Suikoden Unique and Illusional Kosher Oblique Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

Rune image symbolism
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Rune image symbolism Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It has been a while sence I have made a topic, really I'm trying to hold back.

The Rune of Life and Death (aka souleater)'s image looks like a siluoette of "the grim reaper", which really takes out the "life part" of the rune.
Some graphics are obvious, the elementals are well, shown as they are, a flame for fire, and a lightning bolt for lightning, but the True versions of some of the elementals are much more fancy than their orginal counterparts. Once I saw a symbol that reminded me of the "true wind rune"'s image, It had to do with sea-fareing, but thats seems to be irrevelent don't you agree?

so what do think? are they just pretty drawings, or do you think some of the images have meaning?

don't make me out to be crazy, I'm told I am a creative person, so I could be putting more meaning on somthing that dosen't need it.

-------------
i guess i should edit this, unless I'd move the topic.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, I'll break down the least obvious True Runes myself, since the elementals and some of the True Runes are pretty obvious:

Rune of Punishment (S4 spoilers): -I always thought the RoP's tail parts represented the sort of strange swirling dimension that Hero IV goes through when watching the memories of prior bearers. They could also mean the two attributes of atonement: punishment and forgiveness. The circle looks like a wheel, meaning it's an everlasting and eternal process, and you don't know when your trial is over, or even if it will be, depending upon your crime. It's an unusually designed rune, I'm sure.

Beast Rune: the two wolf heads would symbolize the rune's incarnation during the final boss, but that's too easy for creative people. 8) It does govern over rage and passion, so the two heads would represent those. The one head oversees hatred brimming within (rage) while the other oversees the release of this hatred (passion).

Dragon Rune: this is, by far, the strangest design for a rune I've seen. I look at it closely for a while, and I still can't get something cohesive. The best I can get are the wings at the sides, but I can't tell if it's right side up or upside down.

Gate Rune: This one's easy. You have the Back half and the Front half visible, with the two jewels on the top and bottom. They aren't connected to the front and back gates, meaning that other lifeforms can get through if the right methods are used, such as Leon and Albert's summoning of Yuber.

Blue Moon Rune: It's design is obvious, but its meaning may not. Why the smaller moon within the bigger one? I think the bigger moon is the Destruction aspect, which is much more easier to fall prey to. The smaller moon is Compassion, which must be found within, like how Sierra managed to discover compassion within herself.

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always thought the dragon rune was a head of a dragon, at least that's what I think it looks like.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ah very nice, thanks benit for your imput,(at least somone saw this and spoke up) but to aviod being grilled I removed my own personal "RoP" symbolism, plus some of it is very personal like the circule shape, seeing as how one has to go through tirals I take it that as "comming full circule" and learning somthing, I took out my awfull anaylisis of "its tails" and that each cout mean somthing, seeing as how one is jagged I assume "omg its attonment" then one can be dumb and say "the forked on is like a hug, so you forgive and hug somone right?" but the cresent in the middle escapes me. going back to the journy idea, you start at one end and wind up at the other, you start as being horribly judgmental and end up understanding and forgiving.

I really like your versions of things, I'm not just saying that, It reminds me of somthing I'd come up with. I was going to elaborate on the Beast Rune's two heads being its twin properties, but thought I should let somone else try and to it. Plus I am lazy, start projects, spred ideas, want stuff to happen but don't want the responsiblity or having to do all the work.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Weyoun

Jem'Hadar

221521 Potch
100 Soldiers
5 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well the circle rune looks like a circle of coarse.

And to me the rune of Punishment looks like a huricane. And its about to punish all the people of the Island Nations (Not Suikox's Island Nations :D ) I think because of huricanes being on the ocean and the Island Nations are on the ocean they kind of fit together.

And as Milan Fiori said, to me the Dragon Rune does look like a dragon head.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benit149

Covenant of Cuchulainn

0 Potch
100 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If it looks like a dragon's head to you guys, then I won't argue it. No matter what, it doesn't make sense to me unless someone explained each part of the Dragon Rune well enough. :?

Benit149: First Lady of Addervon, Princess of Slight Fever, defender of the Nameless.
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
I always thought the dragon rune was a head of a dragon, at least that's what I think it looks like.

That's what it looks like to me. :)

This is what I see, others may see it different. Think of a Suikoden style dragon looking straight at you.

Starting from the top, the two points on the ends are the ears, the two in the middle, horns.

In the middle the black openings are eyes. further down, two more black openings are nostrils.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I agree. The Dragon Rune does look like a dragon's head looking at you. It may represent the wrath of the Dragon. The symbolism of it's existance...

The Rune of punishment: I agree with Benit. It would be referring to the trials of fate and the two aspects of atonement. It's very well designed.

The Rune of Beginning: I fine the design a culmination of the Shield and Sword but more as a mixture. The two are infused together to show unity after the fated battle. Symbolizing the creation...

Blinking rune: You just knew that i would discuss this! I think it's design is based on the appearance of a person when teleporting... It's like a bird with wings... It's a symbol for spontaneous travelling...

Draining rune: It kind of looks like a caped figure with a scythe. It could represent a vampiric figure that absorbs life...

The Blue Moon Rune: Yes, I think Benit is right. The outer moon would be the aggressor and the inner is the philantrophist. It's a symbolim of inner kindness and outer aggression.

The Beast Rune: The two heads is the reincarnation of the beast rune boss at the end. But it may not just be that, Benit. It could have a symbolis to the two sides. As the Boss' abilities are taken into account, it would be the reincarnation of the qualities of violence and justice. though those qualities are clouded by the actions of the bearer...

Shrike: It's really a strange symbol. But it may represent speed and agility. So it suits the rune itself. and the ninja bearer.

Goss: I don't know why it took the image of a water buffalo or tamaraw (in my country). It could be another nae for them. I don't know what goss means. Buti t may have something to do with the Axe and Power of force in itself.

Well, those are the few i can talk about right now. I'll add more runes later! :D

Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

VikiFanatic wrote:
Shrike: It's really a strange symbol. But it may represent speed and agility. So it suits the rune itself. and the ninja bearer.

To me the shrike rune looks like a bird in flight, more precisely a swift. Ninjas being quick this sort of makes sense.

Clone rune: Looks to me like two faces one larger the other smaller in the process of motion, much like the effect the rune has.

Fortune rune: is odd, sort of looks like two crowns one laying down, one standing up.

You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A shrike is a type of bird of pray, which is what I think the rune is supposed to look like. The same goes for the Kite rune.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Neclord

The Spectral Nightmares

163602 Potch
2 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Milan Fiori wrote:
A shrike is a type of bird of pray

Hey, learn something new everyday. I had the bird part right at least.

:)

~ Napoleon Bonaparte
Milan Fiori

Vanguard Elite

715991 Potch
0 Soldiers
7777 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And for all you smart arses, yes it's a bird that prays! I know I spelt it wrong so don't pick on me! :evil:

VikiFanatic

Keepers of Balance

841792 Potch
0 Soldiers
760 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ok. I get it now... So Shrike is a real life bird of prey. Thanks for the information. I think we got one rune's mysteries figured out. I'm still confused about goss though...

Unicorn Rune: Doesn't look like a unicorn. But it does look like a spear that's going up...

White Saint: It looks like an upside down wing. Could possibly be another symbolism... But unfortunately, this one, i can't interpret...

John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, spear going up = horn. Horn. Unicorn. Unicorn horn.

And the White Saint rune symbol is a white flower. Saintly like.

Some things just aren't that complex.

The Clone Rune is a simple shape representing someone charging forward a great speed, the smaller bit to the right being an 'after-image'.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
kuwaizair

blauuurgggh!

174392 Potch
0 Soldiers
1291 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

wow, amazing, we seem to be ageeing on somthing. anway. The shrike is a songbird, not a "bird of Prey", BoP's are things like hawks, eagles, falcons and the likes. The Shrike has a nice habit of implaing its prey with sharp objects, In human terms it would be like using thumb tacks to hold a bag of potato chips on a corkbord.

As for the white-saint rune, we need to brush up on our flowers and flower symbolism. Prehaps its a type of lilly.

The true wind rune is kind of "hurricane" like in apperance, being round and all, acctualy more like a tornado.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suikoden Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: