Suikoden Urgent and Illusional Karma Omniscient Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Early CG TV show gets "ReBoot"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelus

Queen of Falena

579729 Potch
0 Soldiers
2545847 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Early CG TV show gets "ReBoot" Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
"ReBoot," one of the earliest computer-animated episodic TV series, will be redeveloped as a trilogy of feature-length films by Rainmaker Animation.

Originally produced in 1994, the series centered on life within a computer, where good forces fought invading viruses and videogames were viewed from within.

"ReBoot" was created by MainFrame Entertainment, which was acquired by and renamed Rainmaker in 2006. The show aired for several seasons on ABC, YTV and Cartoon Network.

"The idea is to relaunch the brand in a new way," said Rainmaker Animation executive vice president Paul Gertz, who will oversee the project.

To do this, Rainmaker has entered into a strategic alliance with Zeros 2 Heroes, a Web site set to launch Monday (July 23) to provide a social network for comic book fans.

Five undiscovered writers chosen by Rainmaker were selected to work with the animation studio's production teams to prepare a pitch for the new "ReBoot" story line. These will be posted on the Zeros 2 Heroes site Thursday (July 26), the opening day of San Diego Comic-Con International. Those who visit the site will be able to work with each production team to help refine the ideas for "ReBoot" and later vote and select a favorite pitch. The brainstorming environment is what the site calls "Think Ups."

A Web-based comic, based on the selected story, will be published this year. Production on the features will commence at that time.

"'ReBoot's' legions of fans have been incredibly loyal and continue to keep the property alive on dozens of fan sites," Gertz said. "We're very enthusiastic about how we're reconceiving this classic series by creating an innovative way for those fans -- who were kids when the series started -- to use new technology to help guide us."

Zeros 2 Heroes president Matt Toner sees the Internet as a democratizing medium. "It takes away gatekeepers," he said. "We want to connect the fans with the producers ... and let them determine what the next hits will be. When it comes to long-standing genre entertainment properties, the fans are the real experts."

- Source

Oh, nostalgia. I LOVED ReBoot as a child. It was so awesome. The characters are pretty great, the inside jokes are hilarious, and the animation is pretty trippy for that time period. I'm really hoping the movies take after the TV show because it ended on such a terrible cliffhanger, but this "new storyline" nonsense really makes me sad. D:

Jorge Prima wrote:
What? Our pokemon aren't obeying?

When a problem comes along YOU MUST WHIP IT!
Fundertaker

Mountain Stallion Riders

336708 Potch
200 Soldiers
14 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh god. I need to see ReBoot once again. One of my favourite series way back then.

This post is officially Fundertaker Approved
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While I would love to see a continuation of the cliffhanger presented at the end of "My Two Bobs" I've got to say that it, sadly, will likely never be. As you may know, Tony Jay, the actor who provided the voice for Megabyte, died last year and a recast of the role is simply unacceptable as Tony Jay had quite a distinctive voice.

Unfortunately, regardless of which characters they opt to use or the setting of the stories, I am not confident that the "heart" of the show will be recaptured as all of the original creators of the show, the ones who made it so memorable, have since long ago left the company.

Sp, while I've wanted to have more ReBoot material for nearly ten years, I think this is just milking the franchise to death. With that said, however, I'm interested to see what they can come up with.

"You make me smash the clock and feel, I'd rather die behind the wheel.
Time was never on my side, So on I wait my whole lifetime."
Ezekiel

Mediocre Archer

119921 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh wow! I remember this show now. Granted I never really will take the time to watch it if it comes back, I'm still just glad to be reminded of something like this that I've forgotten about.

Mikan weeps for Brady

246380 Potch
175 Soldiers
50 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Much like Mr. House there, I really don't see this working, at least not in a manner that I would find satisfactory. While I was unaware that the voice of Megabyte was dead, I still wouldn't have high hopes for the show. After finding that out, I agree, without that voice, the character just isn't the same. Plus, I'm usually not a fan of trying to revive really old series. The show is some 10 years old, just leave it be.

~Uguu!~
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hold on! Was ReBoot that show with that "Guardian" or whatever his name was that had to protect people from the games? If so, that was freakin' awesome!

I remember we only got one season (not sure if there was another one, but probably was) where this virus was taking over the computer and the Guardian guy got thrown into some portal at the end by the big bad of the series.

Is that right or am I just too vague?

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Tony Stark

War Machine

536068 Potch
250 Soldiers
1600 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No, you are right. Bob was the guardian and he had that cool thing on his arm called "Glitch", I used to have an electronic pocket dictionary back then and I named it Glitch.

I loved that show, and I hope they air at least the original episodes or make them available to me watch.

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You're definitely correct on that one Fluffy.

The ending you described was the season two finale, which marked the end of the series on ABC in the US. For a while, that was all we had until then-Mainframe self financed an awesome third season, featuring sixteen episodes in four four episode arcs, with each arc leading from and feeding into the next.

After the Cartoon Network picked up the show for US distribution, two TV movies were commissioned, though they were also produced in such a way that they could be broken into four episode miniseries. The cliffhanger ending of the second movie was pretty awesome, so it's definitely a shame that it won't be resolved.

There was some brief hope at the time that the series would continue for at least two more seasons, but Cartoon Network wouldn't finance it unless they owned all rights to the property and it's certainly understandable that Mainframe wouldn't want to relinquish their flagship property.

I actually almost didn't get into the show when it first aired because it seemed like "Quick and the Fed" (the one where a magnet messed up Dot, and she needed some 'slow food' from Al's Diner to recover) was the only episode I could catch.
Axiose

Altruistic Apparitions

100019091 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Time to run to Wikipedia and see if I can read the plot. I always wondered what happened after that finale I watched.

[Axiose] [Fliktor]
Parallax

Fighting 181st

1109279 Potch
250 Soldiers
3275 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ahhh, I remember this show!

Hahah, that's great news about it, too. I'll have to keep tabs on this. Just hearing the word 'reboot' brings back all kinds of nostalgic memories. I think the plot of the show is pretty much lost to me, but I do remember a couple of the characters. Wasn't there a crazy witch with a comedy mask style face that changed expression based on her mood?

He's a victim - not a perp - and I'm choosing to let him go.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think I remember some black liquid thing merging two villains together and attacking the heroes, is this that series?
Elc

Rebel of Babylon

1121979 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Parallax wrote:
I think the plot of the show is pretty much lost to me

The basic overall plot was that Mainframe and all its inhabitants are computer programs. The Guardians are the protectors of the systems (until Daemon screws with them, but that's a different story) and their primary functions are to keep the viruses in check and defend the system from the games the user plays. If the user wins a game, the sector upon which the game cube fell (hey, Nintendo! Mainframe came up with "game cube" first... they're even purple!) along with all of the sprites/binomes playing the game are nullified. (though there has been exceptions to this rule...)

Quote:
Wasn't there a crazy witch with a comedy mask style face that changed expression based on her mood?

Hexadecimal! Yeah, she was Megabyte's sister, though they used to be one and the same. She was pretty much a benign virus who had a thing for Bob, so much so that towards the end of the series she would do anything for him. You've really gotta salute the Queen of Chaos, she was another great character.

Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:
I think I remember some black liquid thing merging two villains together and attacking the heroes, is this that series?

Yep, that is definitely ReBoot. In fact, it relates to what I stated above. The episode in question was "Gigabyte" (a late season two episode) which featured a web creature possessing Megabyte and had him merge with Hex into, well... Gigabyte.
Ujitsuna

Red Shoes Dance

936547 Potch
12000 Soldiers
675 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Gregory House wrote:
Hayashi Ujitsuna wrote:

Yep, that is definitely ReBoot. In fact, it relates to what I stated above. The episode in question was "Gigabyte" (a late season two episode) which featured a web creature possessing Megabyte and had him merge with Hex into, well... Gigabyte.

That episode scared the heck out of me! The way they were abducted and merged should never have been witnessed by my young and pure eyes!!! It was quite a good show though I must admit and I used to watch it a fair amount, so it is pretty good that children nowadays will be able to experience it.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When I was younger, I really wanted to like ReBoot. It looked decent and had a setting that I liked, and everything I read about it made me want to watch it, but every time I actually tried to watch it I was so bored.

It was a nice try and good for its time but, man, it wasn't that great and I doubt it stands the test of time much either.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Agahnim

Endurvakning

932410 Potch
200 Soldiers
36 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
When I was younger, I really wanted to like ReBoot. It looked decent and had a setting that I liked, and everything I read about it made me want to watch it, but every time I actually tried to watch it I was so bored.

It was a nice try and good for its time but, man, it wasn't that great and I doubt it stands the test of time much either.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this, as those were practically my thoughts as I was reading through this thread. I couldn't get into it at all.

Regardless though, if you liked it, I guess getting some feature length movies now after all this time must be pretty cool. Unless of course, it's really aimed at children, in which case I think some people might not enjoy it as well as they remembered enjoying it.

"The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Media All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: