Suikoden Ugly and Illegal Kibbutz Old Xperience

Suikox Home | The Speculation Shelter | Tablet of Stars | Suikoden Timeline | Suikoden Geography |Legacies

[ View Profile | Edit Profile | Nation System | Members | Groups | Search | Register | Check PMs | Log in | FAQ ]

The Pope's Last Moments
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He was a man, I don't care how great he was. And, in my opinion, he wasn't anyway. He was in a positon to say a lot of stuff and he did. And a lot of it was nice. And a lot of it was bull. Give me a mic and I can say that we shouldn't kill each other and that abortion is wrong too, it doesn't make it right.

I honestly like the Pope as a person, he was a genuine nice guy, who wanted things to be better, but he's 'only' a religious leader, he changed nothing. I do find the Church selfish, it gives money to charity, that's great but it could stand to give more, the Vatican doesn't need a huge surplus of cash just lying about 'for a rainy day'. It may give as much 'as any organisation' but it could stand to give a lot more if it wanted.

But that's beside the point, and people don't seem to understand what my post meant. I don't care about the Pope dying because he's the Pope, I care about the Pope dying because he's a frail old man in pain. He's famous, that's why everyone seems to care. I don't see many people weeping for the one person who dies every second on this planet.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That point about the Vatican having all those priceless art works / gold and silver stuff, and somebody noted that if they were to get rid of such works, it would be a cultural disaster. The Vatican holds almost 2000 years of European history in its vaults, there is no reason to move it. Practically speaking, it is obviously more effective to convey a message from a grand setting than an old, decrepit one.

The Pope's JOB is to tell people to follow the commandments and Jesus' word. If this involves getting involved in political affairs (such as capital punishment which he hated and I apporve of, or abortion which we neither approve of), then so be it.

Because being the Pope involves more than running around on the popemobile waving at people, ya know? :)

Anyway, no need for this argument to get heated, let's keep things civil...

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, y'know, I'm not cursing his name here. I mean, do people only read the first part of my posts or something?

Artifiacts of European history and the like are important but do you equate it above human lives? If so, I guess it makes sense to place their priority above the needy. And I also made reference to the fact that a great deal of the Chruch's wealth is in cash, in banks, not in artifiacts. Besides, they can still survive if you, maybe, sold them to museums and gave a percentage of the cash raised to those who would help the poor and needy.

In this day and age, I don't someone to be in a shiny room to be impressed by his words. Let the Pope have a nice pretty room then to make grand proclomations from, if you feel it's neccessary but isn't that really against the Christian spirit to 'lure' in followers with the image of wealth?

Anyone can also tell anyone else what to do. I just don't get to live in the Vatican while doing it.

And, yet, people seem to miss my point. I'm not caring because he's the Pope, I care because he's an old man, like any other old man, who's suffering in a hospital and I don't want anyone to go through that. (This is the part of each of my posts that everyone does their best to ignore, seemingly thinking instead that I simply don't care, period.)

And, to be honest, I find that a heck of a lot more 'Christian' than caring simply because he's my Big Boss.
One day, I shall come back. Yes, we shall all come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Lunarblade

White Wolf Templars

1428 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
Well, y'know, I'm not cursing his name here. I mean, do people only read the first part of my posts or something?

Artifiacts of European history and the like are important but do you equate it above human lives? If so, I guess it makes sense to place their priority above the needy. And I also made reference to the fact that a great deal of the Chruch's wealth is in cash, in banks, not in artifiacts. Besides, they can still survive if you, maybe, sold them to museums and gave a percentage of the cash raised to those who would help the poor and needy.

In this day and age, I don't someone to be in a shiny room to be impressed by his words. Let the Pope have a nice pretty room then to make grand proclomations from, if you feel it's neccessary but isn't that really against the Christian spirit to 'lure' in followers with the image of wealth?

Anyone can also tell anyone else what to do. I just don't get to live in the Vatican while doing it.

And, yet, people seem to miss my point. I'm not caring because he's the Pope, I care because he's an old man, like any other old man, who's suffering in a hospital and I don't want anyone to go through that. (This is the part of each of my posts that everyone does their best to ignore, seemingly thinking instead that I simply don't care, period.)

And, to be honest, I find that a heck of a lot more 'Christian' than caring simply because he's my Big Boss.

I'm not disputing your point at all. In fact, I totally understand it. I'm really not a Christian at all, so his death doesn't really touch me in a religious way. All I'm saying is that the Church has been getting a bum rap by a lot of people for a while, and that in THIS case it's a bit undeserved.

Sinocard wrote:
I dont think I am above women, I think I am above everyone.
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll agree with that. Seems like we just had a mis-understanding of sorts before. I quite like the Church but I just had to put some of my views down to clarify why I say what I say about the Pope. Happy that's cleared up. Back to the man himself then.

Right now, I just hope he goes in his sleep or something similarly peaceful. It sounds terrible to say, but I hope he doesn't cling painfully onto life as long as he can, it'd be terrible for him to go through all that or end up having a machine doing his breathing for him. I feel he should go on with dignity, as any man deserves to after, to be fair, dedicating his life to something.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Woah, guys, let's keep things civil or this thread is going on a one way train to locksville, with a brief stopover in lockvinsky, and possibly a refueling in Kalamazoo Lockamaroo. I'm a fan of voicing dissent, but remember to do so respectfully.

Anywho,

Personally, while I've never completely agreed with all his viewpoints, I think Pope John Paul the Second was the best pope of the 20th century, possibly one of the best of all time. He did so much for the Church. He helped to heal the long breech between Catholics and Jews, Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthadox Catholics. He reached out to everybody and anybody, and he never rejected people for being too poor or being the "wrong" religion or what not; that is unfortunately a rare trait. He was one of the few people on this earth who, I think, loved everybody, as cheesy as that might sounds.

He even forgave the man who tried to kill him, and visited him in prison. How many people could do that? Turn to a person who had tried to end your life, and say, "I forgive you."? That's a humbling lesson to learn; there are times, I think, when everyone feels they could kill someone for far less. He seemed like a real honest to goodness Good Guy, and there's not too many Good Guys in this day and age. Could the Vatican have given more? Sure. But many churches don't even give to charity, and a whole ton of people don't either.

Could he have done more?

Perhaps. (Of course, everyone could; if everyone in the world donated more to the poor, we might not be able to end poverty, but you know what? We could do a dang lot to cure it.)

John Paul the Second did a heck of a lot, both personally and as pontiff, and he was only human. I might not have always agreed with him, but I always respected him, and even though I never met him, I get the sense that he would do the same for me even though I'm not even on the level of dirt compared to him.

John Layfield, I don't understand how you don't think John Paul the Second was a very inactive pope. During his time in office, he:

*Was the first Polish pope, and the first non-italian in nearly 500 years; it was a breaking of barriers

*Was and always has been a solid crusader against Soviet communism, unbridled capitalism, political oppression, and was not afraid to weigh in on more controversial issues like abortion

*Took more than 100 trips abroad; more than any other pope. These trips helped build global bridges, something I think is ever more needed in today's society if we are all to survive.

*Beatified and canonized more persons than any other pope

*His strands on issues like euthanasia, abortion, capital punishment, etc. are well known and highly influential in modern society. Whether you agree with him or not, the pope's words tend to hold a lot of weight on the subject.

That's quite a lot, IMO.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

She who makes me laugh wrote:

Woah, guys, let's keep things civil or this thread is going on a one way train to locksville, with a brief stopover in lockvinsky, and possibly a refueling in Kalamazoo Lockamaroo. I'm a fan of voicing dissent, but remember to do so respectfully.

Haha well said madam!
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am being civil. I agreed with Lunarblade in my previous post, there was no malice in any of our earlier posts. So far, I've said that the Church could do more to help people and that I like the Pope. Well, if that's going too far...

Anyway, I never claimed he was inactive, I just said that it made no difference to me.

He was the first Polish Pope? So? That wasn't an 'act' on his part, he didn't become Polish to break barriers, he just happened to be Polish, it can't be attributed to him as a great choice he made. He weighed in on important issues, sure, and people listened, and took guidance from his words and done both good and bad things. I, however, listened to experts in the fields of which he was commentating on. The fact is, the Pope is a guy, like everyone else, who has opinions like everyone else. He had a chance to offer them, he did. That's what he did, that's his job.

And, well, he can nod his head as much as he wants when advisors read out lists of possible 'saints', that means nothing to me. Besides, that's not a reflection on him, that's to do with THEIR lives, wouldn't you agree?

I am not going to try and disrespect the man because 1) it will construced as not being civil no matter how well I phrase it, like everything I've posted so far and 2) I don't disrespect him anyway, I like the man, it'll just be construed that way.

Strip away the power and the frills and what do you have?

An old, kindly, forgiving man, like a whole bunch of people all over the world are now as well who won't get world-wide recognition for it.

The problem isn't with my view. It's with how people seem to assume that 'making the Pope human' is some sort of horrible attack on the man.

And that's what I'm interested in, as someone who cares about people.

I care about Karol Józef Wojtyla, a person who grew up in Poland and enjoyed playing soccer as a young man. (in goal) Who later joined the priest-hood and rose up the ranks to become head of the Church. Whereupon, he used that power to try and spread his views of general love and respect as best he could. The man who lived his life to help people and now suffers away in a hospital hundreds of miles away from me while other people assume that he's immune to any form of critisism and that he's some sort of demi-human that you can only praise.

That's the person I'm concerned about, not a title or a leader. And that is no insult.
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield, Its not really that your not being civil its just that I find your posting style to be well I don't know...offensive to some I guess. Mind you I'm Aethiest so I don't have an opinion on the pope one way or the other but I can still see how the way your posting would offend some people.

John Layfield wrote:

He was a man, I don't care how great he was. And, in my opinion, he wasn't anyway. He was in a positon to say a lot of stuff and he did. And a lot of it was nice. And a lot of it was bull. Give me a mic and I can say that we shouldn't kill each other and that abortion is wrong too, it doesn't make it right.

This was pretty harsh even though it wasn't an attack on anyone particular. You even complimented the pope hear but you came off to have a "who the hell cares" type of attitude which would offend some. Just be concious of other peoples devotion to their religion and try not to come off so harsh.
Alcon

I have no idea what this means.

0 Potch
0 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

CNN is now reporting that the Pope is beginning to show signs of losing consciousness.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/02/pope1/index.html
there was no way.
Sophita

The Wee Kitty Grand Duke Defense Brigade

498078 Potch
1330 Soldiers
2725 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:
I am being civil. I agreed with Lunarblade in my previous post, there was no malice in any of our earlier posts.

I know, but topics like this tend to get heated fast, so it's best to come out with the guns early. On the internet, miscommication is often king, and people can easily misinterprete words or even find some that aren't there, and while Jimmy Sue or Lucy Liu might not see anything uncivil with a statement like:

Quote:

doesn't mean that Jimmy Dean and Lurleen won't feel the same statement is fightin' words. And honestly? Even though you probably didn't mean it that way, I can really see that coming off as hostile to someone. I wasn't offended, but if someone was...I can see why. Because that comes off as harsh and flippant, and even while you probably didn't mean that, that doesn't stop people from percieving it so.

Quote:
He was the first Polish Pope? So? That wasn't an 'act' on his part, he didn't become Polish to break barriers, he just happened to be Polish, it can't be attributed to him as a great choice he made.

Good point. Though I do think it was important, more so for the church than him, because the Vatican had been very ...insular, for lack of better word. It was, to coin a very geeky metaphor, like going from Taft to Roosevelt, in terms of what each administration did with the office of President, and what each felt the office was meant for.

Quote:
He weighed in on important issues, sure, and people listened, and took guidance from his words and done both good and bad things. I, however, listened to experts in the fields of which he was commentating on. The fact is, the Pope is a guy, like everyone else, who has opinions like everyone else. He had a chance to offer them, he did. That's what he did, that's his job.

Well, we all have opinions, but the fact is, not all of us are going to be John Lockes or Platos or Socrates. Pope John Paul the Second was well known as a thinker and respected as one. The average Joe Schmo isn't. Therefore, I think it's something notable. Just because there are other experts that people listen to, that doesn't mean that John Paul the Second isn't notable, IMO. The pope did his job, but he did it well.

Quote:
And, well, he can nod his head as much as he wants when advisors read out lists of possible 'saints', that means nothing to me. Besides, that's not a reflection on him, that's to do with THEIR lives, wouldn't you agree?

Most definately, but I think it's also a reflection of him in how he cares about other's lives; someone who wasn't very compassionate would probably just completely skip over it.

Quote:
Strip away the power and the frills and what do you have?

An old, kindly, forgiving man, like a whole bunch of people all over the world are now as well who won't get world-wide recognition for it.

I agree, but how does that invalidate the fact that he's a kindly, forgiving old man who did a lot of good with the position he had? There's a lot of people world over not getting recognition for anything. Why shouldn'r people be awarded recognition when they do a good job, just because others might not be recognized for doing the same task?

Quote:
The problem isn't with my view. It's with how people seem to assume that 'making the Pope human' is some sort of horrible attack on the man.

Well, your view is your view and there is nothing wrong with that. (And hey, I don't view it as an attack on the man.) I guess I just don't see how you can care about the man yet not care about what the man does for a living, his views, and more or less what he's been up to the past 20 years. Perhaps it's because Pope John Paul has been Pope longer than I've been alive, but to be the Pope John Paul the Second and Karol Jozef Wojtyla are one. You can't take the Pope John Paul the Second out of Karol Jozef Wojtyla, and visa versa.

SCII month continues! DueFiumi.com
John Layfield wrote:
But bubbles... children love bubbles! XD

Last edited by Sophita on Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man In Black wrote:
John Layfield wrote:

This was pretty harsh even though it wasn't an attack on anyone particular. You even complimented the pope hear but you came off to have a "who the hell cares" type of attitude which would offend some. Just be concious of other peoples devotion to their religion and try not to come off so harsh.

I'll have to agree with that and apologise for the unitended harshness in that particular paragraph.

Just to explain: my point was that I was upset at his condition regardless of the fact that he was Pope rather than because he was Pope. The rest of the paragraph, horribly written, I admit, was trying to say that the Pope's viewpoints are viewpoints like any other mans, not some form of 'super-command'. Of course, it came out like a "I don't care, screw you all" line, so I apologise for that.

The Vatican are going to give an uodate on his condition at 5PM, GMT. I, for one, will be watching. Apparantly "there's no hope" according to experts and the like... I'll be sad to see him go.
Solitude

Fallen Angels

495 Potch
125 Soldiers
0 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

John Layfield wrote:

I'll have to agree with that and apologise for the unitended harshness in that particular paragraph.

Yeah that was an extreme of your entire post and I picked it just to get the point across to you. I wasn't offended either but I could see how some others would be. Like Sophita said:
Quote:

topics like this tend to get heated fast, so it's best to come out with the guns early

Well like I said I am Aethiest and have no real opinion on the whole thing so I am now bowing out of the conversation. I will still be watching though lol
John Layfield

Last Literature D-Line

509933 Potch
9300 Soldiers
3525 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A last post before I, myself, bow out for now until I get an update on his condition.

While I do, indeed, have an interest in the Pope as both Karol Jozef Wojtyla and John Paul II, my point as of now is that I simply don't care that he's Pope right now, only that he's a man in pain and suffering and who, based on that alone, should be relieved of it soon.

And by "simply don't care" I don't mean it as an attack on anything or anyone, simply that it doesn't factor into my mind, at all, about whether I should care. The fact that he's Pope or that he's famous or that it's simply nice to look respectful of other religions, isn't part of why I care. I simply care because he's in pain, that's all.

That's what I was trying to get at, but I fear the negative top-half of my posts seemingly battered the bottom-half into obscurity.
Vextor

11324811 Potch
23689 Soldiers
160 Nation Points

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although he is the third pope in my lifetime, John Paul II obviously was "the" pope for me, considering his long reign. When I think of "pope," the image I have is clearly that of John Paul II, always striding along in news reports, often pictured with dignitaries of the world. The image I have is that of a vibrant leader who worked himself like no other pope before him. He was a huge factor in the collapse of the Soviet Union. The fact that the KGB hired Mehmet Ali Agca to try and assassinate him in 1981 proves how big of a threat he was to the Soviets. Nations often became democratic after John Paul II visited, such as Chilie under Augusto Pinochet and Poland when it was still behind the "Iron Curtain."

But with his political accomplishments aside, John Paul II is widely known as a warm-hearted figure who has reached out to the poor, especially in third-world countries. Under his leadership, many cardinals were appointed from third-world countries instead of how the Conclave has been traditionally euro-centric. This boosed the Catholic population in the third-world, and a lot of aid has been pumped through the newly appointed cardinals. For this reason, the Vatican loses more money than it makes despite the fact that the "Vatican, whose bank, the Institute of Religious Works, oversees some $5 billion in assets and the world's largest art collection. According to books published on the subject, it holds several billion dollars in gold deposits as well as investments in the world's largest banks and most powerful international corporations. The 2,500 officials of the papal curia have a combined annual salary of almost $100 million" (quoted from some website). Althought that may sound slightly against scripture, the Vatican does spend a lot of money for charity, and mantianing such an organization as huge as the Roman Catholic Church is not a cheap endeavor either (the Catholic Church in the USA alone spent $22million for phone bills in one year).

Whomever becomes pope after John Paul II will have a very difficult task. John Paul II has redifined the role of his office in so many ways, that only his personal charisma can fit the mold (or so it seems). In a time when you can rarely find a leader you can trust in the world (they change their nature and flip-flop, including Bush), John Paul II has been a stark contrast with his strong opinions, honesty, and warmth.

One of the many episodes that shows his personal excellence is the following--
Quote:
Greg Myre, Associated Press:

When Edith Tzirer straggled out of a liberated Nazi concentration camp in 1945, her lungs were so ravaged by tuberculosis, she was too weak to walk. Her protector was a handsome young stranger who gave her a piece of bread and a cup of tea on that cold January day outside Krakow, Poland. And then he carried the 14-year-old girl three kilometers (two miles) from the train station where he had found her.

Tzirer wept Thursday as she re-introduced herself to the man she says comforted her more than a half-century ago - Pope John Paul II. "I was a little girl again," said Tzirer, 69, who now lives in Israel. "It was fifty years ago, and everything that happened then came back now." She remembers the event as if it were yesterday, and was shocked in 1978 when she saw a picture of her old savior, Karol Wojtyla, in a French magazine, and learned he had just become the pope.

Last edited by Vextor on Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Community Forum All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: