Suikoden Uncanny and Illusional Kriegspiel Objective Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rune image symbolism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And here I always thought it was just a phoenix in the fire rune. 0.0 *sweetdrop* It's got it's wings spread and the part on top's it's head and the little bit on the bottom is it's tail...I never even stopped to question since, you know, phoenixes often represent fire and all. *whimpers* Does anyone else see it, or am I just imagining things?

(These things really ARE the geekier, Suikodenier equivalent of a Rorschach/inkblot test. 0__0)

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Horned Loa

Guardians of the Merchant

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

*blinks* Whe? A phoenix? Where? *stares at the image* I don't see nothing. *steps away from Sophita* o_O'''

Well I think it really doesn't represent anything much (of course I could be wrong) but then again maybe they just needed an elaborate image of the fire/rage rune and came up with that. The same can be said for the remaining four elemental true runes, but then again it is always arguable until we hear from an official source.

.....and what do you mean geeky?
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Holy hell, I never saw that before, Sophita! Especially when zoomed way out, like in our new post icons, it looks a -lot- like a pheonix. I never really looked at it in earnest before, it just... I dunno, it looked like a ball of flame instead of a pillar...ish...thing that the regular Fire/Rage Runes are.
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I actually agree with Benit's interpretation here as it seems like a feasible option but then again these two heads could represent anything chaos related. I'm a little iffy on the passion part as the Beast has no passion but rather thirst for chaos and blood. I'd say one of the heads would symbolize brute force whilst the other would possibly be more symbolic of something like insanity, mind control or an unquenching thirst for blood. I'm just trying to get at the connection Luca Blight had with the Beast Rune. Then again, it could be ambition or a driving force since Hikusaak too wanted to attain all the True Runes. Definitely a war and physical force driven rune.

Well where I got the interpretation is from several things.

1. The rune represents rage and passion, which we all know. The Beast Rune has two heads, and thus each one could represent each vice.

2. There are two terms in society that I'm aware of that deal with rage and passion. For rage, we have 'boiling rage' and for passion we have 'crime of passion'. For rage to boil, it must be an internal feeling gained over a period of time due to horrible circumstances. The external result is passion, and usually they are crimes such as murder, rape, kidnapping, stalking, and so forth. So the rage head represents the internal force of violence, while the passion head is the external release of violence caused by rage. Because the heads look the same, I believe that rage and passion are both equally negative forces.

So we can easily compare Luca to the Beast Rune, with his anger and hatred brimming over the years after the Muse ruffians violated his mother in front of him. He would have heard of other State crimes as well, but this one hit him hard. Now he's an adult and Agares makes him the commander of the Highland army. So what does he do? He uses the army as his outlet to wreck havoc upon the States: his passion, if you would.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Benit wrote:
1. The rune represents rage and passion, which we all know. The Beast Rune has two heads, and thus each one could represent each vice.

*blank stare* Umm, we do? :? Where do you get this from?

Dictionary wrote:
1. a. Violent, explosive anger.
b. A fit of anger.

2. Furious intensity, as of a storm or disease.

3. A burning desire; a passion.

4. A current, eagerly adopted fashion; a fad or craze: when torn jeans were all the rage.

Dictionary wrote:
1. A powerful emotion, such as love, joy, hatred, or anger.

2. a. Ardent love.
b. Strong sexual desire; lust.
c. The object of such love or desire.

3. a. Boundless enthusiasm: His skills as a player don't quite match his passion for the game.
b. The object of such enthusiasm: Soccer is her passion.

4. An abandoned display of emotion, especially of anger: He's been known to fly into a passion without warning.

I guess that can work, but then again I still don't know where in the game you got the representations for the actual heads of the Beast Rune. Passion just seems a little light-hearted for Luca to be associated with. Even when he speaks to Jillia and about his mother he still comes off as a brutal megalomaniac. He just never shows any passion for anything, unless you compare passion to hate, which would make hate a better representation of one of the heads.

On a side note, he already single-handedly slaughtered those ruffians at the age of sixteen so his little "population decrease" project of City-State was more so a result of insanity. I mean, he did get revenge on the ones that wronged him but he wanted to wipe out an entire nation...that sounds like insanity more so than passion to me.
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Rune can symbolize Rage and Passion without Luca needing to symbolize those as well. But Luca -does- have passion. Look right at the first line of the definition you posted. "A powerful emotion, such as love, joy, hatred, or anger." That sounds like a passion to me. A dark passion, yes, but a passion nonetheless.
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes I know that and I acknowledged it in my previous post however I just don't feel that PASSION would be one of the best traits to symbolize the Beast Rune, or any portion of it. Passion in that sense could easily be switched out for a word such as Hatred or Anger as you've just stated, which would fit the Rune far better.

I also don't understand where Benit got the supposed fact that rage and passion govern the beast rune, because that would mean that I must have missed something in the games or that it appeared in a suikogaiden or a comic which I haven't read OR it could be one of those amusing little rumors that get stated and spread for fact such as Yuber hating all true runes when in fact he only mentioned hating the Bright Shield Rune (which isn't even a True Rune itself) and called his own rune a curse, or the other one where everyone believes that Yuber was "Summoned" like a spirit in a sense rather than simply called upon like you would a normal human being.

I'm a little edgy when it comes to false rumors spreading under the disguise of actual fact so I'm just trying to figure out if this indeed IS a fact and where it originate at...[off topic]and on a side note the whole paragraph I just post above this one is comprised of one sentence and for the first time MSWord doesn't seem to have a problem with that. :mrgreen: Just noticed randomly hehe.[/off topic]
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
A True Rune representing animalistic rage and passion; the rune is officially said to have been given to the Blight family by the High Priest Sasarai. However, the fact is that the Beast Rune refused to be contained within Harmonia and took residence in L'Renouille according to its own will. Harmonia hid this fact by claiming that it was a gift, and used it as a political tool. Since then, the Beast Rune laid dormant within L'Renouille until Luca Blight took interest in its power. After the Beast Rune was realized as a weapon of war, huge quantities of blood was sacrificed to it, awakening various "relatives of the Beast Rune" in the form of golden wolves. These wolves caused confusion to the Allied Forces when they took Muse--the city was filled with golden wolves. During the siege on L'Renouille, the Beast Rune took the form of the Silver Wolf and challenged the Allied Forces to a final bout. After it was defeated, it is unknown what happened to the Beast Rune.

Straight from Suikosource. I think animalistic rage and passion work well for Luca. He gives into his animalistic side(this is just a saying since animals actually don't kill for revenge) and let his revenge take control of him instead of using his human feelings and take control of himself.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Beecham

Wind In The Grass

33221 Potch
75 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Where did Suikosource get it, though? No offense to anyone here who is admin over there *shies away from the Emperor* but Suikosource isn't always 100% accurate, as I recall.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hey I'm trying to help you here, stop trying to discredit my source! :P Just smile and nod.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hahahaha, yea I know and your efforts are appreciated. I guess if it is stated there then it MOST LIKELY is true and I do believe that it was Blue Moon who originally posted that comment *glances at SARS* but there really is little doubt that it is wrong as I don't believe it comes from the games themselves but rather from an official outside source judging by that little paragraph as it also does states the whole origin of the True Beast Rune (except for that little High Priest Sasarai bit which should read High Priest Hikusaak).

The point Harukaze was getting at though is that sometimes little assumptions are made that can lead to a mistake in the post but I doubt that is the case here. *waits for SARS to answer* :mrgreen:
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I got the 'rage and passion' part from Suikosource. And I may have sounded forceful, which I apologize for, but I wanted to get my theories across. Take it with a grain of salt, of course, because very little of it is fact.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yes people tend to take for fact things that come from credited sources, usually they are right to do it and everything turns out fine but once and awhile there will be a mistake and it'll come and bite you on the behind.

Urn

Azure Flames

7756 Potch
0 Soldiers
970973 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Doesn't the description of the general information of the True Runes come from the Suikoden Sourcebook articles. I believe they had a few issues in the Shinyos (spelling??) on the True Runes in general. Therefore, I believe the information on suikosource is correct.

KOOLUK SUPPORTS TINTO MINERS
Horned Loa

96000 Potch
1000 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I've just found two new runes directly of off Suikosource which I've NEVER seen before.

THE WARRIOR RUNE

Reminds me somewhat of the Lion Rune both in symbolism and colors but it clearly shows a warrior with his back turned and facing left. Most of the rune is his cloak asides from the hat and the head popping out at top left part of the image if anyone cannot see it (reminds me of Killey's hat actually).

THE WAKING RUNE

Well I know what this does but like the previous rune I've never seen it before. The shape of it obviously symbolizes a state of sleep or trance whilst the two colors symbolize peace and serenity whilst asleep (bottom blue part) and rage and fury when awake (top red part). Basically as you wake up you enter a frenzy and the image somehow manages to convey that message.

@ Milan Fiori: That was precisely what I was watching out for here haha. I know certain reliable sources that made mistakes in the past so I'm cautious about anything that doesn't sound official.

@ Revolving Sphere: I've no idea where they come from, but SARSadmin more than likely does, because I get the feeling he was the one that put them there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: