

Bah, that was a bit off topic, but there's nowhere else for me to vent.

1. Football
2. Baseball
3. Hockey
4. Basketball
5. Tennis

And real quick, I know I'm the minority on this but I don't consider NASCAR or Formula-1 a sport. I understand the endurance it takes to drive a complete race. I understand the skill involved, however I don't see racing, in general, a sport. Its a competition, but not a sport.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Im going to have to disagree with you on the strategy part red. While I do agree that American Football may use more strategy than most other sports that does not mean that Soccer and Basketball do not use strategy. In soccer strategy is a crucial part of the setup of the game. IE the setup of the offensive and defensive line and how many to have in each line as there are many variances of it. Also, there are strategies on corner kicks which are always a crucial time for both teams as it is an easy access to score. The offensive have various offensive tactics they can use that would have them better able to work together as a cohesive unit and achieve their goal of getting a goal and even the defense has tactics of how to defend. one strategy being the defense stays way up for the chance of the other teams offense being caught offsides, relinquishing the offense of the possession of the ball. Even basketball has strategy to it. While they may not have as much strategy as American Football, it is still there.

/rant

RedCydranth

Ice Dragons

3650446 Potch
194 Soldiers
100 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Where'd I say Soccer had no strategy? Same with basketball. I said my problem with Soccer was its slow tempo. Half of the game is a guy running around somewhere in the middle of the field passing it to his team mate where the other team tries to intercept, usually successful and passes it to one of his team mates where a defender there intercepts it. It seems that in any given game of soccer there's no more than 5 or 6 real scoring opportunities. This is the epitome of boredom when a game is 90 minutes. Basketball is definitely strategic. I played basketball in school, so I know all about its strategy. However that game has non-stop scoring. There's little to get excited over when all that matters is the last 5 minutes of a game. Why do they bother playing 4 quarters of basketball when it always comes down to which team plays better in the 4th quarter. Unless one team is so dominant in the first 3 quarters that a lead is so insurmountable, the 4th quarter of a basketball game is the only one that matters. I always see games that are scored 89-91 or 102-103. A matter of one or two scores is the difference. The entire sport becomes boring when its only the last moments of a game that are watchable.

Baseball is different. While yes it is slow paced, and can be boring, at any given inning, a team can rally and score many runs. This happens all the time. Most innings in baseball are scoreless, but at least a game can be won in the 3rd inning if your team has good pitching and defense and shuts the opponent out the rest of the game. If you tune into the game during the 8th or 9th inning only, you, chances are, have missed most of the action in the game. Not true in basketball.

I'll defend soccer on one front though. It is definitely very fun to play. I played soccer when I was younger as well, and was very fond of playing it. But those watching had to be bored off their arses.

Fantasy Football (NFL) Sign Ups in Sports Forum!
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
Where'd I say Soccer had no strategy? Same with basketball. I said my problem with Soccer was its slow tempo. Half of the game is a guy running around somewhere in the middle of the field passing it to his team mate where the other team tries to intercept, usually successful and passes it to one of his team mates where a defender there intercepts it. It seems that in any given game of soccer there's no more than 5 or 6 real scoring opportunities. This is the epitome of boredom when a game is 90 minutes. Basketball is definitely strategic. I played basketball in school, so I know all about its strategy. However that game has non-stop scoring. There's little to get excited over when all that matters is the last 5 minutes of a game. Why do they bother playing 4 quarters of basketball when it always comes down to which team plays better in the 4th quarter. Unless one team is so dominant in the first 3 quarters that a lead is so insurmountable, the 4th quarter of a basketball game is the only one that matters. I always see games that are scored 89-91 or 102-103. A matter of one or two scores is the difference. The entire sport becomes boring when its only the last moments of a game that are watchable.

Yes but exciting things can happen when the ball is not close to a goal, that is my view on it anyway. A 0-0 draw can be the most exciting game ever played if both teams play with aggression and creativity. It is also very fluid and there is always something happening and always the threat of the other player.
SolemnSound

Solemn Sound

330634 Potch
100 Soldiers
48 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RedCydranth wrote:
Where'd I say Soccer had no strategy? Same with basketball. I said my problem with Soccer was its slow tempo. Half of the game is a guy running around somewhere in the middle of the field passing it to his team mate where the other team tries to intercept, usually successful and passes it to one of his team mates where a defender there intercepts it. It seems that in any given game of soccer there's no more than 5 or 6 real scoring opportunities. This is the epitome of boredom when a game is 90 minutes.

any shot towards the goal is a scoring opportunity in my opinion and perhaps I am biased towards Soccer as I am a soccer maniac. However, I have been to many soccer games (had season tickets to D.C United all last year) and went to almost every single game I had the time to go to which was most and all of them had more than 6 scoring opportunities (whether that number was just random or an emphasis on your point I am unsure) I just remember in all of the games I went to there were many occasions of excitement and many opportunities to score. Granted that the games rarely reach a point where a team would reach above 2 or 3 goals but thats standard for any soccer match.

I however do agree that playing soccer is a lot more fun than watching it. No denying that at all. But the majority of spectators at least for younger leagues and recreational soccer the spectators are parents, family and friends and they are there to support whoever they are there for and it makes much more enjoyable to watch.

Geddoe-9

The pahtless dude

156000 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:

Handball is on the list

Thats because handball is a team sport not an individual sport
Gil-galad

Flame of the West

2849957 Potch
200 Soldiers
46 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm confused. Being an individual sport, makes you less of a sport? Or did you just intend for this to be poll of Suikox's favorite team sports? If that is the case then my vote was miscast.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Overdose

Space Monkey Punks From Japan

349252 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Being from england my favourite sport is good old football, the one where they actually use their foot in more than 3 situations of a match. Don't get me wrong I do like American Football as I'm a follower of the Baltimore Ravens have been for just under a decade.

Basketball I've not watched in a while so I'm not certain of Orlando Magic's situation currently.

I've never seent he fascination of Nascar as they just seem to drive in a big circle, then again I find it hard to watch any motorsport unless its under 10 laps.

FOREVER X!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
Thats because handball is a team sport not an individual sport

It's a sport, nonetheless. The epitomy of sports is athletics (which isn't on the list, also) and most of them are little individual sports. However it's a sport, or a great combinations of little sports. And cycling should be there as well. That's the only sport I could really call "individual and team" sport, since both parts are equally important.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Scarlet Assassin

Disciples of Death

331436 Potch
0 Soldiers
2442517 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I voted for hockey of course, it's the only sport I watch regularly.

Chief of Beat-em-up Honeys Division, Devoted Protector of Lady Tifa Lockhart
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Felipe

Intelligent Turtle

584845 Potch
1200 Soldiers
500 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like all sports but soccer is the one I love.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: